Power Consumption
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Power Consumption

Power Consumption

In my room I have two computers running all the time, two monitors, and a component 500W surround sound system (with an active 150W sub as well). I am curious on a couple things. First, my main gaming rig (see sig) has an Antec TrueBlue 480W PSU in it. Looking at everything I have in my sig, I'd guess that I probably use about half of its capacity nominally. My question is this: though the PSU is rated for 480W of output, does it constantly suck this much juice from the wall? What I mean is, though the components in my computer may be using only 250W at any given moment, does the PSU take as much as it can from the plug?

Also, I listen to music every night and set my reciever to sleep after 60 minutes. Well, sometimes I fall asleep before I get a chance to turn the sleep function on, so the reciever is still on in the morning, but obviously it isn't playing any music. Though the speakers aren't playing any music, does the receiver suck as much power as it would when they are playing music?

I could have probably asked these questions in fewer words, but this is the best I could do. I'm trying to calculate the power consumption from my room, in case anyone is wondering. TIA
    Last edited by SaulTurnedPaul; September 23rd, 2004 at 04:38 PM.
    Opteron 165 @ 280x9 = 2.52GHz
    ASUS A8N32-SLI Deluxe
    BFG 7600GT OC
    Corsair 2GB DDR400 Dual Channel
    Seagate Barracuda 200GB SATA
    NEC 3500A 16X DL DVD±RW

I know the AMP in my 600w suround system stays pretty warm uless it is in full sleep mode. It likely is using about 1/3 the full wattage. For CPU temps though, you must remember your system might draw 200+ watts, but the PS is only 70% efficiant likely and generates its own heat just to convert the power. A monitor is only like 5w in sleep, but 60-100 when out of sleep. You really could be generrating about 500-1000 watts of heat in this room. Then there is a light or two (say 40-100w) and a few other nick-nacks and you are pushing things pretty high. I would want at least a 10-15A breaker just for your room. Your also likely dumping about $10-15 a month in electricity.
    AMD Phenom II x4 945 3Ghz | ASUS M4A77TD | 2X WD 1TB SATA 2 hard drive | 2x2GB Corsair XMS3 | nVidia GeForce 8800 GTS | ATI TV Wonder Theater Pro 550 | Antec P-160 case | Antec 650w Earth Watts | LG Blu-ray Super Drive | LG DVD RW | Windows 7 Pro

A kilowatt/hour is to draw 1000 watts for 1 hour. At 110v, that is less than 10 amps.

I have 3 computers in my basement right now, but add an additional 3 during LAN parties or more. I have 12-3 wire and a 20A breaker. I run one more computers, my laptop, and home entertainment system on a 15A fuse. During LAN parties another laptop and desktop can be added, but the entertainment system stays off. Other systems during LAN parties are run in the kitchen (a 20A fuse). I have had 12 systems in my house without any trouble. My laptop draws about 70w and most of the others are much weaker (older Dell P3 1Ghz systems). Most of the Desktops were in the P4 3Ghz and AthlonXP 1600-2400 range with Radeon 9700Pro or less.

My power costs are not too bad for my house considering I have at least one TV and 2 computers running almost all day (one computer 24/7) and lots of lights on (3 kids). I average around $50 a month, but I only do LAN parties about once a month.
    AMD Phenom II x4 945 3Ghz | ASUS M4A77TD | 2X WD 1TB SATA 2 hard drive | 2x2GB Corsair XMS3 | nVidia GeForce 8800 GTS | ATI TV Wonder Theater Pro 550 | Antec P-160 case | Antec 650w Earth Watts | LG Blu-ray Super Drive | LG DVD RW | Windows 7 Pro

Anyone thinking about the pollution that the power being used is causing?

Of course one person using that much power won't make a difference, but of course lots of people will. There is a guest staying in my house at home and when she goes out she leaves on the computer, two lights, and a radio. It's not as though it's difficult to flick a switch. To me, turning off things when i leave the room is just an automatic habit.

I don't mean to rant and I don't mean to sound like a tree hugger, because I'm not, and I don't beleive all the hype about global warming, but this talk about how much power is being used and how much it will cost in monetary terms with no mention of pollution gets to me a bit, especially when recent events such as hurricane ivan could be contributed to by the masses not turning off lights or computers and such when they're not in use.

Oh and I think W was incredibly irresponsible to leave the Kyoto agreement. But let's leave politics out of this!

Thread Information