Where's all the plain looking case these days?
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Where's all the plain looking case these days?

Hybrid View

Where's all the plain looking case these days?

I like a solidly built case with well designed ventilation that have big, easy to use reset and power buttons.

I used to be able to buy a Deer brand case just like that, but local shops have less and less plain looking case and more and more fruity looking cases.

What happened to good old classical beige cases?
    My web machine
    ~Econobox 60W~
    Power consumption at the plug while web browsing: 60W
    It's very quiet.

Intel D815EEA2 Desktop board
    Intel Celeron 1.0A @ 1.0GHz w/ Intel Fan
    ATI Xpert98 8MB AGP 2x videocard
    Sound Blaster PCI 128 soundcard
    WD 40GB ATA100 7200RPM HDD (8.4GB 5400RPM ATA33 circa 1999 Maxtor decommissioned and eBay'd off)
    384MB PC100 (3 x 128MB)
    40x12x48 BTC CD-RW
    300W Enlight PSU
    100% normal looking case. Certified free of fruity, sad looking, PC rice mods.

Computer casing needs to catch up with the trend these day. Kind of like colourful and extreme design.

Another place to buy a plain casing is through online shops like newegg. I think they still have those around in their stock.

Aopen and Enlight make plain beige cases.
    My Guitar Hero 2 Xbox Live Ranking
    Main Rig (click this link for specs)
    Certified in: Nothing at all!
    Certifiable: 100% hands-on, real-world experience

They are in the landfill where they belong. Welcome to this mellinium!
    AMD Phenom II x4 945 3Ghz | ASUS M4A77TD | 2X WD 1TB SATA 2 hard drive | 2x2GB Corsair XMS3 | nVidia GeForce 8800 GTS | ATI TV Wonder Theater Pro 550 | Antec P-160 case | Antec 650w Earth Watts | LG Blu-ray Super Drive | LG DVD RW | Windows 7 Pro

I'll disaggree there, Todd.

First of all, there's a lot of computers used in offices. In fact, probably more of them than in homes.

Now a back case instead of beige, or heck, even silver is one thing. But some of the fruitier ones with windows, light and whatnot just don't belong in an office. Doubly so in any place where you have to deal with customers or clients.

Second, no offense, but I find most of them just hideous.

E.g., take windows and leds/cathodes/whatever. What can you typically see? A visiual cacophony of all PCB colours, coloured cables, copper heatsinks, aluminum heatsinks, and a led for every colour of the rainbow.

It doesn't look cool or l33t or hi-tech, it looks just sad.

For a while it at least had the novelty and rarity factor on its side. And the fact that someone worked on that. Someone had actually cut/drilled holes by hand to make that colour cacophony.

But now you can buy such things off the shelf. In fact, it's harder to find a case which _doesn't_ already come with funky coloured leds, windows and/or funny drawings. And every kiddie does have one. There is no craft or skill involved in just screwing a fan which came standard with 3 LEDs, to a case which came standard with a side window.

So the novelty has worn off, the rarity has worn off, and they certainly don't even indicate skill with tools any more.

It's time to leave that stupidity already and move on. If you're a die-hard modder, you can do better than that. And if not, might as well realize that puting cathodes in a computer doesn't make it more high-tech, just like putting a "Turbo" sign or a 5 inch exhaust pipe on a cheap 1.1l car doesn't make it a race car. It just makes it look stupid.
    Last edited by Moraelin v2.0; August 6th, 2004 at 06:30 AM.

Very well said Moraelin v2.0
    My web machine
    ~Econobox 60W~
    Power consumption at the plug while web browsing: 60W
    It's very quiet.

Intel D815EEA2 Desktop board
    Intel Celeron 1.0A @ 1.0GHz w/ Intel Fan
    ATI Xpert98 8MB AGP 2x videocard
    Sound Blaster PCI 128 soundcard
    WD 40GB ATA100 7200RPM HDD (8.4GB 5400RPM ATA33 circa 1999 Maxtor decommissioned and eBay'd off)
    384MB PC100 (3 x 128MB)
    40x12x48 BTC CD-RW
    300W Enlight PSU
    100% normal looking case. Certified free of fruity, sad looking, PC rice mods.

Originally posted by Moraelin v2.0
    For a while it at least had the novelty and rarity factor on its side.
    I have to totaly agree with you their now even all the local computer shops about here only sell their systems with modded cases.
    Gigabyte Z87M-D3H l Pentium DC 3.2GHz l 16GB Ram l 64GB OCZ SSD l Radeon 7750 OC Edition l Windows 7 Ultimate X64
    Dell OptiPlex 745 l Intel C2D E6600 2.4GHz l 4GB Ram l 64GB OCZ SSD l Windows 7 Ultimate X64
    Lenovo ThinkPad T61 l C2D T7700 2.4GHz l 8GB Ram l 60GB Kingston SSD l Windows 7 Ultimate X64

You completely missed the sarcastic smiley face at the end of the sentence! Just like this one. Actually I would rather mod the case myself!! The office trind right now is black and silver mostly, not the plain beige. Of course with all my mod'n I have a green, a black, and 2 beige computers, but they are anything but normal.
    AMD Phenom II x4 945 3Ghz | ASUS M4A77TD | 2X WD 1TB SATA 2 hard drive | 2x2GB Corsair XMS3 | nVidia GeForce 8800 GTS | ATI TV Wonder Theater Pro 550 | Antec P-160 case | Antec 650w Earth Watts | LG Blu-ray Super Drive | LG DVD RW | Windows 7 Pro

Originally posted by Moraelin v2.0
    I'll disaggree there, Todd.
    he's annoying isn't he.

Originally posted by Todd a
    You completely missed the sarcastic smiley face at the end of the sentence! Just like this one. Actually I would rather mod the case myself!! The office trind right now is black and silver mostly, not the plain beige. Of course with all my mod'n I have a green, a black, and 2 beige computers, but they are anything but normal.
    case?... ya don't need a case.....

go get a metal basket or somthin... go watta
    phase-change cooling | -30C liquid | d-tek tc-4 r2 | liquid volume: 110 litres

Originally posted by Martin_89
    I have to totaly agree with you their now even all the local computer shops about here only sell their systems with modded cases.
    I've got 2 front LEDs on my case and I'm putting a window in it this week! Can you say more LED fans!

The more the better. All of my cases have a window, at least one cold cathode, a mod'd heatsink to correctly fit an 80mm fan), case badge, and a stack of LED fans. I've painted a few and recently it has been front ports and control pannels. Clear cases would be cool too, but I never made one yet.

The one thing you must realise is not too many people that buy new cases want a plain case. Those are for OEMs. They do make them, but they are harder to find as most of the websites you are likely to look on have the "cool" looking cases for enthusiasts (as they upgrade things like that the most).
    Last edited by Todd a; August 9th, 2004 at 10:58 PM.

Or you can buy one of those cases, and 'de-modify' it back to beige...
    Its at times like this I wish I'd listened to what my mother said when I was little...

Thread Information