Athlon 2200 XP Overheating.
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Athlon 2200 XP Overheating.

Athlon 2200 XP Overheating.

Hey, hope somebody can help. I have a athlon 2200+ xp cooled by a Volcano 9 @ Max Speed 4800 rpm, MBoard: Abit Nf7-S, and my case is a thermaltake xaserIII with 4 case fans. I always have the side panel off and on hot days sometimes I place a small house fan next to the open side of my case to blow cool air in so it wont overheat... Usually the house fan works, but today my computer has been overheating like crazy every time i try to run sometype of game my computer overheats(no other major programs running in the back). It is a warm day around 80F but with a house fan on max speed i would expect it to not overheat. The temp in the computer is about 20C. Processor Temp might be about 58-60C currently.
    Right now the processor is running at 1350 mhz and its still overheating. If I re-apply some thermal grease do you think it will help a bit? I havent applyed any since i built the computer back in March of 2003.
    Please Help! Any suggestions on how I can fix this problem please help.

P.S. On average days my computer sometimes does overheat. I have this problem every since a built just never fixed it, but today no solution has worked

ASUS M2N-E
    AMD x2 4200+
    (2x)1GB Corsair XMS DDR2 PC6400
    Seagate 250gb 7200 Rpm
    eVGA 7900GT KO RELOAD!
    View Sonic Graphics Series GS790
    Logitech MX518 / Logitech Elite Keyboard
    Thermaltake Tsunami Dream
    Hiper 580w Type-R

That is a pretty lousy temp with that low of case temps. Take the heatsink off and make sure the surfaces of the HS and CPU are nice and clean. Apply a thin layer of a good thermal paste (like Arctic Silver 5). Make sure the HS mounts good and tight and is not hanging up on something. It should be difficult to shift the heatsink. . If you are unsure about contact, then take it back off and see if the inprint in the thermal grease is good. Your temps should be below 50'C with case temps that good.

Of corse 60'C under load should not really cause stability issues. It could be drivers (video, chipset, sound...), graphics card, memory, power supply... I'd relax the memory timings first as that is the easiest (after undating all the drivers). Then I'd pull any extra sticks of memory. Then I'd up the CPU voltage, then downclock the video card and/or CPU until the issue goes away. For power supply, sinse you have the side open with a house fan blowing in, I'd unplug your case fans, extra hard drives, optical drives, floppy... and even extra PCI cards and see if the issue goes away. Also make sure all the fans are working (particularly the chipset, graphics card, and power supply fans). Also clean all the dist out of the heatsinks.

All else fails, format the hard drive. I'm leaningn toward the power supply, memory or graphics card,not the CPU.
    AMD Phenom II x4 945 3Ghz | ASUS M4A77TD | 2X WD 1TB SATA 2 hard drive | 2x2GB Corsair XMS3 | nVidia GeForce 8800 GTS | ATI TV Wonder Theater Pro 550 | Antec P-160 case | Antec 650w Earth Watts | LG Blu-ray Super Drive | LG DVD RW | Windows 7 Pro

Hey, ive updated all my drivers, I switched up the Power settings. I gave my proccesor some more juice and set my video card to lowest settings. The temp was still high. Then I took off the heatsink and cleaned the dust out of it. Then a set a good layer of the some thermal grease that I found at pc store near me. I wasnt able to get my hands on the Artic Silver 5 yet. Also I place a sensor on the proccesor which shows me the temp of the proccesor on the LCD hooked up to my case. I never had this piece installed. When i rebooted the computer I saw that my PC reads the temps higher than the LCD Screen. The LCD hovers around 47 Degree C and pc 58-60+. I dont know if thats some error or the pc is just more accurate. Right now I have the house blowing in it agian and my pc running at 1.3 ghz since it wont over heat enless I run some diffrent programs. The Abit-NF7-s had problems with the motherboard reading Temps incorrectly which I read on there website a while back. A updated bios was released a while back. I have the latest bios so I dont believe the problem should exist but it might im not sure. If there is a error is 47 Degrees Cel. still a high temp for a CPU with min. load on it and a house fan blowing in the pc?

I dont want to reformat the hard drive. Im not sure it will help since I reformat a month back and had a minor overheating problem back then tooo.

I dont know what to do next I might have to take it too some pc store....

ASUS M2N-E
    AMD x2 4200+
    Seagate 250gb 7200 Rpm
    eVGA 7900GT KO RELOAD!
    Hiper 580w Type-R

At this all I can say is get a better heatsink. Somthing like an SKL-800 with an 80mm fan.

When you say you are running at 1.3Ghz, you lowered your bus speed right (not by changing the multiplier)? This lowers your memory speed too. It could be your memory is not handling things too well. Lower the memory timings, pull out extra sticks, swap memory if you can borrow some from someone else... See if it will run at full speed then.

I have 2 Abit NF7 (not the S versions) and they both read the temps fine (Athlon 1600+ at 1.5Ghz and AthlonXP 1800+ at 1.833Ghz). My MSI K7N2Delta-L on the other hand reads very high (AthlonXP-M 2500+ at 2.125Ghz). Check your temps with a monitoring software like MotherBoard Monitor 5.xx. There is usually two differant CPU temps listed. One uses the new internal diod built into all AthlonXPs and the other is built into the socket (or at least my MSI board has both). The diod reads about 58-60'C idle, but the socket temp reads about 47'C. Under 100% load, both go up by about 5'C. Your temps are not really that bad. I have never had any issues with these temps. I've seen systems stable in the 75'C range or higher (even 85'C sometimes).

That LCD is a nice little tool, but it is really hard to get an accurate reading on the CPU. The best I've seen is if it comes with really thin wires and you run them between the pins on the CPU so you can tape it to the underside of the CPU (with a tiny bit of thermal grease). Butting it up next to the core, like most people do, is not very accurate.

Another thing you might check with MBM5 is the voltages, particularly the 5 and 12v rails to see where they run and is they drop much under load. I actually use a program called CPU Cool. It works pretty good for me. It will graph out whatever you want in intervals of as low as 1 second to 30 seconds. You can see the CPU and case temps along with the voltages over a period of time with differant loads. I would run Quake3 in windowed mode or CPU Burn for loads while watching the graph unfold in 1 second intervals.

One other thing (that is pretty uncommon)... I have seen an Athlon that did not seat 100% flat in the socket before locking it down. This made the heatsink not sit flat on the core. The temps were pretty bad and the system would lock up easy. When I finally figured out what was wrong, I was supprised it even ran. I alkso had a heatsink hange up on the socket edge and this was worse. The system would fail in about a half a second (the thermal prottection in my MSI worked great luckily). If I set the bus with jumpers to 100Mhz it would run for about 30 seconds. I got into BIOS and watched the temps shoot up before the thermal protection kicked in at 85'C. I reseated the heatsink correctly and everything was fine. Man that one scared me bad. The CPU was only touching the heatsink along a thin edge of the core. Basically 80% of it was only cooled by air.
    AMD Phenom II x4 945 3Ghz | ASUS M4A77TD | 2X WD 1TB SATA 2 hard drive | 2x2GB Corsair XMS3 | nVidia GeForce 8800 GTS | ATI TV Wonder Theater Pro 550 | Antec P-160 case | Antec 650w Earth Watts | LG Blu-ray Super Drive | LG DVD RW | Windows 7 Pro

you got the latest bios for your motherboard so that any temp reading bugs might be fixed?
    Gigabyte Z87M-D3H l Pentium DC 3.2GHz l 16GB Ram l 64GB OCZ SSD l Radeon 7750 OC Edition l Windows 7 Ultimate X64
    Dell OptiPlex 745 l Intel C2D E6600 2.4GHz l 4GB Ram l 64GB OCZ SSD l Windows 7 Ultimate X64
    Lenovo ThinkPad T61 l C2D T7700 2.4GHz l 8GB Ram l 60GB Kingston SSD l Windows 7 Ultimate X64

Hey, after my pc overheated a few times the pc switched to 1.3 ghz. I didnt play with the multipler.

I also have updated the bios with Flash Menu.

I believe the heatskin is seated correctly on the CPU. I compared it too the images in the Abit manual and it should be on right.

Im using a program called Hardware Doctor to monitor the temps.
    Sometimes when I load the program my fan stops... So i dont like to use it.

I was looking at thermalright slk-800 and thinking about getting it. What do you think about Aerocool High Tower CPU Cooler
    Can be found here: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...Sku=Q131-2500.

I check out the voltage settings. Would you suggest getting a better power supply?

Also, Thanks alot for the help guys!

ASUS M2N-E
    AMD x2 4200+
    Seagate 250gb 7200 Rpm
    eVGA 7900GT KO RELOAD!
    Hiper 580w Type-R

I've heard it works pretty good. It is up there with the higher end ones like Zalman CNPS7000, SLK-800, SLK-900...

Power supplies can cause instability under load, as can memory, heat, CPU... What PS you got?

I have CWT(Channel Well Technolgy) Power Supply its only 350 Watts. I got it when i built the pc it came free with my old case, but I recently got my Thermaltake xaser 3 case and just took the ps from there

ASUS M2N-E
    AMD x2 4200+
    Seagate 250gb 7200 Rpm
    eVGA 7900GT KO RELOAD!
    Hiper 580w Type-R

Never heard of it. 350w is OK if the power supply is a good one, but likely it was a cheap'o that came with the case. Few cases ship with good power supplies as they are usually more expensive than the case. A good Antec 430w True Power is about $70.

Power supplies can be finicky things and cause all sorts of problems. So can memory, but it is easier to lower memory timings in BIOS to fix or at least test if it is the memory's fault. You can try unplugging extra stuff, but this will not always show a power supply fault. If it does fix the problem, then yes a new PS would work, but if the issue persists, it does not rule out the PS. That is one reason why I always get good power supplies now. I've lost a few genaric ones.

Well, I took my Computer to a pc repair place since I was getting fustrated with this problem. They charged me 70 bucks and all they did was reformat my hard drive..... I come home set up my pc start downloading drivers and then my pc overheats. I have a 3 month warrenty if the problem occurs agian. Im thinking about getting a more powerful power supply. Right now ill read threw all the posts try anything I didnt try. Maybe I should of never taken it there

but anyways thanks alot apprecaite it Todd a

ASUS M2N-E
    AMD x2 4200+
    Seagate 250gb 7200 Rpm
    eVGA 7900GT KO RELOAD!
    Hiper 580w Type-R

Thread Information