[RESOLVED] Disable CD Eject button
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: [RESOLVED] Disable CD Eject button

Thumbs up [RESOLVED] Disable CD Eject button

Hi,
    I've got my wonderful 16 month old daughter who has just discovered the eject button on my CD drive. Is there any software that can disable the eject button? The tower is on the floor, so it would be too hard to lift it up, and blocking her isn't very feasible. Any help is appreciated. Thanks
    Michael
    There's no place like 127.0.0.1

"Secular nations have one thing in common-mass graves, and the reason is that they believe the government is the final arbiter of right and wrong and good and evil." -Rob Schenk

"I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution which granted a right to Congress of expending, on the objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents." -James Madison

Type gpedit.msc in the run box and use the templates if this xp logged in as admin should be something in there or just gpedit if its 9x I believe. If this is a cdr and using ezcd creator disable the prog and directcd from running in the background and the eject button won't work.

Thumbs up

I realize this is 3yrs after you asked, but this forum was one of the highest results while searching for "disable eject button", so I thought I'd post what I found so that others can benefit from it as well!

I found a program called CDRom-Lock which does just that - locks your cd-rom. It can open, close, lock and unlock either a single cd-rom or all of them simultaneously. This has been extremely helpful as my 13 month old son has also discovered the eject button on my tower which is near the floor!

Note: When you install the application, even if you specify English as your language, it seems to default to German (Deutsch). To resolve this, once the application is running (double-click the system tray icon), select the second menu option "Bearbeiten" (Edit), and then "Optionen" (Preferences). When the preferences window comes up, you'll see "Sprache" (Language) and will of course be able to recognize "English". Select English and click Apply. Unless of course you prefer German!

Then you can either check "all CD/DVD drives" to lock or unlock all of them simultaneously (note: open and close functions work for all as well), or leave "all" unchecked and select from the drop-down which cd-rom to perform the action on.

Enjoy!

I'm sure after 3 years his daughter has been able to learn that pressing the CD drive button is not something that is enjoyed
    Intel 2500k @ 4.5 GHz | Sapphire 6870 1GB | 8GB DDR31600 | Gigabyte Z68A-D3H-B3 | 640 GB WD Caviar Black | 500GB WD something | ASUS Xonar DS | Logitech Z-5300e | Logitech G500 | Das Keyboard Cherry MX Brown | Dell S2740L

Well, my daughter has outgrown it, but my two year old son has discovered it now! Thanks for the tips!
    There's no place like 127.0.0.1

"Secular nations have one thing in common-mass graves, and the reason is that they believe the government is the final arbiter of right and wrong and good and evil." -Rob Schenk

"I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution which granted a right to Congress of expending, on the objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents." -James Madison

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Flannel
    Well, my daughter has outgrown it, but my two year old son has discovered it now! Thanks for the tips!
    A trip back in history. I love it.
    jadinolf

I found a nice little program called Toddler Key that is free and works great! My now 5 year old and 2 year old always would mess with my wife's computer, and this program not only locks out the keyboard (if they press a key or the move the mouse it can show pics on your harddrive and draw lines) but also disables all cd eject buttons and even the reset and power switches. Great program, and again it's free!

http://tk.ms11.net/

PS: It works fine in XP, haven't tried it yet in Vista, but it works on all 8 of my XP systems, and all you have to do is type quit to get back to the desktop.

thanks, that program would come in handy.

I wrote LockCD application after giving up on finding a properly functioning software that would lock the CD ROM eject button which i hit quite frequently on my Lenovo T520 laptop. The main problem with the software found over the internet was that it wouldn't retain the lock state after Sleep/Resume. I made it freely available at http://sourceforge.net/p/lockcd/wiki/Home/

Thread Information