Cooling questions
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Cooling questions

Cooling questions

I have two questions:

1. I'm running an Athlon XP 2.08 ghz. Under normal computing conditions (i.e., non-gaming), the CPU temp is usually around 38 degrees C. I think that's ok, but I thought I would try to get some input on this. Is this a good temperature for the CPU to be at? What would be a dangerous, borderline temperature to avoid?

2. Does integrated video tend to increase the temperature of the CPU more than a separate video card would?

Thanks in advance for any help...

Jeremy

The temp sounds about normal. If your temps start getting above 60C doing normal things, check your fans.

Depending upon the video card, it might add to the overall case temp, which can incrrease the cpu temps. My 9800 Pro raise the temps in my case by about 5 - 10C, but my FX5200 in the same case and setup, doesn't generate hardly any temp change.

I'm not sure how onboard video does with the temp.
    If no questions are asked, no answers can be given.

Heatware

38 deg C at idle is perfectly normal. a temperature under load would be more useful though. under full load, most people aim to keep temps under 50c. although cpus typically can handle higher temps.
    i'm not sure about this but i don't think integrated video increases cpu temps. more knowledgeable members would sure be able to answer this for you.
    P4C 2.8ghz o/c'ed to 3.36ghz
    Asus P4C800 Deluxe mobo
    2 x 512mb Kingston HyperX pc4000 DDR
    nVidia GeForce 6800
    Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS Gamer
    160GB 7200rpm SATA Seagate
    74GB 10000rpm Western Digital Raptor
    ATI TV Wonder Pro

Your 38 degree should be in good spot in terms of cooling. If you want a cooler system that doesn't cost much, consider water cooling..

My system at the spec below, tops at 45 degree celcius...

If the ambient temp is lower, then the temp will hover around 39-41 degrees..

Make sure that you have proper ventilation for your casing as well and heatsink properly installed..

Personally I'd start to get worried around 80 C under load.

Thanks, everyone, for your input.

I'm going to continue running the PC at normal load (i.e., no heavy gaming) for a day or two longer to get a solid feel for the average CPU temp. Then I'll start playing a graphics heavy game (Wolfenstein) to see how much the temp. increases and how well the PC handles it.

I might end up operating the PC with the side panel removed. I did that today for a little while and the CPU temp. seemed to drop about 2-3 degrees, which is considerable because, if I am correct, only one degree too much could fry the mobo.

I'm considering installing another fan just to be on the safe side.

Jeremy

I might end up operating the PC with the side panel removed. I did that today for a little while and the CPU temp. seemed to drop about 2-3 degrees, which is considerable because, if I am correct, only one degree too much could fry the mobo.
    A drop of only 2 - 3C with the panel off indicates adequate airflow in the case. A cpu idle temp of 38C ought to have a motherboard/case temp in the low 30's or less, which is fine. Fry the mobo? I don't think so.

Those temps are GREAT. Do not worry one bit. Crank it up and play for a while. If your temps go above say 60'C I'd start to worry. I doubt you will get much, if any above 50'C.
    AMD Phenom II x4 945 3Ghz | ASUS M4A77TD | 2X WD 1TB SATA 2 hard drive | 2x2GB Corsair XMS3 | nVidia GeForce 8800 GTS | ATI TV Wonder Theater Pro 550 | Antec P-160 case | Antec 650w Earth Watts | LG Blu-ray Super Drive | LG DVD RW | Windows 7 Pro

OK, I installed and started playing a game today -- Starcraft. I'm not sure how good a game it is to use to test the temp at full load because I don't think it is as graphics heavy as a 3d game like Quake or Wolfenstein, but here's what I found out. I'm using Hmonitor to find out my CPU and mainboard temp.

While playing the game, the mainboard went up to 40 C and the CPU went up to about 51 C. That's a jump of about 10 or 11 degrees for the CPU. Is that to be expected with a game like that?

I'm thinking the temp. would go up even more while playing a more intense game like Wolfenstein, which I have not even installed yet. What do you think? Should I start looking into an extra fan for my system? Should I worry?

Thanks, by the way, for all your input so far.

Jeremy

that temp jump is normal. in the summer, my cpu goes from about 37 idle to about 49 under load. if you want to stress test your cpu, you can use burn-in utilities. there's a nice one built into Sisoft Sandra. i've also used one call Cpu Burn-in.
    P4C 2.8ghz o/c'ed to 3.36ghz
    Asus P4C800 Deluxe mobo
    2 x 512mb Kingston HyperX pc4000 DDR
    nVidia GeForce 6800
    Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS Gamer
    160GB 7200rpm SATA Seagate
    74GB 10000rpm Western Digital Raptor
    ATI TV Wonder Pro

Sounds fine to me.
    AMD Phenom II x4 945 3Ghz | ASUS M4A77TD | 2X WD 1TB SATA 2 hard drive | 2x2GB Corsair XMS3 | nVidia GeForce 8800 GTS | ATI TV Wonder Theater Pro 550 | Antec P-160 case | Antec 650w Earth Watts | LG Blu-ray Super Drive | LG DVD RW | Windows 7 Pro

I can sense your worry, but several questions ->

Any lockups? Computer freezes? not windows - hardlocks, if everything plays fine and nothing is freezing on you you are ok.

When you start to play the temp game, things can get outta hand, not here mind you, but you may have posted else where.

I have read on some other forums (ahh, gasp) that some 'kids' are able to go below ambient on air cooling. I think what happens is someone installs a HS and subtracts 2-3c and the next person and so on, before you know it a stock cooler is 2c below ambient and they are bragging.

If you are stable, then you cooling is enough. If you want to go higher, or even go cooler there are better HS, no doubt, but before you start to have a "ghetto" computer with things pulled out and the side off, take some time to evaluate what is really going on.

If you have hot hardware, and 1 80mm fan in the rear, not to much will help. A better HS will cool but the hot air has to go somewhere. You might be better off checking out the intake/outtake of the case it self and putting another 80mm in the front or rear or somthing and then checking temps again.

Just some Ideas....
    AMD64 3200, 1 Gb Ram, ATI 9800xt(256)
    AMD 2700+, 1Gb Ram, Geforce4600 VIVO
    AMD 2000+, 1 1/8Gb Ram, ATI 8500 (128)
    AMD 1800+, 1Gb Ram, ATI 9600 pro(128)
    Intel 1.6Ghz (478), 768Mb Ram, 8500 (128)

Thread Information