Radeon 9700 - Weird Corruption
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Radeon 9700 - Weird Corruption

Hybrid View

Radeon 9700 - Weird Corruption

Hi guys,

I got my new Radeon 9700 Pro yesterday which I bought from an online auction. I got it at a good price on a no-returns basis as the seller wasn't sure whether it was the card, or his machine that was faulty.

Anyway, I put it in my machine and booted up. The first time it booted, I had lots of blue blocks, evenly spaced out across the Windows 2000 start-up screen and also when it got into Windows.

After I had installed the drivers for the card and restarted again, the corruption on the start-up screen remained, but there was none in Windows. I tried a game, and sure enough, was presented with a screen corruption.

I've tried re-flashing the BIOS to a 9700NP and also a 9500NP, hoping that if I tried to only use 4 pipelines it would be ok. I still get corruption in 3D applications, but none when sat in Windows. I've tried running the Milkdrop plug-in for Winamp and I get no corruption in that, although I get corruption while playing a video in WMP.

So, my question is... has anyone had this problem before? Is the card faulty, or is it a simple fix? I've taken the shim off and bolted the old CPU heatsink I had fixed to my 9500 to the card, so it can't be overheating. I'm just about to try flashing to a 9700 Pro and will also try the Omega drivers.

Oh, it has Samsung RAM.

Thanks for any replies.

Oh the joys of Doom 3 with 512mb RAM

As you can see, in Windows I get no corruption.

This is what the corruption looks like with the 9700 Pro bios...
    Last edited by agw_01; October 13th, 2004 at 06:57 PM.
    Desktop - XP2100 @ 2.4GHz, Abit NF7-S, 1gb DDR500 Crucial Ballistix, 120 + 160gb HDD, Windows XP
    Laptop - Athlon 64 3000, 1gb RAM, 40gb HDD, Radeon Mobility 200, Windows Vista
    Server - P4 1.8GHz, 768mb RAM, 2x 40gb HDDs, Win2k3 Server

This looks bad! A few things you can try:

Make sure you have the latest drivers.

Flash the graphics card's BIOS.

Turn off things like AGP fast writes, change AGP appiture size, or lower the AGP speed in the system BIOS.

Underclock the card.

Up the AGP voltage.

It could also be a mod'd 9500Pro or something goofy like that and the enabled extra pipelines are no good. If it is a real 9700, then I'm leaning toward bad memory, but you never know.
    AMD Phenom II x4 945 3Ghz | ASUS M4A77TD | 2X WD 1TB SATA 2 hard drive | 2x2GB Corsair XMS3 | nVidia GeForce 8800 GTS | ATI TV Wonder Theater Pro 550 | Antec P-160 case | Antec 650w Earth Watts | LG Blu-ray Super Drive | LG DVD RW | Windows 7 Pro

I read about stuff like this happening on 9500PRO's, 9700PRO's and some 9800PRO's

upping the AGP voltage helped the problem in some cases.
    Shuttle System l Intel Core2Extreme l 8GB Ram l 64GB OCZ SSD l Windows 7 Ultimate X64
    IBM ThinkPad T60 l 2GHz Core2Duo l 4GB Ram l 60GB Kingston SSD l Windows 7 Ultimate X64

Originally posted by Todd a
    Flash the graphics card's BIOS.
    ...and make sure you're flashing the right BIOS for your RAM!

Underclock the card.
    This has helped people with similar problems in the past.

I think it's on its way out though, mate.

Damn, I have the same card and same problem. Had it working for 3 months before the display got distorted. Tried flashing the BIOS&underclocking the RAM, etc. It's got the same Samsung RAM btw. I've given up on it, but it'd be great if you found a way of getting it working - I want to swap it with my Ti!

Nick
    Main PC: A64 3200+ | 1024MB Kingston RAM (Dual Channel) | WD 160GB | Seagate SATA 160GB w/NCQ | Asus A8N-SLi Deluxe | Connect3D ATi X800XL Pci-E | Coolermaster ATC-710 case | Antec NeoPower 480w PSU | Toshiba 27wl46 27" TFT

HwC member's gallery - Upload your picture here

Team HwC Folding@Home results - Find out how to sign up here!

Thread Information