suggestions on apple iPods please.
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: suggestions on apple iPods please.

suggestions on apple iPods please.

Hi,
    I am interested in getting an iPod. I like the iPod minis because they are so tiny but they are also only 4GB. 4GB of music is incredible but when i can get a 10GB iPod (not mini) for maybe $50 more I would rather do that.
    My concern is that I am reading allot about the concerns with the rechargeable, non-replaceable (unless "hacked") batteries that ship with the iPods. I have read allot about how after only 2 months sometimes the batteries are down to 3 hours of play time. I have read review after review about this but have not come across much for the iPod mini.
    do any of you own these (3rd generation iPod, or 4gb iPod mini)? Do you have problems with batteries? is there a difference (battery life wise,) between the mini and the full?
    $200-$300 is a big investment for a music player so I want to be sure I wont be regretting it.
    Thanks for any suggestions.
    Stephen
    Last edited by in2jesus18; January 19th, 2005 at 11:33 AM.

ipod minis are 4 GB. I've had my mini for about 7 or 8 months and the battery seems fine. Lasts 6-8 hours (though I use the backlight too).
    "I will show you fear in a handful of dust."

one of my mates has an Ipod mini and the other has a ipod 20GB i think it is, and from using and looking at both id much rather have the mini because of its size.
    Gigabyte Z87M-D3H l Pentium DC 3.2GHz l 16GB Ram l 64GB OCZ SSD l Radeon 7750 OC Edition l Windows 7 Ultimate X64
    Dell OptiPlex 745 l Intel C2D E6600 2.4GHz l 4GB Ram l 64GB OCZ SSD l Windows 7 Ultimate X64
    Lenovo ThinkPad T61 l C2D T7700 2.4GHz l 8GB Ram l 60GB Kingston SSD l Windows 7 Ultimate X64

I have the IPOD 20. brought over a year ago.

I have never been in love with it. I have had it freeze on me more than once and now the battery is showing signs of not holding a charge when sitting in a desk drawer.

I love the I-tune set up on the pc and the quick sorting and copy/paste of songs.

I have about 5 gigs of music on it.

When the time comes, I will looking into some other products that can give me more reliability. Nothing is worse then to be mowing the lawn or snowblowing or motorcycle riding and having it lock up and the way to unlock it doesn't always work.

Thanks for your input. I think I will wait for now and see how prices get now that the new ipod shuffles are out. Maybe the others will drop. If not, I guess I will wait untill I really need it.
    Thanks again,
    Stephen

Why don’t you try the Creative Zen Micro ? (I think there are few other iPod clones as well) , it is a direct competitor to the to the iPod mini and supports MP3 / WMA , 5Gb storage space, FM tuner + a removable battery. Here is a review : . The Zen Micro: Creative Guns for the iPod

1. AMD AXP 2600+ @ 2.34Ghz (167x14) Cooled with CoolerMaster Aero7+ / Asus A7V8X-X (KT400) / 1GB 333MHz RAM / Maxtor 120Gb DMAX Plus 9 / GeCube Radeon 9600Pro / PixelView PlayTV Pro / Acer 21” Monitor / SB Live! / NEC ND-2500A 8x DVD±RW / Sony CRX-320EE Combo Drive

2. AMD AXP 1600+ (Stock cooler) / MSI K7T Turbo2 / 512Mb 133MHz RAM / Maxtor 80Gb DMAX Plus 9 / Gigabyte Radeon 9200 / Philips 17” Monitor / Sony CRX 160 CDRW / Asus E616 16x DVD

3. IBM 300PL PIII

Im liking the look of the dell jukebox as i have had problems with other creative products inthe past...

in2jesus18-

4GB of music is incredible

Not when you have 29gigs of mp3s like i do

wow, I've got only 7gb of music. Then again, I also encode at 128kb as my ears cant tell the difference of anything higher.
    thanks for the info about then zen. I'll take a look.
    stephen

Thread Information