videocard
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: videocard

Hybrid View

videocard

I have a 486dx2-66mhz 16mb ram and w95 what I need is a cheap but reliable videocard.

You need to find out if your system is using vesa local bus (vlb), pci bus, or extended industry standard archetecture (eisa) bus. If you are lucky enough to have a 486 with the pci bus, then your choices are more. An ati mach 64 is a good cheap pci based 2mb video card. The ati mach 32 is good if you have a vlb mother board. Also if you are looking at new cards, you will be limited. Diamond offers the speedstar 64 isa bus video card. They are very reliable and cheap, but are slow due to being on the isa bus. You will likely have the vlb in you system. If you can find a diamond viper vlb video card for cheap, this is about your best choice. They were some of the fastest video cards available for the vlb bus. Any card you can find that will work in your computer that is either: diamond, ati, matrox, elsa, hurcules, stb are all very reliable cards and will suit your needs quite well. You first need to find out what your computer has for mother board slots...
    Collinj
    Sometimes I wonder...

You need to find out if your system is using vesa local bus (vlb), pci bus, or extended industry standard archetecture (eisa) bus. If you are lucky enough to have a 486 with the pci bus, then your choices are more. An ati mach 64 is a good cheap pci based 2mb video card. The ati mach 32 is good if you have a vlb mother board. Also if you are looking at new cards, you will be limited. Diamond offers the speedstar 64 isa bus video card. They are very reliable and cheap, but are slow due to being on the isa bus. You will likely have the vlb in you system. If you can find a diamond viper vlb video card for cheap, this is about your best choice. They were some of the fastest video cards available for the vlb bus. Any card you can find that will work in your computer that is either: diamond, ati, matrox, elsa, hurcules, stb are all very reliable cards and will suit your needs quite well. You first need to find out what your computer has for mother board slots...
    Collinj
    Sometimes I wonder...

Yeah, get dimond viper, that babe is fast.
    But now that almost all old cards are gone,
    they might be even more expensive than the
    new cards, that sucks, bigtime.

Thread Information