Diamond Viper V550?
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Diamond Viper V550?

Diamond Viper V550?

The computer store I am planning to get my new computer at can only get me a Viper V550 or the one from Creative. I have heard people say that these two companies are sloppy about bringing out new drivers, but gamepc.com disagrees:

Drivers Support: nVidia likes to release a lot of driver upgrades. I expect them to continue to do so. Diamond stays on top of the drviers that chip manufacturers release. This area continues to be a strong point of both companies.

Basically if a V550 will work on a K6-2 system, I'd rather buy everything from the wrong place. Why is it that everybody likes the 4400?

or maybe I should get the Spectra 2500, a little more expensive but it might be worth it if it gives me fewer problems.

Chanse Guest
    I bought a Velocity 4400 for the simple reason that STB is a much more consumer friendly and helpful company than Diamond. Their driver updates are much hmore solid. and the cmpany is easier to contact should you ever encounter a problem.

I installed an early V550 back in late August. It has been great. No conflicts, no crashes. Diamond has updated the drivers and they are stable as well.

All of the reviews I have read are very complimentary about the V550. I think because nvidia provides reference drivers, it's very easy for Diamond to bring out their own. May as well use the nvidia drivers, they have a greater incentive to provide good performance. Diamond probably just slaps their logo on the nvidia drivers, the V550 is basically the same as the TNT reference board design.

Thread Information