VIDEO CARD PROBLEM!!
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: VIDEO CARD PROBLEM!!

VIDEO CARD PROBLEM!!

I have this bloody problem with my video card
    That's been buggin' me fer a long time....

I have a pentium 200 cpu with a Virge/dx 3d(325) card.....

Whenever my screen refreshes, things would go all blurry on the screen.... switching the monitor OFF then ON would bring it back to normal... this also happens when i off and on the computer

Also, MY computer ONLY supports resolutions of 640X480!!! NO OTHER RESOLUTIONS WORKED!!!

I asked some professional help about this.... they said it was some driver problem. However i changed video cards and tested and it was still the same! Is it a monitor problem? But its weird why only ONE resolution can be displayed... if a monitor is faulty it would most probably NOT display anything rite....

Anyway, anyone with any USEFUL (actually, ANY) advice pls reply to mail me at jpg@singa.pore.net.... this problem is really KILLING me

Sounds like haven't got ANY video driver loaded!

Are you running Win95/98/NT?

If you're running Win95, then it may not autodetect the graphics card and expects you to load the video drivers yourself.

Do a right-click on your desktop and choose 'Display Properties', go to the 'Settings' tab and click on the 'Display Adapter' button and have a look what it says in there. It sounds like you are running in standard VGA mode. See if you can find out the names of the driver files Windows is using.

Davey P
    davepattern@hotmail.com

Are you sure you have a SVGA monitor.
    I guess you might have a plain old
    vga monitor that can only support
    up to 640x480. Check your monitor
    manual first.

JPG - sounds like your monitor will only support 640x480. I have an older (about 3yrs. old) 14" packard bell monitor - VGA only. It can't do anything better than 640x480. Needless to say, I am buying a 17" Sony Trinitron, since I just built a new machine - PII 400 with the Viper v550 AGP card. It's got some killer video!

Also - another hint that it's your monitor is that you have to turn it off then back on in order to clean up the picture. Do you have a degauss button? Some monitors do not have this feature at all. Others do not have a degauss button, but it automatically degausses when you turn the monitor on. It sounds like this is what your monitor is doing. Maybe it's time for a new monitor, eh?

change the display driver it might work.

Anyway, its definately NOT a vga monitor... you see the thing is it WORKED before!! It was working just fine when suddenly it HAPPENED just like that... i did not even change any drivers or anything

BTW i remembered i overclocked my video card before.... could this be the reason why?

As for the drivers, i've tried every driver under the sun from microsoft and s3... but same problem!

anyway thanks everyone for the help.... it was really appreciated :0)

Anyway, its definately NOT a vga monitor... you see the thing is it WORKED before!! It was working just fine when suddenly it HAPPENED just like that... i did not even change any drivers or anything

BTW i remembered i overclocked my video card before.... could this be the reason why?

As for the drivers, i've tried every driver under the sun from microsoft and s3... but same problem!

anyway thanks everyone for the help.... it was really appreciated :0)

Sounds like your monitor is biting the bullet, this is a deffinet possibility if it is a digitally controlled monitor. Try another monitor on your system and see if it works. If it works fine, you know there likely is a problem with the monitor itself, and you should either get it fixed or replaced.

Another thing, look in your device manager (in control panel, then system) and look at the listing for the monitor. Check to make sure it has something other than "unknown monitor" listed. If you dont have a proper inf file for your monitor, just use the generic svga listing for the highest resolution you monitor used to go to. This should work with your monitor as long as it is an svga monitor.
    Sometimes I wonder...

Thread Information