Dell Dimension XPS - Gaming PC - Page 2
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dell Dimension XPS - Gaming PC

I must be missing something because apart from the monitor (which has a 25ms response time) there's not much wrong with that PC (well, apart from the price of course). It has a cutting edge GFX card, matched to a beefy processor, a decent motherboard, Audigy2, and enough ram to play Doom3 and HL-2 to your heart's content at 1280 x 1024 @ high quality settings. Raptors aren't going to make much difference to gaming performance - personally I'd go for the extra capacity rather than the speed since the speed would never really get utilised.

If they got rid of those crappy speakers and threw in a 12ms or 16ms TFT, they'd have one hell of a gaming PC on their hands. Not worth anything close to 3,000 mind but a great PC nonetheless. Besides, that case design has persuaded me

PS. That mouse cost me the equivalent of 60 of your US dollars!
    Athlon XP 3200+, TT Silent Boost (its rubbish as well as loud) Gigabyte nForce2 mobo (stable but lacks tweaking options), GF4 Ti4200 128mb, Lian-Li V2000

I tried wireless, but kept getting to much outside interferance. I moved that keyboard to a system in my basement. I'm back with wired keyboard and mouse.

As for the system, like I said it is OK. The main gripe I had was the stuff on the outside. It is a cheap basic keyboard and mouse, not what the enthusiast gamer would use. Also why get a SB Audigy2, but only use junk stereo speakers? It makes no sinse. 25ms would be horrible for gaming period. A big wast of money for a gaming machine. It probably looks pretty bad for watching DVDs.

I agree the inards are OK, but for that much money I'd expect more. They are using a standard x800XT, not the x800XT PE, but not a hugh deal. The hard drive kind of sucks. I'd rather have a faster 8MB cache 7200RPM drive then a slower 400GB drive any day. This is not a video editting machine... it is a gaming machine. For that money though a pair of 10k Raptor drives in RAID-0 would be better. If Dell would smarten up, an AMD AthlonFX 53 would be much more powerfull CPU for gaming... especially got Doom3. It is about 20% faster for about the same price. I could put together a much better system for "gaming" for over $1000 less, that would smoke it, look better, likely run quieter, sound better... a "real" gaming machine.
    AMD Phenom II x4 945 3Ghz | ASUS M4A77TD | 2X WD 1TB SATA 2 hard drive | 2x2GB Corsair XMS3 | nVidia GeForce 8800 GTS | ATI TV Wonder Theater Pro 550 | Antec P-160 case | Antec 650w Earth Watts | LG Blu-ray Super Drive | LG DVD RW | Windows 7 Pro

Yup!

Yah I was did say Dell would not use the FX-53, which is the best gaming CPU, but at least a P4 EE 3.4Ghz would have been better than a P4 3.6Ghz Prescott.

If it was my I'd get a nice 21" CTR, a set of Creative Labs THX 5.1 speekers, a MS IntelMouse Optical, good keyboard, Antec P160 case, Antec NeoPower 480w PS, an MSI Neo Platnum nForce3 250GB socket 939 board, 2x1GB DDR (whatever is fastest), 2 WD Raptor 74GB hard drives in RAID-0, SB Audigy2 ZX, Sony 2.4x Dual Layer DVD recorder a Sony 52x CD W/RThermalRight heatpipe cooler, some UV lights, some UV fans, AthlonFX-53, and a Radeon x800XT PE. Maybe an ATI HD Wonder with a Remote Wonder 2. This would run about $4000-5000 and be a much nicer Gaming Machine. Then next year I'd dump in Windows XP Proffesional 64 Edition and toward the end of next year a dual core AthlonFX (which they are planning on doing).
    AMD Phenom II x4 945 3Ghz | ASUS M4A77TD | 2X WD 1TB SATA 2 hard drive | 2x2GB Corsair XMS3 | nVidia GeForce 8800 GTS | ATI TV Wonder Theater Pro 550 | Antec P-160 case | Antec 650w Earth Watts | LG Blu-ray Super Drive | LG DVD RW | Windows 7 Pro

Thread Information