dvd burner help!?
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: dvd burner help!?

dvd burner help!?

I just bought a new nec 2510A dvd burner from newegg and it didn't come with any cables. Is it supposed to come with it or am i supposed to buy them myself? If so, where do i buy these cables for my burner? Thanks for the help

Welcome to HWC!

Optical drives don't usually come with ribbons some do some don't, if retail you might get ribbon if oem then the drive is all you get. Should use a standard ribbon, any pc shop or staples would have ribbons.

It really depends on the exact product you bought. Newegg sales retail and OEM products, OEM products usually contain just the item no accessories.

To answer your other question, most likely you would need to purchase an IDE cable if it is an internal drive.
    If no questions are asked, no answers can be given.

Heatware

it is oem. but i don't know what that means. it is an internal drive and where do i purchase the necessary cables. like a power cable or the ide cable. thanks again

"OEM" means that drive was packaged and intended to sell it to an OEM like Dell or Gateway- EG, companies that don't want fancy boxes or instructions since they're buying drives in bulk to install into machines. For us, it means we don't have to pay for fancy boxes or instructions we'd lose or throw away and can download free anyhow if we need!

There should be extra molex power connectors loose in your case. If not, you'll have to buy a Y connector for it, and plug that Y into the power plug in your other CD-RW or HDD to turn one power plug into two

The IDE ribbon cable is likewise standard, and you have already have one in your case. You can plug two drives into a standard IDE cable. (Make sure you set the jumpers right! If you have jumpers set for 'CS', it matters what order you plug the drives in, and you want the master on the end. If you manually set master/slave, it doesn't matter which drive gets plugged into which plug.) Some OEM cables are built cheaply and only have one IDE connector on the end- if this is the case, you have to buy a new ribbon cable. Make sure to get an 80-pin cable; (the 40-pin will work, but your drive will run slower). Or, if you have one of the two IDE ports spare on your motherboard and both plugs used on the other IDE cable, you'd also need to get a new cable. If you already have two drives in both IDE cables, you're SOL- disconnect something so you can plug in your new drive!

Or, the easiest thing to do, is just unplug your old CD-RW, and use the plugs from that for your new DVD-RW You don't need to worry about the little 3-pin audio connector; everything these days uses digital audio. You can get ribbon cables and molex Ys at radio shack, compusa or just about any store that sells computers or computer parts.
    Last edited by grover; July 1st, 2004 at 05:12 PM.
    Pentium IV 2.4C Northwood- M0 stepping @ 3.2GHz HT
    Air Cooled w/ SP-94 heatpipe & 92mm Vantex Tornado at 45C
    4x256=1gb dual-channel 2-3-3-6 OCZ PC800DRAM @ 890MHz 3-4-4-8
    MSI Neo2-PLS w/I865PE & SATA @ 4x267=1068MHz
    BFG GeForceFX 5900@485/967MHz = 6284 3DMark2003s; dual-head 21" CRT & 19" LCD

thanks alot grover!! I'll give it a try.

Sorry about being vague, sometimes we forget that not all things are common sense just because we know them.
    If no questions are asked, no answers can be given.

Heatware

Thread Information