3d Idiot needs questions answered
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: 3d Idiot needs questions answered

Hybrid View

3d Idiot needs questions answered

OK, so you have all these different choices of 3D chips to buy (Riva, Intel i740, 3dFX, etc.), but all I see in the software stores are games that support 3dFX Chipsets. What's the scoop? If I buy an AGP card with an INtel i740 Chip, how will I be able to play my games in 3D? I don't get it! All of the reviews on various cards only talk about the power of the chips, they don't seem to mention anything about availability of games to utilize these different chips. Is there something I'm missing? I'm on a shoestring budget, and I have found an Intel i740 card by Joytech for $65. I don't need the latest and greatest, I just want to see some smooth graphics that will play my games better than my old 2MB Stealth 64 VRAM Video Card. I would thoroughly enjoy a discussion on this topic.

Thanx in advance,

Dude
    (CA Surfer stranded in Alabama)

I have also bought I740 because of it's price. I am, like you, not interested in the latest and fastest and are happy with 30 frame rates instead of 50-60 (Which nobody can tell the difference anyway).

Now, it is true that almost every 3D game supports 3DFX and it's API Glide. However, most decent game company also provide support for OpenGL or Direct3D. Some games also provide hardware support for I740. That is why I went for the I740. It's a nice (and cheap) 2D/3D card. Giving decent performance at it's price.

I'm not that die hard 3D gamer. In fact, I don't even like Quake that much. I like more strategy games or role playing games.

So far, games that I've tried (with quite satifying results too) are:

Direct3D: Mechwarrior 2 Mercenaries from Activision

OpenGL: Unreal from GT Interactive

Hardware support: Final Fantasy 7 from EIDOS

The performance might not be the best, but you get what you pay for. In my case, I'm quite happy with what I got for my money.

=)

Chanse Guest
    It seems like the only games that are glide specific are nothing more than marketing to buy voodoo2 cards. There are so many damn shooters on the market, that if one is glide only, you cna be sure tomorrow 2 will come out that are direct3d and/or openGl. If a game wants to be glide only, i say screw them , they don't deserve my money. And as for strategy and rolep[laying. A lot of the newer ones will be 3d accelerated, but it seems liek they are mostly going the "any 3d card will do " route.

Thread Information