CD-ROM drive makes my computer freeze and reboot
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: CD-ROM drive makes my computer freeze and reboot

CD-ROM drive makes my computer freeze and reboot

I have a Plextor PX-54TA CD-ROM, and i have been using it in my old computer without any problems (as secondary master). Now i got my new computer, and i removed the PX-54TA from my old computer and installed it in my new as primary slave (my lite-on combo drive is primary master). The drive is detected by BIOS, and the device manager in Windows says "This device is working properly." (I am using Windows XP professional). But as soon as i insert a disc into the drive, the computer will freeze and then reboot. Why on earth is this happening? What can i do to fix this?

Hmmm, I once had a friends machine which would lock up during boot-up after I installed a Lite-On CD Writer.

You could try to disabled UDMA in the BIOS, if you haven't already tried it. PIO mode 4 is pretty much fail-safe, so if it works when you set it to that, we can go from there.

Good luck.
    Desktop - XP2100 @ 2.4GHz, Abit NF7-S, 1gb DDR500 Crucial Ballistix, 120 + 160gb HDD, Windows XP
    Laptop - Athlon 64 3000, 1gb RAM, 40gb HDD, Radeon Mobility 200, Windows Vista
    Server - P4 1.8GHz, 768mb RAM, 2x 40gb HDDs, Win2k3 Server

ive also seen cases when the PSU hasnt been powerfull enough and any time someone tried to read or burn a CD the computer freezes or slows down
    Gigabyte Z87M-D3H l Pentium DC 3.2GHz l 16GB Ram l 64GB OCZ SSD l Radeon 7750 OC Edition l Windows 7 Ultimate X64
    Dell OptiPlex 745 l Intel C2D E6600 2.4GHz l 4GB Ram l 64GB OCZ SSD l Windows 7 Ultimate X64
    Lenovo ThinkPad T61 l C2D T7700 2.4GHz l 8GB Ram l 60GB Kingston SSD l Windows 7 Ultimate X64

You could try to disabled UDMA in the BIOS, if you haven't already tried it. PIO mode 4 is pretty much fail-safe, so if it works when you set it to that, we can go from there.
    I couldn't find out how to change the setting in BIOS, so i did it in Windows. It was actually set to Multi-word DMA 2 (whatever that is). I changed it to UDMA 2 (UDMA 3 was not available), and now everything is working fine. Thankyou

Thread Information