Need best card for Aladdin V chipset
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Need best card for Aladdin V chipset

Hybrid View

Need best card for Aladdin V chipset

I just bought a k-6-2-350 and an asus P5a board. I was hoping to use the Viper550 with it. I heard that is not possible. I am open to suggestions. Will the new Monster Fusion likely work? G200? Should I get a different m-board? Thanks in advance. Lagman

The Intel 740 would make a great choice for the ALI-5 chipset,Affordable,Compatible,and looks good! I run ATI on all my systems that have super-7, but for gaming I added a V2-12 MB. I've tried the Viper 550 and STB 4400 and was unable to get either to work properly. Same happened on the VIA-MVP3 chipset. I have never tried the Monster Fusion. The best thing when you get a new card is to download the latest drivers from the website and if your using Win 95 you will notice a conflict under the display properties "Don't try to change them" Many people believe there card don't work because they try to fix those. Sorry just trying to help others at the same time. Matrox G200 also an excellent choice for ALI-5, currently Matrox has drivers optimized for 3D-now and in my opinion "Even though I dont own any" has the best support, patches,and Web page! Easy to use. Hope this helps...

Chanse Guest
    I would definitely avoid the i740 , precisely because it is cheap. IF I was broke I would still not get it. It may be cheap, but that is because it isn't worth more than that. I've read about some problems with video cards and that chipset, but I've also read that a lot of the problems are being fixed. IF there is a problem is is highly likely that it has bee nfixed already, you just haven't found out about it yet. I spoke to someone the other day running an Alladin board and aSTB Velocity 4400. It is fast. I would avoid the Diamond Viper550. Diamond is less than helpful to their customers. The G200 is a beautiful card, but I found it just too slow, compared with the newer crop of cards. IT was a great offering, but Matrox was one step behind the pack(as opposed to the twenty they used to be)
    I tried the Fusion and it was nice, but in and multitextured games( I think that's the right technical term)Quake2, unreal, (and anything else newer) it craps out.
    I would search high and low for inf oon your board with a TnT and go buy one

I understand you concern about compatability. There are typically "issues" with all new hardware etc. The most important thing for you to do is to keep current with the latest updates and patches. Keep Alladin's and your MoBo's and your Video Card's Website bookmarked. If you would have (just trying to help) you would have seen the Alladin's patch for this issue. My opinion on boards is.. if you are going to spend any money at all.. it might as well be WORTH it. $150 for a premium card is worlds apart from a card that costs $80. So.. forget the i740, please, for your own good, and spend $139 for a STB Velocity 4400. Remember, the patch IS available and people are currently running this combo AND are probably alot happier than the rest!!! Try these sites: compwarehouse.com & alladin.com(whatever it is)

My opinions are strong...but right on the mark.

Chanse is right, Diamond was once a good name and are relying on that for sales... but, they are the worst when it comes to support, driver updates(really bad), and features...

Arcadian

As of 11/04/98 STB has better support for the ALI-5 and 4400. If you can get your hands on a 4400 "Do It" Looks just as good as my ATI and V2 combo!

Thanks for your help. I am going to try either the STB 4400 or the ATI rage 128, I heard all ATI cards work. Are these cards roughly comparable? We are putting the box together 11/21. lagman

V550 works just fine on my P5a B after installing the latest drivers from diamond

it's faaaaaaaaaaaast

I've had an Intel i740 with my Asus P5A-B and AMD k6-2 300cpu and it would not work.

Intel then informed me via my supplier that the intel i740 chipset will only work with a BX chipset motherboard.

So that puts all super7 boards out of contention.

I'm about to try a S3 Savage3d

Thread Information