Quality PSU's besides Enermax
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Quality PSU's besides Enermax

Quality PSU's besides Enermax

Don't get me wrong, I love Enermax. They are quite expensive though. If there is something just as good as Enermax, but cheaper I would prefer that for a economy machine. I have seen Sparkle mentioned a few times and Antec, any other good brands come to mind?

Hm I dont know about Enermax being quality PSUs

Everything over their 350W model sucks while fore mentioned is underpowered and overpriced

So for quality/price I would say Antec True Power and compared to Enermax, they are not even in the same league

For similar quality as Enermax, but cheaper, Enhance

Wow, I never realized Enermax was bad, I heard the name tossed around as "a good PSU" Thanks for the heads up though. Much appreciated.

Dont get me wrong its not bad as generic 500W PSU for 30$, bad
    its just that its heavily overpriced and they are justifying it with being silent PSU, which it really isnt
    Antec True power PSUs give you a lot more power and stability for the same price as Enermax PSUs

Antec TruePower are very good PSUs, stable voltages and not noisy... but aren't silent either. I had to RMA the first one I got with my Sonata case because the fan clicked badly... the second one is much better but still clicking a bit (not enough to be disturbing like the first one though). From what I've read on a few silent computing forums, it is a common syndrome that appears on some very-low RPM silent fans, appearing in some Papst fans as well.

However, you wouldn't notice much, if even at all, with two-fan models (i.e. all TruePower retail models), and the PSU itself is just plain excellent for the price. I've heard Zalman and PC Power and Cooling also makes very good PSUs, but for a heftier price than the Antec.
    Last edited by equinoxe3d; June 18th, 2004 at 11:54 PM.

Core i7 2600K @ 4GHz | Noctua NH-C12P SE14 | ASUS Maximus IV GENE-Z | 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws X 1600 CL9 | Gigabyte GTX 670 OC 2GB | 256GB Crucial m4 | 2TB WD Green | Samsung DVD±RW | Seasonic X 460w Fanless | Fractal Design Define Mini | Windows 7 Ultimate | Dell 2209WA @ 75Hz

Join the HwC Folding@Home team!

The prices for the PC Power & Cooling is enough to give someone a heart attack...
    "I know nothing."
    Cheers.

i love my enermax that arris sold me, 350Watt and is plenty for me and keeps my system stable
    Shuttle System l Intel Core2Extreme l 8GB Ram l 64GB OCZ SSD l Windows 7 Ultimate X64
    IBM ThinkPad T60 l 2GHz Core2Duo l 4GB Ram l 60GB Kingston SSD l Windows 7 Ultimate X64

Tagan are quickly becomming a big name in the psu business for me.

The 480W one is superb and from many reviews beats the antec and cheaper.

OCZ have some very good looking ones coming out based on the tagan but with adjustable pots to allow silly voltages. Think i'm going to invest in one when they are out
    A64 3000+ at 3.2ghz
    1gb OCZ Plat 2
    DFI NF4 Ultra-D
    Galaxy 7800GTX
    600W Enermax
    Regassed prommie with R507a

Ah the new updatedness of my sig.

Antec is mighty. I have 2 of their power supplies. The 430w True power is a great power supply for $70 (at NewEgg). I also have the 480 True Blue (True Power with blue LED fans). I am RMAing the 480w as the 12v rail was a bit low since the day I got it (11.80v) and it dropped considerably about a month or so back (11.55v). They approved the RMA and I am going to ship it out Monday. I pulled the 430w from my second computer (I do not have an LAN parties coming up for a while so I do not really need it running for now) and will likely swap them out tonight. I will also add some Arctic Silver 5 on my CPU (the clip is hard to get to with the PS in the case, so it will be an easy job this way). I have been burning CDs all day (music, movies, docs, pictures...) and will likely format my hard drive and reinstall Windows. It has been a LONG time on this load and I have upgraded several componants and installed way too much junk and beta stuff. I have been having issues with a few programs after I got a virus about 3 months back. The removal procedure had me delete several Windows files but the computer scans clean now. I few things deteriorated since then. It still works fine... mostly and games did not slow down, but KaZaA got hosed, File Explorer takes forever to examine "My Computer", and IE has been getting page errors. I managed to reinstall IE SP1 and most run fine now, but not all. Device Manager shows nothing and Scan Disk does not run. It has been bugging me.

Back to Antec PS. They are very good. Even though I am only running at 11.55 volts I am 100% stable as long as I do not overclock too much. Most systems would crash at this level. Also the 430w I have is dead on. All the voltages are right on the mark (12.05v, 5.01, 3.37v...) and VERY stable. I might play around with some more overclocking with this one in my main machine. I'm running my AthlonXP 2500-M (1.83Ghz stock) at 2.08 right now because of the PS, but had it at 2.125Ghz before. Maybe I can get it higher.
    AMD Phenom II x4 945 3Ghz | ASUS M4A77TD | 2X WD 1TB SATA 2 hard drive | 2x2GB Corsair XMS3 | nVidia GeForce 8800 GTS | ATI TV Wonder Theater Pro 550 | Antec P-160 case | Antec 650w Earth Watts | LG Blu-ray Super Drive | LG DVD RW | Windows 7 Pro

Antec are an excellent brand, but they also have made some bad PSU's, as you have probably gathered from reading this thread.

I have an Enermax 350W PSU and with it running on it's own, it is indeed, very quiet. The rails are a little lower than I was expecting, but they have stayed consistent through the last year of my owning it.

Marv, that's the first time I've ever heard of OCZ making PSU's. Let's see what they come up with.

Todd, if my machine isn't running the way I like, it bugs the hell out of me. I used to format about 3 times a month just because my machine wasn't running how I would like... glad to say I've calmed down a bit since then, heh.
    Desktop - XP2100 @ 2.4GHz, Abit NF7-S, 1gb DDR500 Crucial Ballistix, 120 + 160gb HDD, Windows XP
    Laptop - Athlon 64 3000, 1gb RAM, 40gb HDD, Radeon Mobility 200, Windows Vista
    Server - P4 1.8GHz, 768mb RAM, 2x 40gb HDDs, Win2k3 Server

That is the odd thing. I guess hardware (and software a bit too) has gotten much better. My K6-2 450 would just kill Windows98 in just a few months. The system would not even run after about 4. I constantly formatted and reinstalled everything. When I went to my Duron/Athlon systems, the time was more like 6 months before I formatted and never really completely died before I would eventually format at about 12 months. This is my first time I have ever formatted and installed WindowsXP except when replacing a hard drive or when I changed between a VIA and nForce2 board (WindowsXP hates that and will not boot, even in safe mode).

In about 18 months I replaced the motherboard twice, the CPU once, the CD R/W twice, the graphics card twice, had about 6 differant sticks of memory, and replaced the CDROM with a DVD drive, new heatsink twice, and a new power supply (soon to be twice). I also replaced a few fans and the lighting. I am a beta tester for DirectX 9.0 and I run demos and betas all the time. I constantly install new drivers. I also rip DVDs and that requires a lot of very unstable and flaky software (but getting better). My system runs 24/7 under pretty heavy loads and I play lots of FPS games. Add the virus into the mix and it is supprizing I still get 14,000 in 3DMark 2001se and 4500 in 3DMark 2003. All my games play good. I think I lost a few video codecs as some do not play anymore. The stability of my system just amazes me. I have been so impressed sinse I got my Duron. I was used to all the other crappy systems I had.. 286 SX-25, 386 DX-33, 486 DX-4 100, Cyrix MII PR200, K6-2 350, and K6-2 450, that I was floored when I got my Duron 600 (and overclocked the snott out of it).

I'm kind of happy to be doing this after all this time. I've only defragged my drive 2 times in 18 months. I think things will be a bit zippier. I got one more DVD to finish converting and about 10 more converted ones that I need to edit down to fit on CDs. Then I will burn all those. Then it is time to swap the power supply, add the AS5 and format the hard drive. I'm hoping to get it started tonight, but I need to stop and play a few games of Call of Duty for a bit.
    AMD Phenom II x4 945 3Ghz | ASUS M4A77TD | 2X WD 1TB SATA 2 hard drive | 2x2GB Corsair XMS3 | nVidia GeForce 8800 GTS | ATI TV Wonder Theater Pro 550 | Antec P-160 case | Antec 650w Earth Watts | LG Blu-ray Super Drive | LG DVD RW | Windows 7 Pro

Andy heres a review of the OCZ psu's, i emailed and it seems they are due out in the UK market around august.

Review
    A64 3000+ at 3.2ghz
    1gb OCZ Plat 2
    DFI NF4 Ultra-D
    Galaxy 7800GTX
    600W Enermax
    Regassed prommie with R507a

Ah the new updatedness of my sig.

Thumbs down

Here's a place that really tests psu's:
    SPCR

Also check the psu in the Recommended section.
    Last edited by DanceMan; June 20th, 2004 at 01:51 AM.

That is a pretty good link. The Antec True Control 550w power supply also lets you control the voltages from a front panel model that installs in a CD bay. It has a fan speed controller, but lets the thermal controll set the minimum speed. The fan controller raises it from there. The is also a small tool in a socket on this panel that is used to adjust three pots in the front panel for the +12v, +5v, and +3.3v rails. The rest of the panel is just a vent. A voltage read-out would have been nice. Seperate fan controlles for other case fans would have been cool.

Man I staid up until 5am formating and reinstalling everything. A few interesting things turned up. When I swapped out the 480w True Blue, which ran at only 11.55v on the 12v rail , with my 430 True Power, which ran at 12.05 on my Abit NF7 board, I now get 11.61 on my main system. Is my third board dieing? I've already RMAed the thing twice and I think the warrenty is up now. I think another Abit NF7 is in order. Maybe they will make a 250Gb version of their AthlonXP nForce2 board.

The rest went fine (except I screwed up on the installation order of the software for the TV tuner and it took me a while to get it all working correctly). I will likely run some quick benchmards tommarrow.

Thread Information