Is dual voodoo2 sli setup too much for p200mmx
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Is dual voodoo2 sli setup too much for p200mmx

Is dual voodoo2 sli setup too much for p200mmx

I have a P200-mmx, TX chipset and 64megs edo ram. I am running an out of date Diamond Stealth 2000. I want to up grade both the 2d and add real 3d capability. My question is would dual Voodoo2 boards in SLI be too much for the cpu or chipset? I am a little partial to Matrox and am considering putting in a Millinieum 8mg pci card with dual voodoo2's. Is this too much? Can I get anywhere near the same performance from any non-agp 2d/3d combo's. Thanks for any input you can offer. I appreciate the expertise of this group.

This is not too much for your system. You may not get screaming fast frame rates (100+) , but you will post faster frame rates at higher resolutions than you would be able to with other cards. Most of your games will pay butter smooth in 800x600 resolution, and alot of them should also play smooth at 1024x768 resolution. Another bright side would be that these cards will also follow along as you upgrade, because currently, a pII 450 does not hit the performance max of these cards. If you have the money to drop them in there, more power to you. At your speed of processor, you wont find anything that will be able to play 3d games faster.
    Sometimes I wonder...

Chanse Guest
    With all that money you're looking to throw around, you should look into getting a new processor. You can bump up to a 100Mhz boarda nda 300Mhz K6-2 for 200.00 Instead of all that money spent on video . Buy an ew processor and board, and get a banshee ,or TnT, thne add a voodoo2 if you want. I figure a matrox and two voodoo2 card will run around 300.00 minimum. 300.00 will get you a board ,processor, and a pretty good video card.

DRC Guest
    Remember that if you are going to upgrade to a P2 and a new motherboard, chances are you also need to get new memory, as most MMX systems used EDO simms. So tack on a few hundred more for decent PC100 SDRAM dimms. Also, if you have onboard sound you will need to get a new sound card as well. If only upgrading were as simple as popping in a new chip...

To put it simply, Yes it's to much!!!
    I've a p200mmx, and 1 v2 12 megger, and my cpu is dragging my v2 down... if i had 2, what a waste... you see the cpu, is going to bottle necking the info... get a faster cpu, then sli...
    My 99 sheckles
    Esq.

Can you run 1024x768 on your voodoo2 not in sli?? Cant be done without special drivers and losing the z-buffer. A dual voodoo2 in sli would post about 10% or faster than a single, but you will be able to play all the games at 1024x768 resolution with full 3d rendering, and without losing the z-buffer. Yes I agree, the p-200 will bottleneck the cpu, but it will still run fast, and it will stay up with your system as you increase processor speeds. The person wanted to know it was too much to run on his sytem. This is a yes and no question. The voodoo2 will run fine on it, and will get good frame rates, plus in sli will be able to get over 800x600 res that single voodoo2 cards are locked to. But it will be faster than the cpu will be, so the sli will be waiting for data from the cpu a little more than it would be on a PII. My friend just went from a single to a dual 8mb sli voodoo2 setup, and he gets butter smooth frame rates at higher resolutions. He is runing a p-233. A dual 8mb route would be a good money saver option, as you can probably find a single voodoo2 card for about a 100 dollar street price in the states now. I can get one in canada for under 150, and doubling it up will get you almost as fast frame rates as a dual 12mb rig would get. The only time you would see a difference is with really high resolution texture games.
    Sometimes I wonder...

Thread Information