installed 2 LED fans, increased temps by 5-7 degrees
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: installed 2 LED fans, increased temps by 5-7 degrees

installed 2 LED fans, increased temps by 5-7 degrees

just done installing 2 80mm LED fans, my temps increased by 5-7 degrees, my case has 2 front fans, 2 rear fans, 2 side fans, and 1 top fan. i changed 1 of the side fans and the top fan with the LED fans, and now my temps have increased, the stock fans that came with the case where doing a good job, the fans i got are from same company, im wondering if i have installed the fans blowing the wrong directions or something.

what do you think? should the top fan b blwoing inside the case or out of it, also should the side fan blow in or out, im not asking about the 2 front and 2 rears as i did not change them... any ideas what causes this increase? maybe the LED fans are drawing more power and causing the increase or something?

any sugesstions?
    Our task is not to champion the degrading of the elite to the level of an amateur, but to raise the amateurs to the level of the elite.

I think you have an obsession with fans. Put one low in the front and high in the rear, block off all other holes. Make the front an intake and the rear an output. Should solve all problems.

thats not an option lol, my case came with 7 fans on it. like i explained above, but i wanted to give it some light thats y i got the LED fans. the fans the case had were giving me temps around 43 degrees celcius and never gone passed that, now it goes up to 47 as soon as i go in a game or something.
    Our task is not to champion the degrading of the elite to the level of an amateur, but to raise the amateurs to the level of the elite.

This will show you how a case "riddled with fans like a swiss cheese" doesn't run cooler, just noisier.

Read it and weep.

Try removing all case fans except the rear two, and have those fans blowing out of the case.
    Main PC: A64 3200+ | 1024MB Kingston RAM (Dual Channel) | WD 160GB | Seagate SATA 160GB w/NCQ | Asus A8N-SLi Deluxe | Connect3D ATi X800XL Pci-E | Coolermaster ATC-710 case | Antec NeoPower 480w PSU | Toshiba 27wl46 27" TFT

HwC member's gallery - Upload your picture here

Team HwC Folding@Home results - Find out how to sign up here!

The top fan is a good candidate for blowing air _out_. Hot air rises upwards, so you'll likely want this blown out, rather than pushed back in.

The side fans, on the other hand, are IMHO more for show than anything on most cases anyway.

To actually do anything with a closed case, they would have to actually bring in air from outside. The problem is that on a lot of cases, my Xaser III for example, they don't even have any vent holes anywhere near those side fans.

Considering where the holes actually are, and where the fans are, the air has to flow laminated between the case's side panel and the plastic panel with the fans. And even there, some of that air will be coming from inside the case, not from outside.

Other than making the side panel vibrate and turn into a noise source, I fail to see what the idea there was. It's definitely not quite the kind of design that makes me think "hot damn, this pushes in a ton of cold air from outside."

On another case, I've even seen the side fans mounted on plastic arms that you can set at any height you wish. E.g., one over the CPU, one over the graphics card. Even more stupid, since that one is 100% recirculating air from inside the case.

When those side fans are more useful is when you're running with an open case. Then they do something.

If it is like it is around here, you room temps will effect your case temps. The only other ways your temps could go up is if you installed the fan(s) backwards, they are much lower RPM, or you bumped your heatsink so your temps on the CPU went up.

DanceMan,

I like that article. It is not 100% accurate of course, because each case is sl=ightly differant, but on the case he tested it makes sense. Front fans really just help cool the hard drives and possibly force more air towards the graphics card. Without them these componants might get very hot. The warm air is not pushed around so less makes it to the CPU and north bridge sensors and the rear fans help to keep the hot air away from the CPU. The side fans on my cases are for cooling the graphics card mostly. On one other case I had no rear fan (other than the PS) so a blow hole was a must. I have 2 front, one rear, and a blow hole on my main machine. Adding the blow hole dropped my temps 4'C. With only one fan in back the front fans help to move a lot more air and the temps dropped when I disconnected them before.

I am thinking of building a whole new system for Christmas and will likely get something like the Antec P-160. That case is a bit bigger and the 120mm fans will move much more air. Have one of those in back would likeloy cool MUCH better than the 4 fans in my system. I want a socket 939 system with a 90nm Athlon64, SATA RAID, PCI-E Radeon X800 XT (or better), DVD Dual Layer +/- R/W... I will likely get it all at once as my currant systems do not support hardly any of these. I will be taking the big plunge into all the new stuff (but DDR2)!
    AMD Phenom II x4 945 3Ghz | ASUS M4A77TD | 2X WD 1TB SATA 2 hard drive | 2x2GB Corsair XMS3 | nVidia GeForce 8800 GTS | ATI TV Wonder Theater Pro 550 | Antec P-160 case | Antec 650w Earth Watts | LG Blu-ray Super Drive | LG DVD RW | Windows 7 Pro

Thread Information