Need a bit of advice on Matrox cards
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Need a bit of advice on Matrox cards

Need a bit of advice on Matrox cards

Basically I'll be getting a new PC soon-ish. The company I'll be getting it from uses ATI and Matrox cards predominantly. What I would like is an all-in-one card for 2D/3D and video capture for some digital editing. This means I'll be looking at something like the Matrox Marvel which is based on the Mystique G200 rather than the Millennium G200. The Mystique uses SDRAM and not the faster SGRAM which the Millennium uses and also has a slower RAMDAC (230MHz as opposed to 250MHz). I could get the Millennium G200 and the Rainbow Runner G-Series add-on card. Does this give me the equivalent of a Marvel based on the Millennium? Are there any functionality differences? Is this a good idea???

Also, is there going to be a new Matrox 2D/3D card coming out in the next few months. Someone told me that there was a Millennium G400 due out after Xmas but I haven't heard anything (and it seems a bit too early considering we've only recently had the G200). Has anyone heard of anything like this???

Thanks.

Chanse Guest
    I'd get the MArvel G200 .It has everything you need, 2d/3d/videocapture/ and tv in and out. SAving slots is the key. You may think you don't need those extra slots right now, but you will. What kind of capture and editing will you be doing. The reason i ask, is that , I've read that the new Rainbow runner will be much better than the old one, but Canopus, has the new Spectra2000, a super fast Nvidia RivaTnT card, with inputs for their new Video port 600, which installs into a drive bay for easy front access. All the features of the rainbow runner, but is supposed to be even better.

Canopus
    nuff said
    Esq.

I've heard some whispers on a new Matrox 2d/3d card to be released in January.
    As for the current set of cards:
    the 250 mhz ramdac of the g200 expresses itself if you have a large monitor ( 19 inch , 1600x1200 or something, and refresh rates well ablove 60 hz.) Look up www.tomshardware.com for reviews.

www.aberdeeninc.com ( goto videocards for specs)

Matrox is releasing new cards I read in magazines and a few websites in a sense in conjunction when the Voodo 3 is coming out. The date Matrox have stated in Comdex (or according to the mags)is q2 1999. While Voodoo 3 which will be a 2D/3D video card at the end of the Q1 1999.

Thread Information