NES case
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: NES case

NES case

My NES finally died completely I know, it's really sad, but there was nothing I could do for it...

Anyhoo, I'm thinking about making making it a computer case. I want to find a very small motherboard for cheap (it can be old...I'm not looking for performance). Any idea where I can get something like this? It'll need to run cool, as there will be virtually no fans.

TIA

This is probably the best option for you:

http://shop4.outpost.com/category/Outpost/Electronic+Components/Computer+Components/Motherboards/Eden+Platform/

Current Main Rig:
    AMD FX55 @ 2.9 GHz
    2 GB PC 3200 DDR RAM
    ABIT KN8 SLi motherboard
    ATI X1900XT O/C to XTX speeds

Retired Rig:
    AMD Athlon XP 2500+ Barton @ 2387 MHz. (217*11)
    512MB DDR RAM @ 436 MHz. (PC 3700)
    Abit AN7 motherboard
    BFG GeForce 6800GT OC!

Yup, those VIA based Mini-ATX boards are the favoured for micro-modders. This is a good one for under $100-250 (motherboard and CPU) depending on the speed and power of the CPU, but mostly the motherboard features. There are many other versions and speeds including fanless ones:

http://www.shentech.com/epmot.html

They measure about 6.5"x6.5" and have a slew of features. Some use laptop memory, some have TV out. The best graphics are the ones listing UniChrome. The best sound is their Vinyl Six Track Audio. Some even have PC slots for laptop cards, like for a wireless addaptor. Some even have a Compact Flash slot (I think a bootable one for WindowsCE or Linux Portable. Some have USB2.0 and FireWire. A 1Ghz CPU and UniChrom will give you good DVD playback and might even be able to play some games at low resolutions. The EPIA MII vbased boards generally have the most features

You can also get slim line laptop optical drives (CD and DVDs) and 2.5" laptop hard drives (I think you need an addaptor for these as the cables are differant). Getting a power supply to fit will likely be the hardest, but using mostly laptop componants and a low power VIA system will require very little power. Removing the case and modifying the heatsink might make one fit easy. The board uses a standard ATX and you will need VERY few connectors. I know NewEgg sells basic laptop parts like memory, PC wireless cards, hard drives and slim DVDs.

I did find a IDE convertor cable if you are interested here for about $5:

http://www.bonuscable.com/product_in...oducts_id=1046

You could likely do the whole system for under $500.
    AMD Phenom II x4 945 3Ghz | ASUS M4A77TD | 2X WD 1TB SATA 2 hard drive | 2x2GB Corsair XMS3 | nVidia GeForce 8800 GTS | ATI TV Wonder Theater Pro 550 | Antec P-160 case | Antec 650w Earth Watts | LG Blu-ray Super Drive | LG DVD RW | Windows 7 Pro

Hmm...thats a bit more then I was looking to spend. I will continue to look around, and maybe find some cheaper parts. Like I said, I'm not looking for performance. I was just going to install some NES roms so I can play NES again

Thanks for the info though, I'm still going to do it, and I'll probably get one of those boards.

They did have some older board for under $100. You just need to squeaze a hard drive, CDROM, and power supply in there and add some SDRAM. If you have the other parts and you think they can fit, then go for it, but you will be limitted on what you can do as the older boards and proccessors can not even handle DVD playback very well, but they do have a single PCI slot.

You could get a motherboard/CPU MII1000 for $175, 256MB DDR for $40, 40GB 2.5" drive for $75, converter cable for $5, a slim line CD-R/DVD combo drive for $60, and a 230w micro ATX power supply for $20. You also need a laptop CD to IDE convertor for $10:

http://www.cableclub.com/product_inf...roducts_id=751

This brings you to about $350 for a complete HTPC/internet box in an NES case. It would be a tight fit, but I've seen it done.
    AMD Phenom II x4 945 3Ghz | ASUS M4A77TD | 2X WD 1TB SATA 2 hard drive | 2x2GB Corsair XMS3 | nVidia GeForce 8800 GTS | ATI TV Wonder Theater Pro 550 | Antec P-160 case | Antec 650w Earth Watts | LG Blu-ray Super Drive | LG DVD RW | Windows 7 Pro

Enlighten me. NES =?

Nintendo Entertainment System

Originally posted by DanceMan
    Enlighten me. NES =?
    How old are you man? You've never heard of NES? Man am I fealing old ot 35 to know that one without much thought.

Here is a link to an NES computer mod:

http://www.junkmachine.com/forum/kb...._num=1&start=0

...and another:

http://www.retrosystem.com/nes.shtml

From that site (above) I found a link to here:

http://www.idotpc.com/TheStore/SFF/d...asp?Cate.id=20

They have a bunch of Mini-ITX compnants for a car or home PC gooroo including tiny power supplies like this one for $29:

http://www.idotpc.com/TheStore/Perip...t.status=green

They have both the hard drive and CD addaptors too. They also have the slim CD and 2.5" hard drives, but the prices at NewEgg are much better. I'm not really into an NES mod, but an in dash computer would be cool. I already have a 5.6" LCD TV I could use and my dash has a second slot below the radio. I could add a cell phone PC card and be able to download maps and directions off the internet, watch DVDs, listed to MP3s, check e-mail, and even serf if I plugged in a larger monitor. Fun, fun, fun!

Originally posted by Todd a
    I'm not really into an NES mod, but an in dash computer would be cool. I already have a 5.6" LCD TV I could use and my dash has a second slot below the radio. I could add a cell phone PC card and be able to download maps and directions off the internet, watch DVDs, listed to MP3s, check e-mail, and even serf if I plugged in a larger monitor. Fun, fun, fun!
    I don't think I want to be on the road in your neighborhood when you are doing all that!

The screan is actially made to mount a headrest for the back seat (I have 3 kids), but a trip map and maybe a USB GPS unit connected to it might be cool for up front. Add a remote and a wireless keyboard/mouse and your good to go.

Of course I could mount the LCD into the dash board and reverse the image so I can look at the refection off the windsheild while driving, like a heads up display!

Thread Information