STB 4400 vs ATI Rage Fury
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: STB 4400 vs ATI Rage Fury

STB 4400 vs ATI Rage Fury

Si I'm just about to fork out the cash for an STB 4400 when I hear about the new ATI Rage Fury card. I hear that it has 32MB of video RAM. Does anyone know where I could find a comparison of these two cards or a review of the ATI 3D chipset? Should I even consider this card or what?

The ATI line of cards based on the Rage 128 and 128 GL chips aren't to market yet. I read a tidbit from Comdex about their performance. It can be found on this site at
    http://www.hardwarecentral.com/features/opinions/comdexpart1/index4.html. The Rage 128 chips do include DVD decoding and slightly better speed the the TNT so it says.

The ATI line of cards based on the Rage 128 and 128 GL chips aren't to market yet. I read a tidbit from Comdex about their performance. It can be found on this site at
    http://www.hardwarecentral.com/features/opinions/comdexpart1/index4.html. The Rage 128 chips do include DVD decoding and slightly better speed the the TNT so it says.

Chanse Guest
    I would be cautious. THe new ATI cards do a lot of bragging about how fast they will be, but in the past, ATI has talked the talk but been unable to walk the walk. I bought the TnT (Velocity4400) because it is out, it is fast, and it works. My experiences with ATI is that it is a solid compnay with decent cards, that are just too underpowered to compete. Now I see 32Mb of ram and wonder if that may just be to cover a lack of efficiency on their card. I konw that they have so muc hram because they want to grab some of the entry level 3d market, but if their past showing with OpenGL( What OpenGL? ) is any indication, then it might be best to stay away.

Chanse Guest
    I would be cautious. THe new ATI cards do a lot of bragging about how fast they will be, but in the past, ATI has talked the talk but been unable to walk the walk. I bought the TnT (Velocity4400) because it is out, it is fast, and it works. My experiences with ATI is that it is a solid compnay with decent cards, that are just too underpowered to compete. Now I see 32Mb of ram and wonder if that may just be to cover a lack of efficiency on their card. I konw that they have so muc hram because they want to grab some of the entry level 3d market, but if their past showing with OpenGL( What OpenGL? ) is any indication, then it might be best to stay away.

Thread Information