Horror story
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Horror story

Horror story

Working on a friend's computer, K62/450 on a PC Chips M599LMR board. Cpu temp in the bios: 73C

Cpu config in the bios was set to auto, which set the Vcore at 2.4V, for a 2.2V cpu. Heatsink is installed with no thermal compound and appears, from the marks on the bottom, to be very slightly dished so that it's contacting mostly near the edges of the cpu. No case fan; 150 watt psu has the smallest, most restrictive exhaust grille, not even circular but a series of offset linear slots. Most of the cables are right above the HSF, almost touching the fan.

Actually, I don't know about K6-2's, but there were a whole batch of K6-3 450MHz which were basically overclocked 400 MHz ones. Well, overclocked by AMD itself, so it probably doesn't count as such. Still, they actually needed 2.4V instead of 2.2V to work at that frequency. I actually had one of those.

(Needless to say, you could forget about overclocking it more than 5%, no matter with what cooling setup.)

I always wanted to see someone hook up a Vapochill or Prometeia to an .18u K6-2/3+. They would hit 600MHz on air. Maybe there was a little more headroom with extreme cooling. An 800MHz K6-3 would have what, about the same processing power of a Duron at 500MHz?
    My Guitar Hero 2 Xbox Live Ranking
    Main Rig (click this link for specs)
    Certified in: Nothing at all!
    Certifiable: 100% hands-on, real-world experience

On the software side, I put his hard drive (6G ATA66 Maxtor in an ATA66 mobo on a 40-wire IDE cable) into my computer as a slave to copy over software, because internet conncetions were going nowhere at his place. Identified about 11 viri and 45 bits of spyware. He had no firewall, no av, no anti-spyware. Hadn't been able to connect to the internet for months.

I had my K6-2 OCed to 560Mhz with about 2.7V if memory serves
    didnt know about Prime95 back then, but since it could play UT for hours, I guess it was pretty stable

I was using one of those big ALU coolermaster heatsinks with 60mm fan in the middle

BTW DanceMan if you/he can get one of those big ALU socket7/370 coolers from coolermaster (they go for about 5$ in local shop) and better psu, preferably something like 250W 2 fan solution, it should make for much cooler setup

He also needs an exhaust fan, another stick of ram, and a move up to W2K from 98SE, but for now I just want to get him back on the internet and get the cdrw he's had in it for a year actually working (he had EZ CD 4, which I promptly deleted).
    This would be a very nice useful little computer with some skilled attention, and time.

Update:
    It's still at 2.4V, but that's because I clocked it to 500. At 500 it's running at 42C with the cover off. I filed a relief in the heatsink for the hinge end of the socket, did a little filing and polishing on the bottom, and put it back on with silicone compound.
    The Win 98 SE installation is too corrupted -- it's getting W2k.

I would have kept the EZ CD creator. More advanced CD programs like Nero will not copy anything with copy protection (like a Windows CD), but EZ CD 4 will. I use Nero for everything else though.

My K6-2 450 was rated for 2.2v, but it would crash to the desktop in some games (Descent3 mostly) until I upped the voltage to 2.4v. It would not even overclock to 475Mhz, so I ran it at 4x112Mhz (448Mhz).

I did see one site that removed the heatspreader and cooled it with a TEC and large heatsink/fan. They made it to about 720 at 2.9v. That was all the board could handle. I think it was a K6-2+ 500.
    AMD Phenom II x4 945 3Ghz | ASUS M4A77TD | 2X WD 1TB SATA 2 hard drive | 2x2GB Corsair XMS3 | nVidia GeForce 8800 GTS | ATI TV Wonder Theater Pro 550 | Antec P-160 case | Antec 650w Earth Watts | LG Blu-ray Super Drive | LG DVD RW | Windows 7 Pro

Originally posted by Todd a
    I would have kept the EZ CD creator. More advanced CD programs like Nero will not copy anything with copy protection (like a Windows CD), but EZ CD 4 will.
    CloneCD

I love Nero, but it has become so mainstream, that it caters to the big companies and not us little guys anymore. I use EZ CD because I got it with one of my CD recorders free and it works (at least for copying certain CDs).
    AMD Phenom II x4 945 3Ghz | ASUS M4A77TD | 2X WD 1TB SATA 2 hard drive | 2x2GB Corsair XMS3 | nVidia GeForce 8800 GTS | ATI TV Wonder Theater Pro 550 | Antec P-160 case | Antec 650w Earth Watts | LG Blu-ray Super Drive | LG DVD RW | Windows 7 Pro

Thread Information