A few quick Overlocking questions
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: A few quick Overlocking questions

A few quick Overlocking questions

Ok, first off, I have a 2500+ Barton (not mobile). I've had it overclocked for quite a while at around 2.3. My FSB was around 420.

Well, I decided to fool around with it a bit, you know increasing and stabilizing things. I got my FSB up to 440, stable (1.85 volts).

Now, I then noticed my multiplier was at 11x! So, I increased it to 12.5x. But it didnt change. The BIO setting was at 12.5, but the system info in BIOS was telling me it was still 11x. So, I tried decreasing it. Same thing.

So, is it just not telling me the actual multiplier or is not changing it? Is there another setting somewhere so I CAN change it (I have the Abit NF7-S MB)?

One more question. Will voltage kill the CPU, or is it the temperture of the CPU that will kill it. Like, I put my voltage up to 2.0 for a bit, and I was still getting like 42 degrees C idle. So, if the temperture's ok, is upping the volts ok?

TIA

Likely the CPU is locked. That is why I got the mobile version as it is completely unlocked. Yes, pushing too much voltage through it can fry the CPU, but it is harder to do if the temps are good enough. I would not go beyond 1.85v.
    AMD Phenom II x4 945 3Ghz | ASUS M4A77TD | 2X WD 1TB SATA 2 hard drive | 2x2GB Corsair XMS3 | nVidia GeForce 8800 GTS | ATI TV Wonder Theater Pro 550 | Antec P-160 case | Antec 650w Earth Watts | LG Blu-ray Super Drive | LG DVD RW | Windows 7 Pro

So, to unlock it, do I have to do the whole connect the bridge thing? Do you have any good guides for doing this?

You seem to be getting to pretty good levels already. I doubt unlocking it would really help much. It is a lot harder with these AthlonXPs then you used to be with the old Duron pensil trick!

Anything above 2.2Ghz is good.
    AMD Phenom II x4 945 3Ghz | ASUS M4A77TD | 2X WD 1TB SATA 2 hard drive | 2x2GB Corsair XMS3 | nVidia GeForce 8800 GTS | ATI TV Wonder Theater Pro 550 | Antec P-160 case | Antec 650w Earth Watts | LG Blu-ray Super Drive | LG DVD RW | Windows 7 Pro

Well, isnt the clock speed based off your ram? Well, my ram is REALLY bad...value 2700 ram. I'm surprised I could get it up to 215 (I actually got it up to 225 for a bit, but with some massive voltage settings). Increasing the muliplier and lowering the clock speed would make it more stable, right?

You can find an unlock Barton but overclocking depends on your luck. Most desktop Barton are multi lock and the only way to overclock is via the FSB. Just make sure that your mobo has the correct divider for the PCI/AGP otherwise you risk of damaging the motherboard.

Thread Information