z-560 vs z-680. which sub is better?
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: z-560 vs z-680. which sub is better?

z-560 vs z-680. which sub is better?

For people who've compared the Logitech Z-560 and Z-680, can you tell me how they compare? I'm mainly wondering.. which subwoofer is better?

The Logitech website doesn't say all this special stuff about the Z-680 subwoofer, but the Z-560 subwoofer gets some attention (8" long-throw woofer, wood enclosure, brute force subwoofer, etc.). In addition to that, I personally think the Z-560 sub looks.. like it can pack a better punch, but I don't know. Looks aren't everything.

Just wanna know stuff like.. Does the Z-680 sub have a wood enclosure? an 8" woofer? what type? which provides the better THUMP with clarity? Or are they the same? Thanks in advance!

edit: The Adrenaline Vault review: "The subwoofer is definitely a bit more powerful than the venerable Z560s, but the frequency cut off range for transition from the sub to the satellites is well decided and implemented for all genres."
    Last edited by xdkdkdkx; June 4th, 2004 at 09:02 PM.
    Asus A7N8X Deluxe Rev 2.00 BIOS C1004
    Athlon XP 2500+
    Vantec Aeroflow with AS Ceramique
    Corsair TWINX512-3200C2PT
    ATI Radeon 9500 Pro
    Thermaltake 420W PSU

Unlike some competitors' speakers, the Z-680's satellites and center aren't two-way, instead offering a single 3-inch driver mounted in a vented cabinet, but the system's sound doesn't suffer. The sub has a direct-firing 8-inch driver. Logitech's subwoofer-based amplifier has plenty of juice, delivering 188 watts to the sub, 62 watts to each sat, and 69 watts to the center.
    Source

This is bascially as much as I could find about the sub... not very in-depth at all.

From what it says there... direct-firing... I'm not sure whether that has anything to do with the type of speaker used for the sub, although it could mean that the sub is placed at the front of the box, rather than a down-firing sub, where the woofer is placed under the box.

If the 560 is long-throw, I would think that it would be able to get to lower frequencies much easier, as it will be able to move more air.

I hope this is some help, sorry I can't find more specs of the sub.

Oh, the Z680 sub looks wooden to me.
    Desktop - XP2100 @ 2.4GHz, Abit NF7-S, 1gb DDR500 Crucial Ballistix, 120 + 160gb HDD, Windows XP
    Laptop - Athlon 64 3000, 1gb RAM, 40gb HDD, Radeon Mobility 200, Windows Vista
    Server - P4 1.8GHz, 768mb RAM, 2x 40gb HDDs, Win2k3 Server

oo, thanks for your help i appreciate your effort. i have looked at some reviews, and i've seen a pretty darn comprehensive one where the guy seemed to know lots about these things, but that was quite a while ago.. don't remember where i found it. but i'm still interested in others' thoughts
    Last edited by xdkdkdkx; June 4th, 2004 at 09:01 PM.
    Asus A7N8X Deluxe Rev 2.00 BIOS C1004
    Athlon XP 2500+
    Vantec Aeroflow with AS Ceramique
    Corsair TWINX512-3200C2PT
    ATI Radeon 9500 Pro
    Thermaltake 420W PSU

Thread Information