[RESOLVED] urgent laptop help plz
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: [RESOLVED] urgent laptop help plz

Thumbs up [RESOLVED] urgent laptop help plz

got a used laptop with a broke dvd rom to expensive to replace so got an external dvd rom great but then i tried to format from win 98 to xp formatted ok but heres the problem the dvd drive via usb is not getting picked up either in bios or startup the faulty original dvd rom is there but cant be swapped in bios anyone know how i can get it to recognise the external dvd rom so i can install win xp

the only thing i can think is win xp on floppies loads of them but never seen it on floppies

any ideas
    thx andy

Welcome to the forum, Andy. Try not to post to multiple forums here on the same subject. You will get better responses if you stick to one place.

I take it you have already formatted the hard drive, so you no longer have an operating system? Not every BIOS will recognize a USB device as a boot device (some newer ones will), and that is what you are running into.

You may want to try to boot to a floppy, and then see if you can change directories to the USB device. You can get a good boot disk at www.bootdisk.com

That may not work, though.

If not, you may have to think about getting an adaptor to allow you to hook up your notebook hard drive as a slave to a desktop machine and using the desktop to allow you to copy the installation files from the XP CD onto the notebook hard drive, reinstalling the notebook hard drive, and installing from there. Here is a link to what that adaptor looks like.

http://www.compgeeks.com/details.asp?invtid=205-1991

Welcome to Hardware Central.

You ought not double or triple post. You can delete the extras by going to the posts, clicking on Edit and the option to delete is up on top.

You definitely win the run-on sentence of the day award.

I haven't dealt with this exact problem, but I would try to solve it via a floppy boot disk. There is a four floppy set of install prep disks for Win 2K and I think there is a similar for XP. You can download boot disks from bootdisk.com or get the set from M$. I'd try this and see if it picks up the USB drive. And I'd look around at download.com for anything to do with drivers for USB drives on boot disks.

Good luck and keep us posted.

thx for reply do u know any uk sites where i could get that adapter also the bootdisk site there are so many would u know which 1 i would need thx andy

That adaptor is not an uncommon thing. A good computer supply store ought to be able to set you up. Sorry, I don't know much about UK sites for the purchase.

You simply pull out the notebook hard drive, attach the adaptor, hook it up as a slave in your desktop and go from there.

As to a boot disk, try one for Win98. I think all you want to be able to do is to get to an A prompt and then try to change directories. I am not wholly optimistic about your chances, but maybe so.

What is the notebook you are working with? It would help to know.

jimbo's right. Those adapters are only about $10Cdn at the shops locally. You can just copy the whole cd onto the laptop drive, then once it's back in the laptop, boot from floppy, switch to the C drive and away you go.
    Since you won't be able to format over the copied cd, you would want to format the laptop drive to NTFS, if you're going to use that, while it's in the desktop as a slave. And run the 4-disk install set of floppies in the laptop before beginning the install.

XP bootdisks here Note: there were 4 different links for the four different versions of XP.

I hear a lot of folks mention Dabs as a source. 19.97 inc VAT (17.00 ex VAT) seems a bit steep to me for this part.

As for installing Windows, Copy the appropriate files from the CD to the harddrive and run setup from the hard drive. The install is much quicker than running it from the CD.

And as for internal unit being too expensive to replace, have you checked local comp shops
    Most of those drives are made by TEAC, TOSHIBA and few other manuf. and come in but a few different formats
    Prices should start at around 70$ for CD-RW and up to 200$ for DVD-RW

Of course IBM, Sony and other big manufacturers have their own ideas on what to charge, so never buy laptop parts from their sites, unless you absolutely have to
    Last edited by F_A_L_C_O_N; July 17th, 2004 at 07:57 PM.

$10 Cdn woud be about $7.50 US, or about 5 pounds (unsure of current exhange rate).
    The Dabs price sounds exorbitant.

Multiple threads merged.
    - Shinma
    "I know nothing."
    Cheers.

thx to all laptop up and running

the windows xp bootable discs done the trick xp now up and running fine

thx to everyone who gave there time and posted help

thx again
    andyforbes@blueyonder.co.uk

Thread Information