Abit NF7-S or DFI NFII Ultra infinity for Barton mobile
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Abit NF7-S or DFI NFII Ultra infinity for Barton mobile

Abit NF7-S or DFI NFII Ultra infinity for Barton mobile

Epox 8rda+ developed bulging caps, exactly a month after warranty ended

Athlon 64 is a bit overpriced and P4 is about the same speed as XP, so I decided to just get another NF2 board

It should last me untill the end of the year, when Ill probably get A64 and retire mobile Barton to the laptop

Which one of the two would you pick
    Abit NF7-S
    or
    DFI NFII Ultra Infinity (basically the same as Lanparty)

DFI

The NF7-S has an awkward ATX connector location. The DFI has 5 memories or presets for bios settings.

Both have undervolting ability (rare) and holes for large heatsinks.

Not sure when those KT880 boards are supposed to arrive, but they look promising with the AGP/PCI locks. Just a thought, as I've had my share of issues with NF2 (cold boots mainly).

well i would get eather really as they are quite simmilar, but probably the DFI because of the reasons that DanceMan said

alough im happy with my Nforce 2 ASUS board, even alough i cant undervolt, but that doesnt bother me as im an overclocker.

only thing i dont like about the Nforce 2 is how hot the south bridge gets. ive got a heatsink on mine and cant bear to touch it for 5 seconds its that hot. think ill get a small HSF for it.
    Shuttle System l Intel Core2Extreme l 8GB Ram l 64GB OCZ SSD l Windows 7 Ultimate X64
    IBM ThinkPad T60 l 2GHz Core2Duo l 4GB Ram l 60GB Kingston SSD l Windows 7 Ultimate X64

found Soltek SL-KT880E-RL review here

interesting:
    "Of course, the KT880 has certain advantages, among which its high stability at overclocking is important, but so far, there are no real overclocker models of KT880-based mainboards in the market"
    this is also a problem I need one soon

Leaning towards DFI myself as well,DanceMan, looks to be the one to break OC records, FSB wise

2 things I dont like about it though:
    countless stories of dead boards on arival and in the first few hours of use
    On the bright side they look to be working when you get over the first day, almost like D-day

and reports of initial BIOS being currupt (can be reflashed) as well as issues with cold boots ThreeOnTheTree mentioned

Originally posted by Martin_89
    only thing i dont like about the Nforce 2 is how hot the south bridge gets. ive got a heatsink on mine and cant bear to touch it for 5 seconds its that hot. think ill get a small HSF for it.
    Similar problems with Epox 8rda+ but since SB is so close to AGP slot its hard to get anything serious on there

BTW read some posts where people are saying latest version of Infinity has heatsink on SB as well as on the mosfets, dont know if thats true though
    On DFI site everything is bare

I had a cold boot issues when overclocking, but that went away with my AthlonXP-M 2500+. I had the issue on 3 differant MSI K7N2-L (well 2 were actually Delta versions with the nForce2 Ultra400 chipset) with my AthlonXP 1800+ revA CPU. Now I also have 2 Abit NF7 boards and have had no cold boot issues even though I am using the same older CPU in one and an even older CPU that refused to overclock before (1600+ running at 1.53Ghz). I picked them up for $70 off NewEgg about 3-4 months back. It lacks the SATA connectors and stuff, but works fine other than that.
    AMD Phenom II x4 945 3Ghz | ASUS M4A77TD | 2X WD 1TB SATA 2 hard drive | 2x2GB Corsair XMS3 | nVidia GeForce 8800 GTS | ATI TV Wonder Theater Pro 550 | Antec P-160 case | Antec 650w Earth Watts | LG Blu-ray Super Drive | LG DVD RW | Windows 7 Pro

F_A_L_C_O_N, when did you buy your 8RDA+? Maybe I should check my 8RDA... I've had it since late 2002. I have noticed that voltage rail readings in the BIOS are lower than what they should be, but I figured it was more due to the crappy PSU than the mobo. Maybe I was wrong.
    My Guitar Hero 2 Xbox Live Ranking
    Main Rig (click this link for specs)
    Certified in: Nothing at all!
    Certifiable: 100% hands-on, real-world experience

Though it was May when Ive opened the thread, but I just checked the recipt and it is March 2003

some similar experience on amdmb Epox forum

EDIT I will post some pics tommorow, so you can see what caps have gone bad
    Last edited by F_A_L_C_O_N; June 7th, 2004 at 02:02 PM.

Originally posted by DanceMan
    DFI

The NF7-S has an awkward ATX connector location. The DFI has 5 memories or presets for bios settings.

Both have undervolting ability (rare) and holes for large heatsinks.
    Yeah, this is true. The ATX connector is in an awkward position - you have to wind it around in front of the CPU HSF and that's self-defeating as you need the airflow. However, aside from that, I like my NF7-S. It seems to be a tried and true board, but then again lots of people are going with the DFI. I think you'd be happy with either. How's that for a suggestion?
    Opteron 165 @ 280x9 = 2.52GHz
    ASUS A8N32-SLI Deluxe
    BFG 7600GT OC
    Corsair 2GB DDR400 Dual Channel
    Seagate Barracuda 200GB SATA
    NEC 3500A 16X DL DVD±RW

I just mount the ATX line around the back of the case under the PS or on my Antec and Cheifteck cases I ran it through the bar running from the front to back of the case just below the PS (basically the same way). The ATX connector is the same on my MSI K7N2Delta-L. The big thing I like about my Abit NF7 is they can run the memory extremely agressive and overclocks very well, much better than any other board I have used. It was also very cheap.

BTW, my Epox 8KHA+ has about 15 swollen, leaking, corroded cappacitors located around the CPU. What really sucks is I was only using an AthlonXP 1600+ and it never overclocked well so it was at stock speeds most of the time.
    AMD Phenom II x4 945 3Ghz | ASUS M4A77TD | 2X WD 1TB SATA 2 hard drive | 2x2GB Corsair XMS3 | nVidia GeForce 8800 GTS | ATI TV Wonder Theater Pro 550 | Antec P-160 case | Antec 650w Earth Watts | LG Blu-ray Super Drive | LG DVD RW | Windows 7 Pro

Looks like Abit really made HQ board with ABit NF7-S

DFI is however a bit cheaper, but more importantly, looks to be bit faster, has much more options in BIOS and I really like the option of 5 different BIOS presets

I think I would go with Abit if I intended using it for next 2 years, but since its probably no more then 6-8 months affair, I am feeling a bit adventurous

I would definetely recommend DFI for Barton Mobile.
    No need to do the L12 mod like the Abit mobo. Just drop your mobile and overclock on the fly

There's even a DFI forum that can help you with the board and a BETA BIOS for overclocking purposes.

I've had a hard time making decision on whether going for Abit or DFI, but DFI earns my respect for the best bang for the buck mobo. The power connector location is just right and it can support 4 SATA hard disk...

It has the same feature like LanParty minus a bit of stuff

Here's the link.
    http://www.dfi-street.com/bios.html

tx for the link Berserker

So this is what everybody at amdmb/dfi forum, were talking about

Now all I have to do is control my natural tendency to go for everything marked as red and danger

Originally posted by Berserker The power connector location is just right and it can support 4 SATA hard disk...

It has the same feature like LanParty minus a bit of stuff

Here's the link.
    http://www.dfi-street.com/bios.html [/B]
    I might pick one of these babies up myself. I've been looking for a cheap way to set up a RAID 5 solution. I've got the OS, now all I need is the hardware.
    My Guitar Hero 2 Xbox Live Ranking
    Main Rig (click this link for specs)
    Certified in: Nothing at all!
    Certifiable: 100% hands-on, real-world experience

Thread Information