what graphic card to buy ?
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: what graphic card to buy ?

what graphic card to buy ?

I've got a P2-266MHz with 65mb ram and was thinking of upgrading my graphics card to replace my old PCI with an AGP one.
    I was thinking about buying a Riva TNT based card but I'm afraid that it relies too much on processor speed and may need a faster cpu than mine. Has anyone tried a TNT on a similar system ?

You're thinking right... A Banshee or G200 would be better.

Chanse Guest
    Get a TnT. I keep hearing about how a TnT is not for a low end machine. I'm running a dual P Pro 180Mhz,(slow for games, it's a 3d machine) I just got the Velocity 4400TnT and it rocks. The Banshee is limited in functionality regardless of cpu speed.
    And the G200 , although beautiful(I've long been a fan of Matrox)is just plain slow, compared to what's out there.
    And, all your processor has to do is play the game, it's not like it has to run photoshop and scandisk ...etc... while you're fragging someone. Plus, the TnT will have the longest life of any of the cards out now. Banshee is a temporary solution for 3dfx, the G200 is matroxs' first try in 3d, i assume the next will be better, but that's when????

Get the Riva TNT board... With your processor and ram, you can expect to get minimum frame rates in most games past 30 fps in resolutions no other current 3d card can do (even dual voodooII cards cannot touch the top resolution of the tnt cards).
    Remember the key here: minimum frame rates. This will be with 30 things blowing up around you and 8 guys moving around on the screen. Your average frame rates will push the 50's. Plus the other bonuses of the riva card are: It only takes up 1 slot (as compared to the 3 slots a dual voodoo II system would be giving up for video), it has excellent 2d speeds passing the g200 matrox offering, and most other cards (even cards worth alot more money) and last it has the best 3d image quality of all the chipsets. Sure some people would argue with that, but from what I have seen and heard from the majority of people out there, the quality stomps on voodoo/voodoo2, savage 3d, i740, and nudges out the matrox g200.
    Go.... no, RUN to your local outlet and scoop up a TNT card as fast as you can!!!

Ps... the tnt has good tv out quality as well.
    Collinj
    Sometimes I wonder...

G200

G200

Chanse Guest
    The G200 is beautiful, (NOt bad for Matroxs' first real attempt at 3D) but just too slow compared with the other new cards on the market. It should have competed against the V2200(Rendition), voodoo1, and Velocity 128, . With what is out now, it just can't keep up. The only G200 I would get is the Marvel, to get the rainbow runner features.

Thread Information