PCI Express vid card
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: PCI Express vid card

PCI Express vid card

I recently got a new computer in which I thought had an AGP slot, but it turns out I don't and have a PCI Express slot instead. I have found video cards supported by ATI and NVidia for this format and did some research on the PCI Express. The PCI Express, from what I have read seems to be the next thing that could eventually replace AGP...will I have a problem running any current games with a video card in the PCI Express?

I was thinking about going w/an NVidia 5750...that seems to the the PCI Express supported model.

Re: PCI Express vid card

Originally posted by Liberty03
    I recently got a new computer in which I thought had an AGP slot, but it turns out I don't and have a PCI Express slot instead. I have found video cards supported by ATI and NVidia for this format and did some research on the PCI Express. The PCI Express, from what I have read seems to be the next thing that could eventually replace AGP...will I have a problem running any current games with a video card in the PCI Express?

I was thinking about going w/an NVidia 5750...that seems to the the PCI Express supported model.
    As far as I know, you won't notice any difference. It will run just the same as any other video card. Personally I would wait until they come out with current-generation PCX cards, as the 5750 or even the 5900 are slow in comparison.
    Opteron 165 @ 280x9 = 2.52GHz
    ASUS A8N32-SLI Deluxe
    BFG 7600GT OC
    Corsair 2GB DDR400 Dual Channel
    Seagate Barracuda 200GB SATA
    NEC 3500A 16X DL DVD±RW

vid card

Thanks for the info! How long until the next-gen cards come out? I am running shared memory on the motherboard and that won't be cool for very much longer!

Does your new mobo have a "legacy" (oh wow) AGP slot, or does it only have a PCX port? The reason why I say that is according to articles I've read, you won't be able to buy current-gen cards on the PCX platform for a couple months at least. If your mobo does have a legacy AGP slot, then at least you can buy current hardware. At this point in time, there is no real difference in performance between PCX and AGP 8x, as even the impressive X series of ATI and the 6xxx series of Nvidia don't max out the bandwidth of AGP. PCX is really a toss up in my mind - a marketing gimmick, or a future-proofing solution... I don't know which.
    ASUS A8N32-SLI Deluxe
    BFG 7600GT OC
    NEC 3500A 16X DL DVD±RW

only PCX

I only have a PCX slot, No AGP!

I don't know why. I didn't realize it until I was setting up the machine and was going to put in an AGP card. I like the PC and it was a killer price so I just want to be able to get a good PCX card to work. I was going to build my own but found this one and when I bought it I thought it had AGP.

I thought the NVidia 5750 wasn't too bad of a card and they make it for the PCX slot. It isn't too expensive so I could run that for awhile until more come out. I think the ATI is something like the 300x or something.

Re: only PCX

Originally posted by Liberty03
    I only have a PCX slot, No AGP!

I don't know why. I didn't realize it until I was setting up the machine and was going to put in an AGP card. I like the PC and it was a killer price so I just want to be able to get a good PCX card to work. I was going to build my own but found this one and when I bought it I thought it had AGP.

I thought the NVidia 5750 wasn't too bad of a card and they make it for the PCX slot. It isn't too expensive so I could run that for awhile until more come out. I think the ATI is something like the 300x or something.
    Well that's too bad. The 5750 is just a 5700 on the PCX platform - its not bad by any means, certainly much faster than the onboard, but its much slower than the new stuff coming out. You should be fine with it for a while, and at newegg its only like $120. Good luck.
    ASUS A8N32-SLI Deluxe
    BFG 7600GT OC
    NEC 3500A 16X DL DVD±RW

The X300 and X600 from ATI are OK, just stay away from the "LE" versions as they are much slower, for the little cost savings.
    AMD Phenom II x4 945 3Ghz | ASUS M4A77TD | 2X WD 1TB SATA 2 hard drive | 2x2GB Corsair XMS3 | nVidia GeForce 8800 GTS | ATI TV Wonder Theater Pro 550 | Antec P-160 case | Antec 650w Earth Watts | LG Blu-ray Super Drive | LG DVD RW | Windows 7 Pro

Thread Information