need a good 2d/3d card for a lowly 200MMX
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: need a good 2d/3d card for a lowly 200MMX

Hybrid View

need a good 2d/3d card for a lowly 200MMX

I currently have a cyrix 200mmx, 64 megs of sdram. I need a good combination 2d/3d card that will give me decent performance in QuakeII. I have read that the floating point processor in the cyrix chips is not up to par with Intel's, this must be why I can only manage 13fps in 320x240! Anyway, I plan on upgrading to an Amd k6-2 sometime after the first of the year, so I can buy an agp voodoo2 card then. I want to use the 2d/3d card in combination with the 3d card in the new setup. Is this possible?(pci and agp working together) What suggestions would you make about a good 2d/3d card(I was thinking of a diamond monster fusion)that would'dt break the bank. Also what kind of performance might I expect on my current system, by adding a quality 2d/3d card? Thanks in advance!

There is no such thing as an AGP voodoo2, go with a Riva TNT if you can get it to work

I would say avoid the tnt,they are for high end systems, as they suck the cpu.....
    a banshee sounds like a good choice for what you need.
    My 6 cents
    Esq.

There's no such thing as an AGP voodoo2? OK, now I'm confused. I thought the voodoo took specific advantage of agp. would the banshee improve performance on my cyrix? thanks

i have an intel 200 mmx with 64 ram too, and i just installed the STB Velocity 4400 pci with 16 ram.....it is UNBELIEVABLE. It uses the riva tnt chip, and it has done wonders for my gaming. There is not much difference in pci and agp performance at the present time...so either will do fine. On the game "Incomming" i averaged 22 fps, is that killer or what on a lousy 200 mmx. This card rocks

Well i upgraded from a an Intense 3D VooDoo Rush 6 Meg, to a Creative Banshee 16 meg. and was happy with the difference it made on my pentium 200 mmx,64 ram,this also being pci bus. But i do know that banshee which has some kind of Voodoo2 technology inside it, is also available in agp.

I appreciate the help. You got any numbers for quake 2 to wet my appetite? Looks like I'm buying the card sometime this week(banshee pci) I'll let you know how it works out. Oh yeah, how much did you get it for?

well im glad ya asked that cuz im not much of a quake2 person anymore, Unreal is where its at for me. but back to quake2 i did put it back on and for some reason i cant get it to work with the 3dfx option it only works in software mode. (the only one i cant get to work) but since i dont do quake2 anymore i wasnt very concerned with finding and updated banshee fix to work on quake2. im sure there is though.
    I got my banshee for 140.00 with tax. and i found a 30 dollar rebate that ya print off the web over at:
    http://www.soundblaster.com/retail/rebates/banshee/
    ****** Pasted from creatives page**********
    Download the Rebate Coupon (Adobe Acrobat PDF File)

Offer valid only on 3D Blaster Banshee (Model #3DB6760) purchases between September 21, 1998 to December 31, 1998. For end-users only. Not including corporate users.

Please refer to rebate coupon for complete terms and conditions.

Chanse Guest
    CAnopus Spectra 2500 TnT AGP card ,is it!
    I bought a STB VElocity 4400 TNT because I needed PCI and the Spectra si aaGP only, but it kicks, Plus the Spectra has the CAnopus withdoctor reverse pass through technology, which enables you to run a voodoo through your Spectra, instead of vice versa.Everone says the TnT is a Cpu hog, not for low end machines, but come on, are you gonna be doing any multitasking or rendering while you're fragging someones' ***. Get a Spectra 2500 AGP, It does sweeet tv out, simultaneous to monitor, plus it has addons for a videocapture coming out. I'm running with my TnT and skipping over voodoo2, and waiting for the Powervr second generation. It is taking forever, but I met a someone at E3 who works for sega, and he said that the Power vr is everything it is touted to be. Single slot 3d add on ,for under 100.00, faster than Voodoo2SLI.( any disbelievers,get your hands on any shots from the Sega Dreamcast/katana/ whatever the hell they wanna call it. It uses PVRSG. Sega dumped 3dfx for Powervr, so that says something.)

Stay with the Banshee, as Esq says the TNT is better with a more powerful CPU. Also, the Banshee is good as PCI, the TNT is better with AGP.

Thread Information