Finally got a new heatsink. (pics)
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Finally got a new heatsink. (pics)

Finally got a new heatsink. (pics)

Well, I finally got around to downloading the pictures off my camerea of my Thermalright SLK900a. This thing is a beast I am telling you.

It came with a 92mm fan rated for something like 55dba @ 12v. I pluged it in, and mad did it push air. It also pushed my ear drums a few inches back into my brain.

Easy Fix to this problem.... I ran 7v through it. It still pushed a lot of air and was much much more quiet.

I tried 5v to see if it would even start. It spun up fine and was pretty much silent!

I have kept it at 5v since then, it runs about 36 idle - 38 load, with a case temp around 30c

Here it is next to my ol' CAKII 38

Here she is installed in my case.

Overall I find this to be a great sink. The only thing I didn't like was the clip.
    Last edited by K62; August 29th, 2004 at 02:04 AM.

sweet pics, how do you change the fan from 12v to 7v?
    Main
    AMD Athlon 64 3000+ 512 cache
    Asus K8V
    Samsung 1gig (2) 512 ddr400 timings 200mhz 2.5-3-3-5
    Zalman CNPS7000A-ALCU
    Radeon 9800PRO
    Audigy2
    Logitech z640
    Pioneer 107d
    Toshiba dvd 16x40
    BARRACUDA SATA 120GB,300GB
    ENERMAX 450w PSU
    Windows w2k Pro

On one of the molex power plugs for your drives, the yellow is +12V. the red is +5V. Both blacks are ground. Connect beetween the yellow and red and you get 12-5=7V. Or you can use resistance in the form of a resistor or a potentiometer to drop the voltage and the rpm.

Here is a picture of what DanceMan was talking about as to the wiring.

http://www.toron.be/hellsgamerz/cmod/fanvolt.php

Some of the reveiw sites actually found that an 80mm fan on these beasts cooled better. This has something to do with the dead spot in the middle of the fan and the best airflow on the outside. Well a good chunk of this best airflow blows over the outside of the heatsink and it wasted.

I have an SK-7 and it has a flat base that the fins are attached to, not the larger triangle wedge the larger ones are attached to. It has the same problem, that too much air blows over the edge of the heatsink, but it can only take an 80mm fan. Well sinse the base was flat, I unhooked the edges that are connected sogether and bent the fins out a bit so they fan out wide enough for the full width of the 80mm fan. My temps dropped 4'C for this free mod. The larger SK-800/900 and heatsinks like that would be much harder to mod in this way. Maybe you could bend out just the top half of the fins to get similar results:

If you notice, I did not bend the fins the same on each side. My motherboard had the heatsink too close to the power supply, so I had to do it off center so it could fit in the case still. I actaully did the mod with the heatsink still installed.
    Last edited by Todd a; August 29th, 2004 at 10:27 AM.
    AMD Phenom II x4 945 3Ghz | ASUS M4A77TD | 2X WD 1TB SATA 2 hard drive | 2x2GB Corsair XMS3 | nVidia GeForce 8800 GTS | ATI TV Wonder Theater Pro 550 | Antec P-160 case | Antec 650w Earth Watts | LG Blu-ray Super Drive | LG DVD RW | Windows 7 Pro

I should take a picture of the fan installed

Yeah that does make sense Todd. I noticed that the fan hangs over the side on the top and bottom of the heatsink, but I figured it may be a bit better in my case because it is now blowing on my NB heatsink too. Not that my NB needs active cooling :P but I guess it can't hurt eh.

The only thing I am a bit worried about, is the way I installed the heatsink. It came with 4 little pads, because the way the bottom is the heatsink doesn't make contact with the 4 pads on the Athlon. So you are supposed to add your own.

Lets just say I never noticed those pads until I had it installed and put away.

hahah no cracked cores yet.. but next time I take this PC to a lan I think ill take the sink off and add them.

orr.. maybe if the core cracks it will justify me getting a mobile 2500+

ohh but I can't. Just spent $400 on a new soundcard and speakers.

There she is with the fan installed. There is a big dead spot with that fan, but the temps are GREAT so I don't mind :P

(hmm I think the sensor in my maxtor 80gb is wacked)

Now that is a large dead space in the middle for that motor. Someone else told me to shift the fan over to one side to hel pget the better airflow from the fan into the heatsink. That way it might help cool the northbridge even better and get a bit more of that "better" air to go into the heatsink. I think when I did this on my SK-7 I got about 1'C better temps, but you might see even better results. Just line up the fan along the opt edge and let the rest overhange the bottom of the heatsink.

Moving the fan back about 1" and adding a duct would also likely help things out. I've also wondered if maybe a pair of those TT "hampster wheel fans on top would work good. I think they are 70mm with a shroud so they fit on 80mm heatsinks.

I never put the feet on mine, but your heatsink probably weighs about 50% more than mine. Just don't bump your case too hard and you should be fine.
    AMD Phenom II x4 945 3Ghz | ASUS M4A77TD | 2X WD 1TB SATA 2 hard drive | 2x2GB Corsair XMS3 | nVidia GeForce 8800 GTS | ATI TV Wonder Theater Pro 550 | Antec P-160 case | Antec 650w Earth Watts | LG Blu-ray Super Drive | LG DVD RW | Windows 7 Pro

Originally posted by Todd a
    This has something to do with the dead spot in the middle of the fan and the best airflow on the outside.
    I have a Coolermaster Aero 7 on my Athlon XP. It has a blower style fan and if you look at the way it's designed, it has more uniform air flow over the whole area compared an axial fan.
    My web machine
    ~Econobox 60W~
    Power consumption at the plug while web browsing: 60W
    It's very quiet.

Intel D815EEA2 Desktop board
    Intel Celeron 1.0A @ 1.0GHz w/ Intel Fan
    ATI Xpert98 8MB AGP 2x videocard
    Sound Blaster PCI 128 soundcard
    WD 40GB ATA100 7200RPM HDD (8.4GB 5400RPM ATA33 circa 1999 Maxtor decommissioned and eBay'd off)
    384MB PC100 (3 x 128MB)
    40x12x48 BTC CD-RW
    300W Enlight PSU
    100% normal looking case. Certified free of fruity, sad looking, PC rice mods.

Re: Finally got a new heatsink. (pics)

Originally posted by K62

Here she is installed in my case.

Overall I find this to be a great sink. The only thing I didn't like was the clip.
    By the way, that mobo is designed well with heatsinks on voltage regulator FETs. Those FETs are the ones responsible for actually regulating power supply's voltage down to CPU's voltage at the command of voltage regulator.
    My web machine
    ~Econobox 60W~
    It's very quiet.

WD 40GB ATA100 7200RPM HDD (8.4GB 5400RPM ATA33 circa 1999 Maxtor decommissioned and eBay'd off)
    384MB PC100 (3 x 128MB)
    40x12x48 BTC CD-RW
    300W Enlight PSU

wow that is one nice big heatsink!

ive got a coolermaster Aero 7 lite, and i love it for what it cost me as at the time i didnt want to pay alot for a HSF, plus it looks great through my case window

Gigabyte Z87M-D3H l Pentium DC 3.2GHz l 16GB Ram l 64GB OCZ SSD l Radeon 7750 OC Edition l Windows 7 Ultimate X64
    Dell OptiPlex 745 l Intel C2D E6600 2.4GHz l 4GB Ram l 64GB OCZ SSD l Windows 7 Ultimate X64
    Lenovo ThinkPad T61 l C2D T7700 2.4GHz l 8GB Ram l 60GB Kingston SSD l Windows 7 Ultimate X64

Re: Re: Finally got a new heatsink. (pics)

Thanks for the replys guys!

Originally posted by Jerboi
    By the way, that mobo is designed well with heatsinks on voltage regulator FETs. Those FETs are the ones responsible for actually regulating power supply's voltage down to CPU's voltage at the command of voltage regulator.

I added them a while ago. The got very very hot so I figured it couldn't hurt to add some sinks to them.

They got so hot before that I couldn't keep my finger on them. I don't like anything in my case running that hot.

Todd, that does sound like a good idea, but if I shifted the fan down an inch, the clips holding it on would be bent... I would be worried about the thing falling off.

She doesn't even go over 40c, so I am not worried about it.

Also as you can see that fan has fixed blades, they kind of look like they may help move the air towards the center.

Originally posted by Martin_89
    wow that is one nice big heatsink!

ive got a coolermaster Aero 7 lite, and i love it for what it cost me as at the time i didnt want to pay alot for a HSF, plus it looks great through my case window

Mines your copper counterpart.
    My web machine
    ~Econobox 60W~
    It's very quiet.

384MB PC100 (3 x 128MB)
    40x12x48 BTC CD-RW
    300W Enlight PSU

TT "hampster wheel fans a blower style fan
    In appliance size, they're called "squirrel cage" fans.

Todd, that does sound like a good idea, but if I shifted the fan down an inch, the clips holding it on would be bent... I would be worried about the thing falling off.
    You could abandon the wire clip and use two wood screws through the holes in the fan into the space between the fins. For the other side you could use Todd a's trick and drill a hole at each end of the outer fin and use zap straps (now I'm searching for the proper term!) through the fan mounting holes.

Just did the fan volt mod down to 7V on a tornado. CPU temps still lingering around 35-38C idle. Great tip!!
    Aspire Turbo case w/6 case fans
    Abit AN7 rev C1 nForce2 Ultra 400
    AMD Athlon XP-M 2500+ @ 2.205GHz
    Thermalright SLK900A w/92mm Tornado
    Abit Radeon 9600XT All In Wonder 594/796
    Geil Dual Channel 512MB(256MBx2) DDR PC-3200 6-3-2-2.5
    Sound Blaster® X-Fi Platinum Fatal1ty
    2-Maxtor Ultra Series Kit 120GB SATA L01M120 Raid0 (OS & Programs)
    Western Digital Special Edition 120GB WD1200JB 8MB (Data)
    Lite-On CD-Rom 48x
    NEC 4X DVD +RW/-RW Drive
    Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition SP2

Thread Information