Voodoo2/ATI Rage proble????
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Voodoo2/ATI Rage proble????

Voodoo2/ATI Rage proble????

Hello all, I am having a problem trying to get my ATI Xpert98 8mb card (uses RagePro chip) to work with my new STB Voodoo2 12mb card. When i try to launch Quake2 one of two things will happen: 1- 50% of the time the program won't even load and just sits at a blank screen (which i can end-task from to get out) 2- it fires up quake and runs beautifully for about 2-5 minutes before the screen completely freezes showing some slight wavy distortion of the screen (i usually have to reboot to get out of this predicament). I noticed that someone else on this discussion board had a problem with a voodoo2/rage combo and i'll try the suggestion given there about changing the 2 cards pci slots around...but if this could be due to something else that anyone knows about please let me know, it would be much appreciated. thnks,

<AM>Silent Sam

Canna' help ye laddie. But I too would be interested in the solution as I experience the same problem. I have narrowed it down to quake2 though as it's the only game that locks up. Mine will run all the time but about 25% of my frag sessions end with a forced hard-boot as the screen just freezes. No ctrl-alt-del to help, just shut it down. I think it may be a problem with Id as it's the only game I have trouble with. I am running v3.19 so no patch has addressed this problem yet. Good luck!

HEY! I think i found somethin that works! You might wanna try this... I took out every PCI card in my entire machine, rearranged them all into different slots and then just turned the machine back on. I guess this forces it had to reallocate the memory for each of the devices (i'm not sure, i'm no expert at this) but when all was said and done, everything seems to be running fine again (knock on wood). Its a bit of a pain in the butt but it might solve yer problem too. Gluck, Jon and hope it works out for ya. SS

Thread Information