Microsoft Intellimouse Explorer Dead *again*
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Microsoft Intellimouse Explorer Dead *again*

Microsoft Intellimouse Explorer Dead *again*

Well, my 2nd MS Intellimouse Explorer Pro died. (intermittant failure, ARGH!) Both were cheap OEMs off the internet, so no free replacement. So I went to Best Buy to give all the new models a test-drive, bound and determined to buy a Logitech or a generic or ANYTHING but an MS...

But damn microsoft for adding tilt-scroll wheels! There was a generic mouse for the same price ($40)- identical in shape and feel but wireless and oh-so-comfortable rubber padding where it aught to have been on the intellimouse. But that tilt-wheel....

So, I'm now on my 3rd Intellimouse Explorer. *sigh* Does have a really nice feel to it, heh

Pentium IV 2.4C Northwood- M0 stepping @ 3.2GHz HT
    Air Cooled w/ SP-94 heatpipe & 92mm Vantex Tornado at 45C
    4x256=1gb dual-channel 2-3-3-6 OCZ PC800DRAM @ 890MHz 3-4-4-8
    MSI Neo2-PLS w/I865PE & SATA @ 4x267=1068MHz
    BFG GeForceFX 5900@485/967MHz = 6284 3DMark2003s; dual-head 21" CRT & 19" LCD

I saw one in comp usa a few weeks ago and almost bought one. The lure of the tilt scroll wheel is hard to fight. I hope I can hold on till they work all the bugs out.

The side tilt scrolls really really slowly in internet explorer, but really really fast in Excel. I can see it being very annoying to set a useable speed.

My main concern, however, is game support! I hope I can make something good to it, like peer around corners or something

Support has historically been terribly for the fwd/back browser buttons- luckily, they've worked on default drivers without intellipoint installed. The workaround has been to set up intellipoint with something like ENTER for the back button and BACKSPACE for the fwd button, which can be easily mapped to games. I'd only run intellipoint when running games. The new version of intellipoint is embedded in the mouse drivers now, and the workaround is broken. I now have to manually change it for any game that doesn't automatically recognize and let me use the buttons
    Last edited by grover; June 28th, 2004 at 11:22 AM.
    Pentium IV 2.4C Northwood- M0 stepping @ 3.2GHz HT
    Air Cooled w/ SP-94 heatpipe & 92mm Vantex Tornado at 45C
    4x256=1gb dual-channel 2-3-3-6 OCZ PC800DRAM @ 890MHz 3-4-4-8
    MSI Neo2-PLS w/I865PE & SATA @ 4x267=1068MHz
    BFG GeForceFX 5900@485/967MHz = 6284 3DMark2003s; dual-head 21" CRT & 19" LCD

I saw a wireless Intellimouse Explorer @ compusa for $35. That was so hard to pass up. I have no new game(s). QIII and that is it.

I want the side scroll wheel so I may get it this weekend. It couldn't be the worst mistake I have made buying hardware/software.

Well, I'll tell you I don't like the MS wireless mouse I have. After about a month I had to change the batteries. And some times the pointer goes off in the wrong direction. Something a wire mouse has never done before. I think I'm going back to my old mouse.
    John

Processor: P4 2.4AGhz
    Motherboard: Asus P4P-800-E Deluxe
    RAM: 2GB Crucial 2600? DDR 400
    Hard drive 1: Seagate 320GB SATA 7200
    Hard drive 2: Seagate 160GB SATA 7200
    Video card: Sapphire X1600 Pro 256mb DDR 2
    DVD Burner:Lite-On DVD 16x Burner
    Power supply:Enermax coolergiant EG485AX 480W
    Modem: Motorola surfboard 5120
    Case:Lian Li PC-65B
    Monitor: 19in Viewsonic LCD VX924