Need help with cpu fan/heatsink
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Need help with cpu fan/heatsink

Need help with cpu fan/heatsink

Ok, sorry it's kind of a long story for me, i really hope someone can explain a few things to me. ok here i go:

this weekend i bought a new heatsink/cpu fan (vantec Va4-7245) to be exact. before that, asusprobe read my cpu temp to be around 52 degrees celsius. after i installed new sink/fan, it shot up to 56,57,58,59. my computer even auto shut off 3 times so i took off the side panel and now it's fine again. asusprobe continues to read temps around 57.

so i dled MBM5 because my friend recommended it and said asusprobe usually reads 10 degrees higher than actual (i also saw this in another forum). well it turns out i don't know how to work the settings for the sensors of this program. my mobo is A7N8X Deluxe rev <2.0. i read on the mobo list that for cpu socket i must set to asus 2 and for case i must set to asus 1. as for diode, i really have no idea what "W83L785TS S Diode" means, and i don't know what sensor chip is.

what i ultimately did was just ignore the diode part and set the asus 1 and 2 and i got 56 for case and 30 for cpu socket. i'm now very confused. i hope someone can tell me what's going on and how to work this MBM5 thing. sorry i typed so much, it's just that today i messed up so bad. thanks in advance.

It can seem a little confusing. The 56 will be your cpu. The "case" temp of 30 is either the air temp on the board or the temp of the chipset. The diode (you didn't tell us what your cpu is) will be the temp diode sensor in the cpu itself and wiil be higher than your other cpu temp, which comes from a motherboard sensor under the cpu.

sorry, i'm still a bit confused, my cpu is xp 2800+ barton core.

so my cpu is at 56? isnt that very high for xp processor? and the increase in temperature after i installed new sink....

p.s. how do i find my diode temperature? thnx.

It's just common sense -- the higher number is your cpu.

In MBM, open Settings, then choose Temperatures. You have two boxes on top. The top box chooses a name for the sensor, so now would be a good time to note which sensor (the box below) has been named case, and which cpu and swap them. Then you have labels Sensor 1,2.3, etc. Take one of those and attach it to the diode sensor. Remember to click on "Apply" at the bottom left when you're done.

I've now put case (sensor 1) as asus 1 and socket (sensor 3) as asus 2 and diode (sensor 2) as asus 3.

now it reads case 28 diode 127 and socket 45, diode seems high O_O

Thread Information