Cool running CPU these days???
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cool running CPU these days???

Cool running CPU these days???

I've been out of the loop for the past year or so...

I currently run a amd 2600+ with a Volcano 11 HS/Fan. I've just started using my pc for 'home entertainment' purposes and hate hearing all my fans on 'high'.

I need to quiet down my PC and I'm looking to buy a new 'cooler running' CPU. What is the best CPU to get (not too expensive!)

What runs cooler? AMD 64 or P4?

I could also use advice on a good HS. Is there any that accept a 120mm fan?

THANKS!
    For fellow Canadians ONLY:

Visit Canada's Air Miles Online Shopping Mall - YourShops.ca
    Earn AIR MILES on every purchase!
    All stores ship to Canada!

Get a 90nm Athlon64 3200+:

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...103-500&depa=1

A good heatsink fan like a ThermalRight XP-90:

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...109-119&depa=1

They do have a version like this with a 120mm fan called the XP-120.

A good case like the Antec P-160 with an Antec 550 True Power will keep the case quiet. Just hook the 2 120mm cans fans up to the thermally controlled fan molix connectors on the power supply. I also got an ASUS 16x dual layer DVD recorder and this is the quietest optical drive I have EVER seem... heard! I also got a new Maxtor 250GB SATA-II 7200RPM drive with a 16MB cache and it too is the quietest hard drive I have heard. Cool-n-Quiet can lower the CPU speed and voltage based on load and even controll the CPU fan. A passively cooled graphics card like a Radeon 9600 AIW would work good and come with a nice remote. A good nForce3 250Gb motherboard would top it all off. Slap in 2x256MB of PC-3200 and you would have a good system for around. That is about $1200 for a full system minus the monitor, keyboard, mouse, and speakers. The whole system would likely put out less noise than the quietest fan in your current system!

The 90nm Athlon64s use less power at full load without Cool-n-Quiet than a P4 Prescott core idling and about half the power when the P4 is at full load. Watching a DVD would be a very light CPU load and with cool and quiet you would be rivalling thin and light laptops for poiwer draw and heat disipation. Most of those parts listed above are in my new upgrade, but I am going the PCI-e route and am still wating for a motherboard. I have everything else.
    AMD Phenom II x4 945 3Ghz | ASUS M4A77TD | 2X WD 1TB SATA 2 hard drive | 2x2GB Corsair XMS3 | nVidia GeForce 8800 GTS | ATI TV Wonder Theater Pro 550 | Antec P-160 case | Antec 650w Earth Watts | LG Blu-ray Super Drive | LG DVD RW | Windows 7 Pro

If your on a budget then you could use an Athlon XP Mobile, they are laptop processors that can be used in Desktop motherboards you can underclock them and some can be run at 1.10V and sometimes even less
    Shuttle System l Intel Core2Extreme l 8GB Ram l 64GB OCZ SSD l Windows 7 Ultimate X64
    IBM ThinkPad T60 l 2GHz Core2Duo l 4GB Ram l 60GB Kingston SSD l Windows 7 Ultimate X64

Or if you have a ton of money, you can always get a 2.0 GHz Dothan. It's a 21W CPU under full load, 3.2W when idle. (I.e., a lot less than even the 35W of the lowest voltage mobile Athlons.) And very much on par speed-wise with the A64 3200+.

You can even run it without a fan, on a big enough copper heatsink. E.g., one site ran it with the Zalman CNPS-7000B Cu, without connecting the fan. It was fairly hot, but it ran ok.

Downside: the "ton of money" part. At least down here a 2.0 GHz Dothan CPU is around 450 Euro, and the desktop mobo for it is some 250 Euro. So you're looking at paying some 700 Euro total just for the CPU and mobo.

For that kinda money you could get a FX-55 instead. However, that won't be anywhere near cool, and thus it definitely won't be quiet.

Thanks Todd_a, I might just take your advice...

I already have a Antec 'Quiet' Case with two 120mm fans. The case has good airflow the CPU still runs hot.

Thanks for the info!

Follow up question...

What the differance between 939 and 754 Athlons??
    Speed? Heat? Cost? ...
    Last edited by Hemiboy; November 20th, 2004 at 10:10 AM.
    For fellow Canadians ONLY:

Visit Canada's Air Miles Online Shopping Mall - YourShops.ca
    Earn AIR MILES on every purchase!
    All stores ship to Canada!

The 756 is a single channel memory bus. The other thing is currently all 756 Athlon64s are 130nm. Only the socket 939 Athlon64s are avluable in 90nm versions. NewEgg has the 3000+, 3200+, and 3500+. The 3500+ has a 1Ghz HT bus and tend to overclock pretty easy to 2.6Ghz. This is what I have. I still wait for the motherboard though. Everybody is anouncing chipsets and motherboards, but nobody has actually shipped one. No ETAs. Nothing! I got $1200 in parts sitting idle doing nothing. I cant even use the hard drive or video card in any of my systems as the are SATA and PCI-e.

Here is a test from AnandTech about power draw. It was pertaining to the Prescott cored P4, but he through in Athlon64 scores and a single 90nm Athlon64 3500+:

http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets...px?i=2275&p=13

86w idle to 114w full load is VERY impressive (They were equipped with x800 XTs but the video was not under full load though). He does not state what power supply is used, but if it was say 70% efficiant than this system only draws 80w under full CPU load. It idles MUCH lower sinse this is without cool-n-Quiet enabled. At 60w after the power supply and possibly 50w with Cool-n-Quiet enabled you are looking at a VERY low power draw for the CPU. I would not be supprised if it used about 15w at idle at 1Ghz and 1.1v.

Now take a simalr P4 (3.6Ghz) 210w x.7 and subrtact the 3500's power of 80w and you are looking at 67w more. The same thing at idle can be checked when comparing the P4 3.6Ghz idle draw of 124w x.7 -60 is 27w extra at idle for the P4 system. The P4 already uses a dynamic voltage controll to keep temps down. An extra note is that the P4 uses DDR2 which uses less power.

Cool-n-Quiet controlls the fans and I would not be supprised if it could turn off the CPU fan it idle. Those power draw numbers are less than most passively cooled graphics cards. I have not gotten a heatsink yet for mine, so when I get my motherboard finally I will be testing it to start with the retail heatsink and CnQ. If things are too hot or too noisy then I will replace the heatsink.

One thing AMD has as an advantage is their 3500+ 90nm chip is only rated for 67w and AMD rates them pretty high. The P4 3.6 is 115w. It looks like Intel pegs that draw easy, but AMD does not. I have also heard this CPU runs fine at 1.2v, but I'm not sure if that would mess with the voltage controlls and speeds for Cool-nQuiet. They do have a low voltage version of the 3500+ that is 30w. That is for full load. 30w is not too much more than the 21w of the Dulthan. Idle is probably only 10w by then. That Dulthan is looking mighty expensive for not much cooler opperating temps. Finding a Centrino board, CPU, and heatsink can be a bit difficult. DFI was supposed to be releasing one with an AGP slot, but it was supposadly about $500.
    AMD Phenom II x4 945 3Ghz | ASUS M4A77TD | 2X WD 1TB SATA 2 hard drive | 2x2GB Corsair XMS3 | nVidia GeForce 8800 GTS | ATI TV Wonder Theater Pro 550 | Antec P-160 case | Antec 650w Earth Watts | LG Blu-ray Super Drive | LG DVD RW | Windows 7 Pro

The Inquirer did have an article today about a Centrino board here:

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=19790

The board is the AOPEN i855GMEm-LFS and the specs are:

955GME chipset, built into a MicroATX form factor, supports ATA-150, has one AGP 4X slot, three PCI, two slots for DDR memory, integrated VGA, S-ATA, RAID, Gigabit LAN, 1394, and USB 2.0.
    http://www.aopen.nl/products/mb/i855GMEm-LFS.htm

It comes with a special cooler. It looks like a P4 cooler, but it is shorter. It is a single channel DDR-333 board and it has dual Giga Ethernet. This would make a nice server board. This is the manuel:

http://download.aopen.com.tw/Downloa...Model=i855GMEm

One cool thing is the fans can be controlled by BIOS setting (page 55 in the manuel). There is bus controll, but the AGP and PCI bus is not locked so overclocking might not yeild much.

Here is a reveiw of that board with a P-M 2.0Ghz Dulthan chip:

http://www.extremetech.com/article2/...28505%2C00.asp

It actually performs about the same as a P4 3.6Ghz which means it gets spanked pretty bad in games by an Athlon64/FX.

That 2Ghz P-M runs about $440 at NewEgg:

http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproduc...P=OTC-d3alt1me

NewEgg also has the board, but it is pricy at about $275:

http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProduc...137-057&depa=0

I think that is enough information. It is a good alternative, but would run about $300 more than say an Athlon64 3500+ 90nm and a good socket 939 board and likely not run any cooler do to the limited cooler that comes with it. If it can use a standard P4 heatsink, then you could get the temps down farther and probably overclock it up the close to the Athlon64 performance wise. Really these CPUs are very similar performance clock for clock. The cheapest P-M I could find at NewEgg was the 1.6Ghz 90nm Dulthan chip for $209:

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...111-165&depa=0

If it can use a standard P4 heatsink, then you could get the temps down farther and probably overclock it up the close to the Athlon64 performance wise.
    AFAIK, it's interchangeable with any S478 cooler out there, so yes it can. As I've said, the gamepc review even put a Zalman CNPS-7000B Cu on it.

Personally I prefer "quiet" over "overclocked", so personally I wouldn't get the Zalman. It is quiet, but not _the_ most quiet you can get for a 21W chip. I'd get a good copper heatsink that can take an 80mm fan and slap a Papst 9 dBA fan on it. Now that ought to redefine cool'n'quiet

Or heck, maybe even a 12 dBA one, just to be on the safe side, seein' as AOpen changes the fan voltage with the temperature anyway.

Of course, if you do want to overclock to heck and back, the Zalman is a good choice there. Very low thermal resistance if you rev it up.

$270 for a motherboard sucks though!

We can easily aggree on that. You could get two A64 mainboards for that price.

On the other hand, if you want _complete_ silence, I guess it doesn't come cheap.

You could get a huge fanless heatsink for the Dothan, a fanless PSU and some soundproofing for the hard drives, and just run with an open case instead of having any case fans. Probably can't get more silent than that.

Whether that's worth the cost, though... For most people, probably not.

You could likely get a large fanless heatsink for the Athlon64. They do make them and they do work:

http://www.coolbidnow.com/thfa103cowih.html

Combined with Cool-n-Quiet is should not be too bad. There are also fanless power supplies too, but they too are very expensive ($165 for a 350w).

http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproduc...103-925&DEPA=1

Todd, that HS is in fact _not_ supposed to work completely without a fan. It's supposed to work by being next to the fan on the PSU, if the PSU has a bottom fan, or next to a case fan.

I.e., it's not really a fanless unit as such, but merely made to share a fan you already have on another component. Hence that particular position of the actual HS in relation to the CPU.

And on that page you linked to, they do say in bold red letters: "System fan is required, enhance the heatink performance with the better airflow"

So getting one of those _and_ a fanless HS is... not that good an idea.

Plus, with that one I'd be worried about torque. Weight isn't the only thing. The thing that destroys mobos isn't necessarily force as such, but torque. Which is force times distance. I.e., weight times how far the centre of gravity is from the mobo.

I.e., a hypothetical HS which weighs a whole kilo but is only 1 inch tall would be actually less dangerous for the mobo than one which weighs only 300 grams, but is 4-5 inches tall.

Edit: and that one is a whole 752 grams _and_ some 5.5 inch tall. Better hope you never ever move the case around with that thing on.
    Last edited by Moraelin v2.0; November 22nd, 2004 at 03:55 PM.

True, but all you need then is one 120mm case fan in the back to cool the CPU and power supply. This can be regulated be the Cool-n-Quiet as the PS, case, and CPU temps are pretty relitive to each other. The PS is more efficiant than most and is why it generates less heat. The componants are also able to take the heat better than most. Acording to AnandTech the total system draw was only 114w. This was with a very powerfull graphics card, but mostly CPU load. Even at full load for CPU and graphics with say a Radeon x700Pro 256, you are likely under 150w. The PS should be able to handle this no problem and stay pretty cool. Every reveiw I have seen also says, even though the CPU is about the same temp, the heatsink is MUCH cooler to the touch. This is because the die size is so much smaller. It has problems getting the heat away from the core, but the amount of total heat is pretty low.

Having one thermally controlled fan in a system is pretty mighty. There are other PS that have heatpipes that move the heat to a heatsink outside the case on the back of the PS. The Antec one was just the first I saw. Same with the heatsink.

With a good layout though you can get VERY close to near silence without having to spend that much. My system should be pretty quiet and cool good. I likely will need to get a nother heatsink to replace the retail one. The cooling on the graphics card might need to be changed too.

Yeah, I know you can get pretty quiet even with fans. And probably going no fans at all is fairly pointless anyway as long as the hard drives are going to make some noise anyway.

Still, as pipe dreams go, a system with no fans at all and solid state hard drives... mmm... I'd love that. But even I'm not crazy enough to buy a solid state HDD, so it's gonna stay just a nice dream.

I'm currently building a little download server, the reason being I wanted it to be as silent as my laptop, or as close as, so I can leave it on 24/7 in my bedroom.

I picked up a micro ATX board with AMD 750 cpu off ebay, that's all it says about the CPU. I'm hoping to run it without fan, underclocked, using a stock AMD heatsink from a 2600+ with just 1 large case fan. It seems a close call though... what do you think?

I bought a new 5400 rpm quiet HDD for it as well which will probably be suspended on elastic, so that should be ok.

Temp Rig:
    AthlonXP 1800, Asus A7N266-VM
    256 PC2100, 40Gb 5400RPM HDD
    GeForce MX440 (for now)
    Tagan 330W PSU, XP SP2

Broken Rig:
    AMD 2600+ Barton
    Abit NF7 V2.0 Mainboard
    XFX GeForce FX5200, 256 DDR
    LiteOn DVD Writer
    WD 80Gig
    Seagate 120Gig