Temperature conscious overclockers, room temp?
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Temperature conscious overclockers, room temp?

Temperature conscious overclockers, room temp?

So a lot of overclockers are very conscious of CPU and case temp to get the highest overclockability and I guess just the psychological satisfaction of having a lower readout.

I was gone for a bit and when I came back, the room this computer is in was up to 86F (30C)

I started up my computer and my Athlon 1.4 GHz quickly went to 53C and case temp was up to 35C in a matter of minutes.

Air conditioner was just turned on and the room is down to 82(28C) and my CPU dropped to 49C, case to 31C

Already did the best you could to lower the temp of your power guzzling computer?

Air conditioner is your friend
    My web machine
    ~Econobox 60W~
    Power consumption at the plug while web browsing: 60W
    It's very quiet.

Intel D815EEA2 Desktop board
    Intel Celeron 1.0A @ 1.0GHz w/ Intel Fan
    ATI Xpert98 8MB AGP 2x videocard
    Sound Blaster PCI 128 soundcard
    WD 40GB ATA100 7200RPM HDD (8.4GB 5400RPM ATA33 circa 1999 Maxtor decommissioned and eBay'd off)
    384MB PC100 (3 x 128MB)
    40x12x48 BTC CD-RW
    300W Enlight PSU
    100% normal looking case. Certified free of fruity, sad looking, PC rice mods.

Yup. For every 1'C you drop your room temp you computer will run 1'C cooler. The same goes for case temps (normally)... for every 1'C you can lower your case temps you CPU (and everything else in the case) will run 1'C cooler. That is why I look to case temps before worrying about replacing a CPU heatsink. I constantly hear people saying their CPU is running a 60'C, so they want to know what heatsink/fan they should buy, but their case temps are 40'C. If they had a 30'C case temps then their CPU would run at only 50'C which is fine. Case fans are much cheaper. Sometimes it can be just cutting out a restrictive fan grill, cleaning out dust, and re-routing cable out of the airflow path. Those upgrades are free and usually only take a few minutes to do.
    AMD Phenom II x4 945 3Ghz | ASUS M4A77TD | 2X WD 1TB SATA 2 hard drive | 2x2GB Corsair XMS3 | nVidia GeForce 8800 GTS | ATI TV Wonder Theater Pro 550 | Antec P-160 case | Antec 650w Earth Watts | LG Blu-ray Super Drive | LG DVD RW | Windows 7 Pro

My CPU temperature is 62C at idle. I have been enjoying the total silence. How about that? The system temperature is up to 37C. I have 3 case fans in place but all are tuned to a very low speed. Same is the CPU fan. All four are 80mm fans. My room temperature? ... 75F.

I actually have 3 computers, all are like that and the temperature.

I can't understand the logics behind making the CPU cool while suffering from an air dryer like noise level.

Treat yourself well and let the CPU suffer. That has been the idea all along since computers were born, isn't it?

That has been my way of "overclocking" a CPU.

My lesson: do not expose a computer to direct sun shine. I lost a couple of CD-ROM's before realizing it. Even that, the CPU never complained.

All my fans are about 28db and the PS fans are thermally controlled and are closer to 20db.. That is pretty quiet overall. My CPU temps run about 42'C idle and about 48'C load and it is about 80'F right now. Of course I have 4 80mm case fans and an 80mm CPU fan on my modified SK-7 heatsink. I do not get a "hairdrier effect" from my case, just a soft sound of air moving.
    AMD Phenom II x4 945 3Ghz | ASUS M4A77TD | 2X WD 1TB SATA 2 hard drive | 2x2GB Corsair XMS3 | nVidia GeForce 8800 GTS | ATI TV Wonder Theater Pro 550 | Antec P-160 case | Antec 650w Earth Watts | LG Blu-ray Super Drive | LG DVD RW | Windows 7 Pro

Thread Information