What graphic card to buy? - Page 2
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What graphic card to buy?

Well, here is a thing.
    Voodoo and Voodoo 2 DO NEED a 2D card because they only have 3dfx chipset. Your choice might be Banshee, because it's the firsth 3dfx card that has a 2D functions, and has a pretty good 2D performance.
    So that is the firsth big difference between Voodoo, Voodoo 2 and Banshee. Second one is that Banshe doesnt support multi-texture so Voodoo 2 will still do a better job in 3D with games which do support multi-texture. So I think you should go with Banshee card and spend around $150 for Diamond Banshee.

So can I just leave my s3D virge in and add a voodoo2 or TnT 3D card? I guess I didn't know that I had a 2D card. Me not so bright.

What about all this banter about low end sytems not taking advantage of these hot vcards? Am I wasting my time maxing out my current PCI mobo with a P200 and adding the 3D card?

Sheesh, I just gotta bite the bullet and get a new case, moboard, CPU, and RAM. Damnit Jim, I need more framerates!

Doesn't anyone make a mobo that will run a dozen or so 486DX66s? They go for like $7 a pop, now.

Yes, you can leave your old card....

Why not just get the TNT? It does 2d/3d on the same card with great framerates.(and good 2d performance too)

If you want to add a voodoo card to your system, you should probably just look into a voodoo1 card not a voodoo2 card. You will not see alot of performance increase on a p200 with a voodoo2 over a voodoo1. The voodoo2 really needs a pentium II to start to show off its muscle. I got 20fps on a p-166 with a voodoo1 card running quake II.
    And no, you cant keep your s3 virge card it you get a tnt riva card. This card is a 2d/3d combo card. It is way faster than the s3 virge in both 2d and 3d. (yes the virge is a 3d card, but a poor one). If you got a riva tnt card, you would get better frame rates in games than a voodoo1, and you would be able to run games at higher resolutions.
    The voodoo1 is limited to 640x480 resolution in glide and open gl. Id direct 3d, the voodoo 1 card can goto 800x600 without a z-buffer, so the speed and quality are not as good. Another thing is the riva tnt really needs to be in an agp port to do its dirty work. that is why canopus is not offering the spectra 2500 in a pci version. You could look into it, but a banshee 2d/3d combo card would probably fair better in a pci version for a p-200, but you wont get the image quality or high resolutions the Riva TNT cards can do. Just imagine Quake II at 1120x864 resolution.... makes one think...
    Collinj
    Sometimes I wonder...

Daniel:

There's not a lot of point in buying a TNT card for a 200MMX or whatever it is. a TNT is pretty CPU-hungry, you won't get the full benefit of your investment if you stick it in an MMX system. Also, MMX system's won't have an AGP, a TNT makes a lot of use of the AGP at times. PCI + 200MMX = Voodoo1. For anything better (read more expensive) you need a faster (read a lot more expensive) computer. a TNT's framerates basically go up according to the CPU, you need a REALLY fast computer to stretch the TNT to its limit.

I have a p200, and had a v1, then got a V2 I did see an increase, so it's a judgement call, You can get a V1 for less than 50, or a V2 for 99, so it's your call...
    I say Voodoo2
    My 56 french Fries
    Esq.

Chanse Guest
    I just bought a STb velocity 4400TNT. I'm running a dual P Pro180Mhz. It may "shine" on a P2 450Mhz, but it certainly kicks @$$ on my \machine now. I'd just buy it that way when you upgrade your cpu(You know you will... with the way prices are falling, they are becoming cheaper than video cards)You'd have a crad you can still use. Banshee is outdated technology before it was even on the shelves. It's a good card for a cheap price. The TnT is a great card for a good price.I'd spend a little more to have a little longevity. IF you buy cards every two months, then by all means buy whatever, but if. like me ,you want something to last at least until you've paid for it , then go with a TnT.

humm, TnT made a huge difference on my 200mmx, and i plan to buy another to put in my new 400 k62 i am building now. Where do i find the Quake 2 timedemo at to test FPS?

Ah, the fine lines.

Me guess I would be wise to go one of two routes:

1) for me P200 PCI, just get a cheap voodoo1 card for now

OR

2) Save me dough, and get an AGP mobo, k62-3?? and a TNT. I've seen K6-2 350s for about $125.

Thanks to all - Peter

Chanse Guest
    If you want K6, get a K6 -2 266Mhz. It's sooo easy t ooverclock no reason to buy a 350 when you can run the 2656 at 350 . And best of al it's only 80.00
    And today i o'clocked my TNT( all you need isa 486 fan. It comes with a heatsin kalready) it is smokin'

if you have a P200 with no mmx, get voodoo 1
    instead of voodoo II or TNT, that costs you
    less than $50 and you also keep your s3virge
    for 2d, pretty good deal. If you get voodoo2 which is more than twice the price of voodoo1
    There is no way you can see a 2 fold speed
    comparing with voodoo 1, not even 30% faster.
    So make your jugdement and get the right card. Lots of people don't have much money.
    Everybody knows PII450 is faster than P200,
    but PII450 is not the choice for everybody
    because its price is not 2.5 times of a
    200MHZ CPU.

How do you overclock the TnT board?

Ok simple Q. on a celeron 300 what would be better, a v2, banshee or tnt. I know about the tnt high end shine but is it decent on this or will a banshee suffice. (also think q3!)

Oh another one. on a p2 266, would the tnt outperform the v2? all benchmarks are on 400s now and low ends go with celerons and mmx. what about the middle guys! we have the right to kick arse too! im wondering if its worth to get that tnt for q3 or brave it out until v3 rapes the 3d world.

ok i luv u byebye

The main problem with banshee is that it only has one texel unit and as such is slower under games that use multi-texturing.

If buying a brand new system I would say go for the TNT. As long as your processor is reasonably fast you'll get great performance comparable to a V2, but it costs less (in australia anyway) to buy a TNT vs a V2 AND a 2D card.

If you've already got a 2D card, then by all means buy a V2 (if you don't have an AGP slot, buy a V2 as well. Your computer is obviously a bit slow like mine hehehehe)

Thread Information