NEED HELP! microATX Cube/Desktop cases
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: NEED HELP! microATX Cube/Desktop cases

Hybrid View

NEED HELP! microATX Cube/Desktop cases

I am trying to find a case for my microATX motherboard. I would really like to get a cube like the ones shuttle uses for their barebones systems, but I can't find one anywhere. The only thing I have found so far is the Aria, but I don't like it that much (no external floppy) and it is pretty expensive.

If I can't find a decent cube case with one external 5.25, 1 external 3.5, and 2 hard drive mounts, what would be a good desktop style case?

I would want it to be discrete like the coolermaster case I saw in another post, but maybe a bit less expensive. This is supposed to be a semi-budget priced system.

Thanks,

Don
    Asus A7N8X Deluxe
    XP 2200+ TBred
    1GB Samsung PC2700
    74GB Raptor 10k RPM SATA
    Pioneer DVR108 DVD Burner
    Sapphire 9800Pro
    Soundstorm Audio
    17" Viewsonic A75s

As far as I know the Antec ARIA is the only SFF type or case that fits a standard MicroATX motherboard. Most of the other SFF cases use a propriatory McroITX motherboard. If you don't like the ARIA, you can go with another Antec case:

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...129-142&depa=1

AMD Phenom II x4 945 3Ghz | ASUS M4A77TD | 2X WD 1TB SATA 2 hard drive | 2x2GB Corsair XMS3 | nVidia GeForce 8800 GTS | ATI TV Wonder Theater Pro 550 | Antec P-160 case | Antec 650w Earth Watts | LG Blu-ray Super Drive | LG DVD RW | Windows 7 Pro

Thanks for the reply Todd.

I was afraid the Aria was the only one :/

That other case is ok, but still a bit too large. I got the microATX to allow me to use a smaller case.

Anyone else have any suggestions or recommendations?

Thanks much,

Don
    Asus A7N8X Deluxe
    XP 2200+ TBred
    1GB Samsung PC2700
    74GB Raptor 10k RPM SATA
    Sapphire 9800Pro
    Soundstorm Audio
    17" Viewsonic A75s

You can brows these:

http://www.directron.com/cases---cas...atx-cases.html

But most of these case have really bad power supplies and very poor cooling. I'd say get some Lexan and make your own case.
    AMD Phenom II x4 945 3Ghz | ASUS M4A77TD | 2X WD 1TB SATA 2 hard drive | 2x2GB Corsair XMS3 | nVidia GeForce 8800 GTS | ATI TV Wonder Theater Pro 550 | Antec P-160 case | Antec 650w Earth Watts | LG Blu-ray Super Drive | LG DVD RW | Windows 7 Pro

Hey believe me if I were doing this for me I would build a custom case from scratch hehe.

Since it is for a friend, it is up to him to do all that

Thanks for the advice!

I am going to try and steer him towards the Aria, or a small tower. I don't like desktops due to bad PSU/terrible airflow.

Don
    Asus A7N8X Deluxe
    XP 2200+ TBred
    1GB Samsung PC2700
    74GB Raptor 10k RPM SATA
    Sapphire 9800Pro
    Soundstorm Audio
    17" Viewsonic A75s

That Antec Desktop I showed has a 380w True Power. This is a VERY good power supply. The PS vents out the side, which is pretty cool. They also use a 92mm fan in back. There is good vent holes to add to the cooling. It is also a VERY nice looking case with a gloss black paint job. You can't go wrong with Antec.

The ARIA is a good looking case, but it does have its drawbacks to get that shape. It also only comes with a 300w power supply (and it does not look to be their high end True Power version).

the psu on the Antec OVERTURE actually draws cool air in to the case thru the side vent. the 92mm fan is used to suck the hot air out. I am using this case now, and the case temp is around 33c. I am also using an antec hard drive cooler (which also pulls in cool air) and an antec pci slot exhaust fan. the case looks great, and is pretty quiet. if you are worried about heat, this might not be the case for you...
    Dual XP-M 2400+ @ 2800+,MSI K7D Master,2x512 Crucial PC2100,AIW 9800

http://www.heatware.com/eval.php?id=27592

Minuet

might want to look at this one
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Dual XP-M 2400+ @ 2800+,MSI K7D Master,2x512 Crucial PC2100,AIW 9800

http://www.heatware.com/eval.php?id=27592

The big problem I see with the Minuet is the 220w power supply. There is another SSF case that takes a standard MicroATX motherboard. I'm not sure if it is even out yet, but it is the Hornet Pro:

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=15983

I have seen a version that comes with a Micro ATX Athlon64, AthlonXP, or P4 motherboard. Here is their website:

http://www.monarchcomputer.com/Merch...ry_Code=hornet

It looks like you can get it in any color you want, but they either come with the motherboard or as complete systems..

Thread Information