What graphic card to buy?
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What graphic card to buy?

What graphic card to buy?

I own Pentium 200MMX with 64Mb EDO Ram with Matrox Millenium II, PCI. I am looking for a new PCI graphic card. I cant make up my mind between Banshee, Revolution 3D, or Viper 550. I also like to play games so would any of these be enoough for hi frame performace without addiotional 3Dfx card?

Since you've "only" got a 200MHz you probably shouldn't go for a TNT-based card such as Viper 550 since they are at their best in combination with a powerful P2. I guess a Banshee would be a rather good choice (I'm thinking of one myself). Also, the TNT is better as AGP, the Banshee doesn't take so much advantage of the AGP-bus.

I was thinking if Spectra 2500 would be the best choice for me?

Listen to the milkman...... The TNT needs a 400+mhz to shine...
    Banshee boy, go banshee...
    My 12 pounds
    Esq.

I had an impressive performance jump with the voodoo banshee on my 166MMX. I'm only running with 40Mg of EDO ram. I think the video board is faster than my CPU can handle but, from all the studying I've done it's not as taxing on your CPU as the others. I've heard both the S3 and the TNT are cpu hungry. Like the Milkman says though, there's no notable performance boost in AGP

Question for ya Tron. You said you're running
    a 166 with a Banshee board. Should I assume that you've got a motherboard with a 100Mhz bus or do I not know what I'm talking about? Reason I ask is because up until about 3 days ago I was thinking about a Pheonix Banshee, 'til I "realized" that I may not be able to use ANY decent grahphics card with my 66Mhz PCI bus. Lemme know if I'm in left field with my logic. I'd love to be wrong and find out that I can use something with a Banshee chipset, even if it will be at peak performance. Thx. for suggestions/opinions.
    B-

Beldin,
    Left field my freind you are in left woods, with is passed left field.... Most cpu's run on a 66 mhz bus, only newer systems use the 100 mhz bus...so your in the banshee will be fine...i think you want a 166+ mhz system...do you???
    Ok
    Esq.
    P.s. Just kidding about the woods....

Don't really know what you meant by that last sentence about a 166+ Mhz system. Maybe restate? What I meant to say when I posted that question (which BTW made me sound like a complete incompetent) was that I had a 32-bit PCI bus expansion slot. As I understand it that is not what boards such as Banshee run on/off of, ie 128 bit now, am I correct? How I got that concept so mixed up I don't know. Anyway that is what I meant to ask. Any opinions/suggestions appreciated.
    B-

Beldin, I ment 166 mhz cpu...or more...
    What System do you have??? I would say go Banshee... Unless you have a PII 400+mhz system...Give us The low DOWN...
    Esq

You can use a Banshee, If it's PCI...
    NP...PCI is PCI... AGP not PCI
    GOT IT
    YOu are Good to go
    Esq.

Thx for the reply Esq. Let's see I have a 6x86 P-200+ processor running at 150Mhz. Like I said I have plenty of open PCI slots but they are 32 bit bus (love for someone to explain what the diff. is between that and 128 bit, speed I'm guessing). I have only 32 megs of EDO RAM, probably upgrade that sometime soon, add some SDRAM. That's about all the useful information I can think of. Unfortuately my rapidly thinning wallet tends to inhibit that purchase of the PII 400+Mhz system.;-). Thx. Adios.
    b-

NoProblem,
    I have a ??? Your P200 is running at 150 WHY?? I will tell you you could get a 300a Celeron, overclock to 450MHZ, MOBOard, Case, fan, Banshee, For like $450.... just an Idea.
    Remember all PCI are 32 bit, Its simple, AGP= 64Bit I think...
    Esq.

Yes, I know ABITBH6 mb, celeron 300a processor made in Malyasia, fan made for overclocking set jumpers and BLAM! 450+Mhz. Only prob. is I like the price tag of $90 for a Banshee alot more than ~$450. I agree though, great way to end up with a killer system. From what I understand my Cyrix processor runs at 150Mhz and performs at a Pentium 200 level. Was that the type of answer to the ??? you asked? Never have looked into oc'ing the processor I have now. Hmmmmmmmm.....
    b-

Chanse Guest
    Whatever you get, PCI or AGP, is 32 bit, AGP just lets the video use system memory for textures and such The faster AGP enables this to happen, so the more memory you have on MB, the faster it should be, theoretically.
    Although some PCI cards allow this too. AGP sounds great, but in practice, I've seen little improvement over PCI. THE agp bus is great, but very few cards actually use it to full advantage. THe advantage of agp would be a kick *** card with only 2 or 4 mb onboard(supercheap) and use system memory for textures and such. I have a dual pentium pro180Mhz(which in 98 runs as a single) and just bought a Velocity 4400 TnT PCI.
    It is faaaast. I think it is the best single slot card. The 2d is great, and the 3d is more than fast enough, and clean tv/out.
    I kee preading that if you don't have a super fast P2 , then get the Banshee, but i tested it and the TnT beat it on three lowe end systems we tried.

Not really a reply, but I'm in the same "low end blues" boat, so here I am.

I've got a P75 (ewwww), 32M EDO, s3d virge. And OY my ulcers.

Needless to say, my framerates in Quake II are order 10^0 (single baby, single). The machine gun sounds like a Harley that's missing a cylinder - Put put put...

I have a P200 (non-mmx) on the way for $82.50, and am looking at the vboard opts.

The whole 2D/3D weirdness confuses me. If I get a 3D voodoo2 card to replace the s3d dog, I don't need to shell out the cash for a 2D card too, do I?

Then there's the question of banshee vs voodoo2 vs voodoo (I don't know jack about the other chipsets I might wanna check out).

Lastly, the question of video memory. 12M OK?

Thanks for letting me hop onto your thread, Marko. No need to be embarassed about a "lowly" 200mmx, my friend. Everybody's PII 450s will be used for skeet shooting in 3 years. OK OK sour grapes.

Thread Information