TNT on older CPU????
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: TNT on older CPU????

Hybrid View

TNT on older CPU????

Hi all, hope somebody can offer a little advice. I'm currently on a system with a Cyrix 200(non-mmx) and old 1Mb Cirrus card. I've been wanting to upgrade my vid card for sometime, but so much has come out in past six months that I didn't know what to do. Also, and this is critical, I'm a college student (=poor) about to enter grad school (=dirt poor), so money is a HUGE factor for me right now. I'm going to strongly hint for one for x-mas, but I need to know what to ask for first.

I've heard wonderful things about the new TNT chipsets and that's really what I'm leaning towards getting right now. I keep hearing that you need a fast CPU to notice the diff, but HEY, I'm coming from a 1 meg card here! I would imagine anything is faster than that!! Am I correct, or will the vid card actually slow my system down? I've also considered a Voodoo2 accelerator, mainly because the only game I currently play on-line is glide-enhanced. But I've heard you need a 2Mb 2D card for that. Is this true?

I should add as a footnote, that if the finances work out, I'm going to upgrade my m/b and CPU to one of the new AMD lines (either K6-3 or K7) early next year. With that in mind, what kind of card would you all recommend?
    Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot

The TNT won't slow down your system or something. You just won't see it's full potentials on a slow CPU, that's all. Like driving a Ferrari on a 2 lane countryside dirt road. (At least, it'd be faster than walking) hehe

Anyways, in my oppinion, if you're poor (like me) I'd recommend you to go for an Intel I740 card. It's 2D/3D card at quite a nice price. The performance is however not the best out there, but at this price, it's worth the money.

Keep in mind that if you plan to buy 3DFX, you'll also need an 2D card. I've heard that those combo 2D/3D cards which use 3DFX chips offer quite poor performance (both 2D and 3D) when you consider what you pay for it. Other's are welcome to put any comments on this statement though.

Problem is that I740 is an AGP card. So, you can not use it on your current system.

My advice is that you should be a little patience and upgrade to the K6-3 and buy a VGA at the same time.

i have the TnT pci on a 200mmx and it made a huge difference, so i recommend that since u just want to upgrade your video, get the TnT pci...if u want the cheapest TnT card, get the Creative Blaster, for 15.00 more get the STB Velocity 4400 (this is the one i have)

Thanks for the input guys. One more option I hadn't considered...

Would you guys recommend the Banshee cards? My hopes to upgrade the CPU and m/b are just that right now, hopes. If I ended up having to stick with this processor for awhile longer would a Banshee card be better? Like I said, the only 3D game I really play much is enhanced ONLY for glide. Coming from a 1-Mb Fred Flintstone card, would I be able to tell much of a diff. between Banshee and TNT? And how much would I later lose with a Banshee if I upgrade CPUs?
    Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot

I have a friend with a intel 200mmx who just bought a banshee, he went from 11.0 fps on QII @320X240 to 23+ @640X480. I know, the framerates aren't astronomical but when you consider what he had before?!! Along with the improved framerates, the quality of the picture is amazing! All this for $100,not bad! Also, get rid of the cyrix as soon as you can, I had a cyrix 200mmx and just came across a good deal for an Intel 200mmx(free). It made quite a difference in playing QII. I am also a full-time college student, and am married, so I also have the 1 meg Cirrus. But after seeing the banshee in action I plan on scraping up the money as soon as possible.

I have a friend with a intel 200mmx who just bought a banshee, he went from 11.0 fps on QII @320X240 to 23+ @640X480. I know, the framerates aren't astronomical but when you consider what he had before?!! Along with the improved framerates, the quality of the picture is amazing! All this for $100,not bad! Also, get rid of the cyrix as soon as you can, I had a cyrix 200mmx and just came across a good deal for an Intel 200mmx(free). It made quite a difference in playing QII. I am also a full-time college student, and am married, so I also have the 1 meg Cirrus. But after seeing the banshee in action I plan on scraping up the money as soon as possible.

Chanse Guest
    Ithink the best thing you can do is get a lower priced video card and try to upgrade your processor(I just bought a 100Mhz board with a K6-2 266Mhz for 130.00)
    No matter what card you buy, you'll still be stuck with a dud of a processor

Thread Information