I want one!!!
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: I want one!!!

I want one!!!

Man it is out, but boy is it expensive. This is Antec's new "NeoPower" series of PS. It ises a 120mm fan and has a modular plug systems to ruduce blutter. You only plug in the cables you need. You need SATA, then plug them in. You need 3 pin the plug them in. You only need one set of molix connectors then just plug one in.

This is just about the coolest looking power supply. I think it would go nicely in an Antec P-160 case! The bad part is the 480w is a whopping $150, but NewEgg has a $30 instant rebate right now:

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...103-924&depa=1
    AMD Phenom II x4 945 3Ghz | ASUS M4A77TD | 2X WD 1TB SATA 2 hard drive | 2x2GB Corsair XMS3 | nVidia GeForce 8800 GTS | ATI TV Wonder Theater Pro 550 | Antec P-160 case | Antec 650w Earth Watts | LG Blu-ray Super Drive | LG DVD RW | Windows 7 Pro

http://www.silentpcreview.com/article177-page1.html

I found a reveiw and it shows a few other things. There is the thermally controlled power for fans. The connector is under the wires for the ATX connect, so you can't see it in the NewEgg shots. It also has two comp=letely seperate 12v rails that can deliver almost 400w alone. There are 4 connectors for the various power leads. It also comes with 2 extra molix and SATA connectors that you can add to the exsisting wires where ever you want to help clear up cable clutter.

Here is a list of the cables:

1) 2 x 32" cable w/ 3 standard 4-pin power connectors
    2) 32" cable w/ 2 SATA connectors
    3) 20" cable w/ 3 standard 4-pin power connectors
    4) 18" cable w/ 2-conductor 4-pin power connectors marked fan only
    5) 24" cable w/ 6-pin PCI Express graphic card connector
    6) Took desperate leap to escape from photoshoot; last seen on the run w/ 11)
    7) 6" splitter cable w/ 4-pin connector to 2 floppy drive connectors
    8) 24-pin to 20-pin ATX adapter
    9) AC cord
    10) The spare SATA and 4-pin standard connectors already detailed

This thing is just mighty!!!
    AMD Phenom II x4 945 3Ghz | ASUS M4A77TD | 2X WD 1TB SATA 2 hard drive | 2x2GB Corsair XMS3 | nVidia GeForce 8800 GTS | ATI TV Wonder Theater Pro 550 | Antec P-160 case | Antec 650w Earth Watts | LG Blu-ray Super Drive | LG DVD RW | Windows 7 Pro

Also new for Antec, it has active PFC (power factor correction), which makes it more efficient. Hoping to see that feature migrate to the TruePower line. The SPCR test has been out for a couple of weeks.

*drool*
    "I know nothing."
    Cheers.

The reveiw I saw showed it was not that efficiant at the lower end, but as you started to lay on the load it got much better. I just hate the big tangle of cables from most power supplies. I have 3 cables coiled up and sitting on top of the power supply and needed two cables to power my drives. This new PS could let me power all my drives with one cable. Then one for fans, lights, and graphics card. One for the ATX. The last would be for the 4 pin.

im the same ive got so much cables stuffed up above my PSU, im acctually surprised that this idea hasnt already been brought into action.

it ment to be quieter than the current line of antec PSU's?
    Shuttle System l Intel Core2Extreme l 8GB Ram l 64GB OCZ SSD l Windows 7 Ultimate X64
    IBM ThinkPad T60 l 2GHz Core2Duo l 4GB Ram l 60GB Kingston SSD l Windows 7 Ultimate X64

What is blutter?
    My Guitar Hero 2 Xbox Live Ranking
    Main Rig (click this link for specs)
    Certified in: Nothing at all!
    Certifiable: 100% hands-on, real-world experience

Clutter you mean?

As far as I know this thing is pretty quiet, but under the tests they ran the fan RPMs did crank up pretty good after about 250w of load. System idle it should be whisper quiet.

As far as I know this thing is pretty quiet, but under the tests they ran the fan RPMs did crank up pretty good after about 250w of load. System idle it should be whisper quiet.
    The champ at controlling fan speeds to actual cooling needs is Seasonic. All the others ramp up the fan speed too soon and too much. For more info, read SPCR's tests of the Seasonics.

ohhh baby!!! Damn, I may have to get this, like right now. My one big complaint with my PC is the clutter inside, and this would effectively clear up about 90% of that!!!

edit:
    How would this compare sound and quality wise to my Antec TruBlue 480W PSU?
    Compy 1 (Brand New as of 2/7/07):
    P5N32-E SLI w/ C2D E6600 at stock (for now)
    Zalman CNPS9700 cooler
    2GB Corsair DDR2800 @ 5-5-5-15 @1.9v
    1x EVGA 8800GTX (stock)
    1 150GB Raptor+ 250GB WD Internal SATA's
    250GB WD Backup Drive
    2x Plextor DVD burners, IDE
    2x Plextor DVD burners, SATA
    Audigy2 w/ Klipsch 2.1's
    Black Silverstone TJ-07
    PC P&C 510W SLI PSU
    Dell 30" LCD

Strongbad e-mail

It ises a 120mm fan and has a modular plug systems to ruduce clutter. You only plug in the cables you need. You need SATA, then plug them in. You need 3 pin the plug them in. You only need one set of molix connectors then just plug one in.
    You may not believe me, but I thought of this idea about a year ago. It's in a thread somewhere, but I have no idea where to look. Though I do remember saying that if anyone from a PS company is watching, please feel free to steal my idea. I think that all aftermarket PS's will incorporate this feature. It's just a matter of time.

Well looky here:

Posted by ThreeOnTheTree on 05-24-2003
    I also have a PS idea. Make all of the power rails detachable from the PS. I have 3-4 rails that I don't use at all, and it would be nice if I could disconnect them so they were not in the way. Right now, I have to bundle them up and cram them somewhere in the case. It's messy and hurts airflow. All you'd need to do is have a wire harness on the back of the PS where each rail can uniquely plug in (so you can't plug the wrong wire in the wrong place). It would be very easy to implement and would be a nice convienience, so if you make that PS, steal my idea.
    Todda even thought it was a good idea back then. I guess I'm entitled to nothing, since I said it was ok to steal the idea. Oh well, at least I finally have an "I told you so" at HWC.

If pro is the opposite of con, what's the opposite of progress?

I've seen one other like this that uses a 140mm fan with removable cables.

ThreeOnTheTree, I actually saw someone do a mod very similar to this several years ago, just putting molix connectors on the end of about 2" wires so you could unplug the un-used ones. I thought about doing this, but it just looked like too much work. I usually cram all the extra wires in an empty CD bay or squease them above the PS if there is room.

Thats what Performance-PCs does with their custom sleeving jobs. They have been doing this for awhile. I have done this on a few of my sleeving mods as well.
    Mike
    Mechanical Engineer
    Dell Computer Corporation
    Server Development

Thread Information