I want the best possible card for p166mmx
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: I want the best possible card for p166mmx

I want the best possible card for p166mmx

I have a p166mmx with 32 megs of RAM (I know, that stinks), and I'm wondering what is the best 2d/3d PCI card to get.

If you dont care so much about image quality, compared to performance, get a video card based on the Nvidia Riva 128 chip. This is about the fastest in d3d you will be able to get on your computer in a 2d/3d card that is very afordable (this card is as fast as a single voodoo2 in d3d games, but doesnt look anywhere as good). Another alternative to the riva chipset is the rendition v2200. These cards are very affordable, and are good all around cards for this speed of computer. d3d is not as fast as a riva 128, but the image quality is alot better. Either of these would probably be your best bets for your setup.
    Sometimes I wonder...

If you dont care so much about image quality, compared to performance, get a video card based on the Nvidia Riva 128 chip. This is about the fastest in d3d you will be able to get on your computer in a 2d/3d card that is very afordable (this card is as fast as a single voodoo2 in d3d games, but doesnt look anywhere as good). Another alternative to the riva chipset is the rendition v2200. These cards are very affordable, and are good all around cards for this speed of computer. d3d is not as fast as a riva 128, but the image quality is alot better. Either of these would probably be your best bets for your setup.
    Sometimes I wonder...

Sometimes I wonder...

Sometimes I wonder...

Please dont mind this post, I got a server error, and the post got posted 4 times!!!

Oops!!!
    Sometimes I wonder...

Chanse Guest
    Up until two weeks ago, I was running a Riva 128, and it was sweet. Before that I had a V2200. I would avoid it. The visual quality was excellent, and was actually prett fast, but bottom line, rendition is a **** company.
    The Opengl icd BETA was just released two months ago. I ran the card for months (after it had sat on the shelf for a while) with an ALPHA driver. BY the time the driver gets finalized, the card will have bee ntotally forgotten. I find the single most important factor to be driver support. The Velocity 128 had som problems when it came out, but Nvidia did jump and do what they could to fix them.

Yeah, A Riva 128 might be nice, wouldn't a Banshee or G200 or TNT be faster, even with my processor?

Thread Information