Burning cd's/speed
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Burning cd's/speed

Burning cd's/speed

When you guys/gals burn cd's, do you use the highest speed it can use? Does it degrade the cd/sound quality when using a faster speed or not?

Seems I always use/select a slower speed to be sure. Am I missing something?
    Asus A7V8X mobo bios 1013
    Athlon MobilXP 2600 + @ 15x167
    vcore 1.7v
    ThermalTake Volcano 12 Extreme
    Enermax 350W PS
    GEIL PC3200 CL2 3-3-6
    Seagate Barracuda 40g hd
    Saphire Radeon 9800Pro Atlantis 128
    core378/mem337.5 default
    Catalyst 5.12/dx9.0c
    Win 2000pro
    Liteon 40x12x48 burner
    Liteon DVD
    Old floppy
    Logitech MX310 Optical
    DSL modem and (one old dial up for work purposes)
    Turtle Beach Santa Cruz Audio

when i burn music cds i just burn at the maximum which is 52x for me...but i think i've heard that doing so will shorten the life of the cd and that for music, you should burn at about 32x or lower...but cd lifespan isn't a problem for me so i just crank up the speed...
    P4C 2.8ghz o/c'ed to 3.36ghz
    Asus P4C800 Deluxe mobo
    2 x 512mb Kingston HyperX pc4000 DDR
    nVidia GeForce 6800
    Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS Gamer
    160GB 7200rpm SATA Seagate
    74GB 10000rpm Western Digital Raptor
    ATI TV Wonder Pro

hello
    if any of your players have trouble reading cd,s burnt at highest speed rule of thumb is to burn at slower speed till all can read them. speed makes a difference in some things.
    •••resistance is invigorating!•••
    kill spyware
    http://spywarewarrior.com/index.php

If your playback units don't experience difficulty playing back your burned discs, you should use your burner at its design speed. Testing has shown that errors actually increase as a high-speed burner is slowed down. Unless you have a recorder/media/player mismatch -- which sometimes can be helped by slower burn speeds -- you should be fine using the fastest available speed supported by the media.

i havent had a problem burning everything at 52x.....

Originally posted by NoBoB
    If your playback units don't experience difficulty playing back your burned discs, you should use your burner at its design speed. Testing has shown that errors actually increase as a high-speed burner is slowed down. Unless you have a recorder/media/player mismatch -- which sometimes can be helped by slower burn speeds -- you should be fine using the fastest available speed supported by the media.
    NoBob. A rule of thumb that I like to use when slowing down a burn is to use the maximum speed that the Burner can manage at the start of disk (inner tracks) and set that as the burn speed for the entire burn.

This typically translates to about 16x to 20x constant for a 40x burner and 24x constant for a 48x or 52x burner. On some model burners I've found it can really increase the reliability of the burn by allowing it to burn the entire disk without speed change.

Also the time difference is much less than you'd expect from simple comparison of the numbers. This of course is due to the fact that a 48x burner typically only achives that speed for a small period at near the end of a burn. For example I find that a 24x (constant speed) burn usually only takes about 30 seconds (or about 20%) longer than a 48x (variable speed) burn! Something like that anyway, I dont really notice the time difference.
    Last edited by uart; April 18th, 2004 at 01:30 AM.

i always just rip and burn at 16x cuz even when i burn at 48x its not that much quicker anyway. plus if i have a lot of cds to burn i can run 2 cdrs at 16x. i havent tried 3 simu with the dvd burner yet tho...
    IWill KK266+/TBird 1.4ghz/512 mb pc133/Maxtor 40 gb 7200/Seagate 80 gb 7200/Ati Radeon 9250/Voodoodie 2000 pci on 17, 17, & 15" monitors/
    Windows 2000

Toshiba Satellite A75-S211 [3.2 ghz p4, 80 gb, 768 ram, dvd burner, usb2 300 gig maxtor, el cheapo usb2 DL dvd burner
    Windows XP Home SP2

Thread Information