Help to my FIRST OVERCLOCK, Please !
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Help to my FIRST OVERCLOCK, Please !

Help to my FIRST OVERCLOCK, Please !

Hi all !!
    I will get a Gigabyte 9600XT 128 MB (GV-R96X128D) for my PC next week... I would like some hints about how to do a safe and efficient Overclock on it (with stock cooler). I have bought it because I read some good results of it over the internet - It seems that this model is a nice overclocker, because of its good memory, as I read in a review "The memory chips used on the Gigabyte board are not run of the mill 300 Mhz chips but 350 Mhz ones. A quick run over to Samsung's site confirmed the code - K4D263238E-GC2A - 350MHz 700Mbps/pin."

Sorry if the questions looks like basic; I am a newbie on doing Overclock, and, as it will cost me expensive (I am from Brazil), I wouldn't like to damage it ...

Question 1: I have read that its OWN Overclock program (V-Tuner) isnt' very operative to use (don't works well, because it don't accept small adjusts). What's the program you suggest for me to use, as a alternative (Rage3D, Powerstrip, ...) ??

Question 2: What item (Core or Memory) should I to increase FIRST, for better OC??

Question 3: It seems that the change of one item has impact on the other... Is it true?? So, if I need to increase all them, should I to privilege the MEMORY increase or CORE increase??

Question 4: I have read that there is a program (ATI Tool) that makes easier to reach the potential limit of the video card. Is really recommended to use it?

Question 5: Is there some danger of damage the video card, if I turn off the computer when the screen begins to show some white artifacts??

Question 6: Why there are, sometimes, much discrepancy between final results of an Overclock (with stock cooler), if the base is the same? Sometimes we see some people reach numbers of OC very higher than others, with the same video card and the same supposed conditions ...

Here are 03 final results I got over the internet, for this specific video card:
    1) Core / Mem : 576/740 (HotHardware) - WOW!!!
    2) Core / Mem : 576/718 (NeoSeeker) - Not Bad! But they used "V-Tuner" (Gigabyte own "utilitary") to OC, what probably toggle the memory increase...
    3) Core / Mem : 587/654 (PcStats) - Apparently, not good result for Memory, unlike the Core ...

Would I be able to reach some final result at least "near" from the "first" (576/740) above?? I would like to know my video card limits, but only to decrease it a bit (around 10 mhz would be enough??), in order to have a safe operation (with stock cooling) of it ...

Well, That's it ... Sorry for the excessive number of doubts and THANKS A LOT IN ADVANCE FOR ANY ADDITIONAL HELP / HINT !!

Well, to start off, there's many programs available to oc these beautiful cards. I'm currently using Radlinker, which is included with the Omega ATI drivers

http://www.omegadrivers.net/ati.php

First thing to do is unistall your current
    drivers using the Driver Cleaner Omega Edition included with the download.
    Restart your computer, and install the Omega drivers. After all this is done, open your Displays Properties, go to the Settings tab, and click Advanced. You'll see a tab for Radlinker, plus many other good tools. Start with the core settings (this applies with any program). Increase core in small increments, running a benchmark or a performance hungry game. When you start seeing artifacts, you want to step down the core settings about 5 MHz. Then do the same with the memory. It'll take awhile, but it'll be worth it. Other programs you can use (follow the same steps above when oc)

PowerStrip
    http://www.entechtaiwan.com/files/pstrip.exe

Rage3D
    http://www.rage3d.com/?node=r3dtweak

RivaTuner
    http://download.guru3d.com/rivatuner/

Of course, just remember that every system overclocks differently. Even with different programs on the same system you will get different results. Try them all out, see which you like best.

You want to start with the core settings to better your overclock. The true potential will only be known by SLOWLY increasing the settings. It's harder to damage your videocard than it is to the cpu. Most people won't play with the AGP voltage, you'll probably be satisfied without doing it yourself. When you start seeing artifacts, simply hit the Esc key and tune the settings down a bit. Increasing the setting 5-10 MHz is a good way to go. This card should have no problem getting to 750/600 on stock.
    Aspire Turbo case w/6 case fans
    Abit AN7 rev C1 nForce2 Ultra 400
    AMD Athlon XP-M 2500+ @ 2.205GHz
    Thermalright SLK900A w/92mm Tornado
    Abit Radeon 9600XT All In Wonder 594/796
    Geil Dual Channel 512MB(256MBx2) DDR PC-3200 6-3-2-2.5
    Sound Blaster® X-Fi Platinum Fatal1ty
    2-Maxtor Ultra Series Kit 120GB SATA L01M120 Raid0 (OS & Programs)
    Western Digital Special Edition 120GB WD1200JB 8MB (Data)
    Lite-On CD-Rom 48x
    NEC 4X DVD +RW/-RW Drive
    Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition SP2

I like to just use the latest official ATi drivers and install RadLinker or RadClocker myself.

LINK
    Last edited by Burnt Powder; July 18th, 2004 at 11:24 PM.
    Current System
    - Antec Nine Hundred
    - Q6600 G0 Stepping @ 3.0GHz
    - Gigabyte GA-P35-DQ6
    - Corsair XMS2 (4x1GB) PC2-8500
    - eVGA SuperClocked GeForce GTX 560 Ti
    - PC P&C Silencer 750 Quad
    - Enhance Technology Quadrapack Q14SS
    - HP Smart Array P400 SAS/SATA Controller w/ 512MB BBWC
    - 4 x 72g 15,000rpm 2.5inch SAS Drives @ RAID5
    - 2 x 750g 7,200rpm 3.5inch SATA Drives @ RAID1
    - 2 x LG DVD±R Burners
    - Hanns·G HH-281HPB 28" Display
    - Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit w/ SP1

Thanks all for your hints; they were very useful for me...
    Another doubt, please: Can I to install ATI driver (downloaded from the ATI site), in my Gigabyte video card, or I need, necessarily, to install the driver from Gigabyte's site??
    Thanks a lot for any help again !!

It's harder to damage your videocard than it is to the cpu.
    Might want to ask Martin89 about that. I think he's killed two 9600's, both overclocked.

With proper monitoring of your system and cooling, overclocking a videocard is overall easier than a cpu. Because of that, and plus without having as many settings to toy with, videocards are easy overclockers. Don't get me wrong, it's still possible and you need to take precautions, but overall cpu's are damaged more often.

Yes, you can use ATI drivers for your Gigabyte. ATI supplies these companies with the GPU, then the maufacturers choose which type of memory, board layout and outputs to put on their cards. This is why the prices vary. ATI suggests using the original manufacturer's drivers first, because the manufacturer may have utilities/performance options not available in the ATI drivers. Any problems using Gigabyte's drivers can easily be fixed by first deleting your drivers and then installing the ATI drivers.
    Aspire Turbo case w/6 case fans
    Abit AN7 rev C1 nForce2 Ultra 400
    AMD Athlon XP-M 2500+ @ 2.205GHz
    Thermalright SLK900A w/92mm Tornado
    Abit Radeon 9600XT All In Wonder 594/796
    Geil Dual Channel 512MB(256MBx2) DDR PC-3200 6-3-2-2.5
    Sound Blaster® X-Fi Platinum Fatal1ty
    2-Maxtor Ultra Series Kit 120GB SATA L01M120 Raid0 (OS & Programs)
    Western Digital Special Edition 120GB WD1200JB 8MB (Data)
    Lite-On CD-Rom 48x
    NEC 4X DVD +RW/-RW Drive
    Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition SP2

I actually like the ATI tool. You can let it run as long as you like and it takes care of the settings. After a 30 sec burn in, the program bumps it up a mhz then goes again. It is slower, but totally automatic.

I did the CPU first, then the memory. Putting each at their defaults until the max was reached. Then pushed both higher and tested.

That was a 9800 Pro, that is now flashed to a 9800xt
    AMD64 3200, 1 Gb Ram, ATI 9800xt(256)
    AMD 2700+, 1Gb Ram, Geforce4600 VIVO
    AMD 2000+, 1 1/8Gb Ram, ATI 8500 (128)
    AMD 1800+, 1Gb Ram, ATI 9600 pro(128)
    Intel 1.6Ghz (478), 768Mb Ram, 8500 (128)

Hi all !
    I just finished my first attempt of Overclock my Video Card (Gigabyte 9600XT 128MB - GV-R96X128D), and I am a bit disappointed ...
    My final result (I used Rage3D Tweak), with stable operation, was :
    - CORE : 553,50 (+ 10,7%)
    - MEMORY : 670 [335x2] (+ 11,7%)

My main deception is with the increase that I got with the memory; as I wrote in my first thread, I had read a review (www.neoseeker.com) that said that this model of Video Card from Gigabyte had a memory that could reach at least 350MHz ...
    ..."The memory chips used on the Gigabyte board are not run of the mill 300 Mhz chips but 350 Mhz ones. A quick run over to Samsung's site confirmed the code - K4D263238E-GC2A - 350MHz 700Mbps/pin"
    So, shouldn't I to be able to reach, AT LEAST, 350 Mhz?? I can not understand (even knowing that there are no exactly identical video cards...).
    Anyway, I need to inform some important thing to help us to analyse this matter: I installed my new video card inside my "old" PC, which has the basic spec:

P4 1.6GHz
    Asus P4SDX
    512MB DDR333 (2x256)
    120GB HD ATA 133 Maxtor

I am intending to upgrade my processor around christmas, because I guess it is the current "bottleneck" of my system...
    So, the questions are:

1) Is my current processor (P4 1.6) a real bottleneck?

2) My overclock results were affected because of it? (my new video card could reach better results working with a better/faster processor)?

3) I ONLY play Race games, and I think (I am not sure about this) that, in this "category" of game, the speed of CPU is crucial; am I right, or not? If yes, would I have a sensible increase of FPS when I will upgrade my processor?... Or, in other words, is my current processor limiting the potential of my new video card (Gigabyte Radeon 9600XT)?

4) Inside my PC BIOS, there is one item with which we can control the "AGP APERTURE", which is currently set to 256MB... Should I set it to 128, because my video card has 128 MB of memory, or keep it set to 256MB??

Well, that's it ... THANKS a LOT for any additional help !!

i would carry on keep those hardware u got, until the games are running unacceptable by your standards (ie. not smooth enough), then upgrade cpu, ram and motherboard all at once.

because i think your mobo supports only upto 533FSB cpu.. and u want 800FSB cpu really...to see real performance gains.
    and if u get 800FSB cpu...u need a mobo that supports 800FSB and u need DDR400...not DDR333 u currently have...

u could try p4 2.4c (its 800FSB), it is known to be a good overclocker, get that with a 865 chipset motherboard and some DDR400 RAM, then u can overclock it, and it shall reach 3ghz+

all u could go AMD route, which is basically, get a XP2600-M, nforce2 ultra mobo and DDR400, that will overclock to about 2.5ghz(xp rating dunno, but 3200+ is 2.2ghz and 2500+ is 1.83ghz)
    would be cheaper and faster to go AMD by the way.

if u dont want to wait, then sell your current cpu, ram and motherboard, then get a new cpu, ram and motherboard.

money is better spent that way in your situation.

Antec TruePower 330W
    Asus A8N-E Bios 1008
    AMD 64 3000+ E3 Venice 1.8GHz @ 2.7GHz/auto vcore(1.55v~)
    (9x300/HTT 3x/RAM 266)
    Arctic Freezer 64 HSF
    Kingston 2x512MB CL2.5 DDR400
    ATI X800XT 256MB PCI-E, CAT 6.13 500/500 @ 520/510
    21" Eizo CRT 1280x1024@85Hz
    Maxtor DiamondMax 10 250GB 16MB cache
    Maxtor DiamondMax 10 200GB 8MB cache
    Samsung 16x DVDRW
    Logitech X-620 6.1 Speakers
    Canon Pixma IP3000 Printer

Thread Information