Power supply help
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Power supply help

Question Power supply help

I am finally going to upgrade my aged PIII system to something more modern. I have not yet decided wether to go intel or amd as the stuff I do has +'s & -'s whichever route I decide to go.

But I did get my hard drives in. Two 120GB SATA Seagate's that I'll be using in RAID0. I looked at their power connector.... and said chit, more stuff I gotta buy.

While I am a heavy OC'er (my PIII 1.1GHz is @ 1.496GHz). I am very picky when it comes to noise levels. Using a sound meter from 3 feet away, my current setup is 26bs. I find that a little more than what I like and do not expect a new system to be quieter. But if possible I would like to keep it at the same noise levels if not lower.

So I am shopping around for a power supply that has SATA power connectors and is quiet. Any of you have any suggestions?

26db from 3 feet away? wow, that's quite. i can hear mine humming from across the room

That would be unbearable 4 me

But what about a PSU

Have a look here

You got a pretty tall order in.
    Very funny Scotty, now beam down my clothes!

AMD Athlon 64 X2 5200+ | ASUS M3N78 PRO AM2 | 2GB G.SKILL Extreme Series Memory | Geforce GT 430 1 gig | 120 gig Seagate 8 meg cache ST3120026A | Lite-on LDW-811S DVDRW | Toshiba DVD-ROM SD-M1612 | Antec True Power 480w | Win XP Pro SP3 | Cable Modem

Judging by how much noise my Zalman fan makes (with exact specs on the net) I would say

my Antec 480W TP should be within your specs, especially if you have cool enaugh case so bottom fan doesnt get too much of a workout

So I am shopping around for a power supply that has SATA power connectors and is quiet
    I'm not aware of any inbuilt SATA power connectors. You just use adapters. The best noise reduction for any PC is to wire the fan for 5V operation. Maybe even get a quiet fan and run that at 5V. The PSU will be a little warmer but this is ok.
    AMD Mobile 2500+
    A7N8X Deluxe rev2.0
    1GB Corsair XMS PC2700
    GeCube Radeon 9800 Pro
    Seagate SATA 80GB
    2xSegate 160GB in RAID0

Originally posted by SexyMF
    I'm not aware of any inbuilt SATA power connectors. You just use adapters....
    above mentioned Antec 480 True power has built in SATA power connectors (at least my revision has them)

I thank you much for the replies , took me a little while to find out that people replied to my thread as my spam filter is zapping my email noticications

One more thing, which of the models listed has strong amperage on the 12V rail? I do not want to get a 'high watt rated' PSU and find that it lacks the amps on the 12V rail. I want at least 25A... more the marrier
    (just from designing 'noisy' systems I built for other people. Without a good amprage on the 12v rail, they could never OC that well.)

Thanks again for your input. If need be I can swap out the fans from a PSU and put in some L1A's, or Stealths. But I kinda want to avoid that as it voids the warranty.
    Last edited by Sinful_Weeper; May 18th, 2004 at 06:44 PM.

Check out the PSU sections here:

http://www.silentpcreview.com/

Check out the PSU reviews and the PSU forum.

Even a 430w Antec Tru Power would likely work just fine. They have 2 SATA power connectors. The power supply has 2 thermally controlled fans that are VERY quiet. They generally run at about 1600rpm. There is also a special fan header so you can hook other case fans up to this thermal controll. The specs on the 430w are as follows:

+5V@36A
    +3.3V@28A
    +12V@20A
    -5V@0.5A
    -12V@1A
    +5VSB@2A

http://www.antec-inc.com/specs/true430_spe.html

That is 240w for 12v. They also state a maximum of 410w for +12, +5, and +3.3. This should do just fine. NewEgg carries them for about $70.
    Last edited by Todd a; May 19th, 2004 at 08:46 PM.
    AMD Phenom II x4 945 3Ghz | ASUS M4A77TD | 2X WD 1TB SATA 2 hard drive | 2x2GB Corsair XMS3 | nVidia GeForce 8800 GTS | ATI TV Wonder Theater Pro 550 | Antec P-160 case | Antec 650w Earth Watts | LG Blu-ray Super Drive | LG DVD RW | Windows 7 Pro

Thread Information