AHOY. She's built. For the most part.
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: AHOY. She's built. For the most part.

AHOY. She's built. For the most part.

Got it put together: antec case, DFI mobo, 2400 XP mobile, went with OCZ 3200 2-2-2 512 MB, 900a heatsink with panaflo sitting on top, 120 fan at rear blowing out, 120 fan up front turned all the way down via rheostat (sp).

Booted up nice. XP install went well. I'll be visiting Black Viper's site soon to do some XP tweaking.

Downloaded CPUID, Sandra, memtest, and something else. CPUID indicated I was at 133 FSB and 6 multiplier for a wopping 800 MHz. I let it stay there for a day. Earlier today I bumped the FSB up to 200, so am at 1200 MHz currently and will let it stay there for a day until I figure out what to do from here.

I've got to reread some posts to reconceptualize how to OC. At another site they often speak of downloading new BIOS for the mobo, beta ones. I'm a little iffy on that until I learn a lot more.

There's a lot of stuff to do and get excited about. Tonight I'll be researching something to monitor the CPU temps while in windows.

Oh yes, this "Prime95" thing... I thought it was some fancy stress tester and the site I went to said it was some kind of search program for *prime numbers.* is that the program people speak of? Not what I had in my thoughts when hearing this program being tossed about in various forums

I kinda want to see how sporty my memory is. Do I just keep uping the FSB in small increments and see when the system fails to boot? I've left the multi at 6...some murky remembrance of a poster going with a small multi to see how high the RAM will go while knowing it isn't because the CPU is the limiting factor.

Oh yeah, that whole cas, ras, t-ras, and something going to "11" for athlon chips. Fun, fun, fun.

Now is not the time to assault my PC with my ignorance, I'm off to read up.

I want to learn that Ghost program too, so I can make an image of my partition.

ta, I'll keep you up to date,
    -SynapticBliss

Re: AHOY. She's built. For the most part.

Welcome to the wonderful world of DIY. I think you'll enjoy it greatly.

Originally posted by SynapticBliss
    Downloaded CPUID, Sandra, memtest, and something else. CPUID indicated I was at 133 FSB and 6 multiplier for a wopping 800 MHz. I let it stay there for a day. Earlier today I bumped the FSB up to 200, so am at 1200 MHz currently and will let it stay there for a day until I figure out what to do from here.
    First, the voltage is probably at 1.65, so you'll want to push that down to 1.45. At least bump the multiplier up to 9 until you decide what to do next. I believe that 1.8GHz is the stock speed for the 2400+, so that's what she's designed to run at. You'd be safe bumping it up to 10 most likely even at stock voltage.

I've got to reread some posts to reconceptualize how to OC. At another site they often speak of downloading new BIOS for the mobo, beta ones. I'm a little iffy on that until I learn a lot more.
    Begin by adjusting the multiplier and voltage in small increments. For example, to hit 1.9 or 2.0, you probably don't even have to adjust the voltage. If you do, increase it from 1.45 to 1.5 and test it out. Keep doing this up and up and up, monitoring the temperature and using stability-testing programs like Sandra and Prime95. Its not really too tricky, you just have to make sure everything is stable and that your chip isn't running too hot.

There's a lot of stuff to do and get excited about. Tonight I'll be researching something to monitor the CPU temps while in windows.
    Since the DFI board is a nForce2 board, there is a program made by nVidia to tap into the bios and monitor your settings. You must be upgraded to the latest drivers to use this utility, both are available here.

Oh yes, this "Prime95" thing... I thought it was some fancy stress tester and the site I went to said it was some kind of search program for *prime numbers.* is that the program people speak of? Not what I had in my thoughts when hearing this program being tossed about in various forums
    That is the correct program - it does calculate Prime numbers but that's how it stresses the CPU as its an processing-intensive application.

I kinda want to see how sporty my memory is. Do I just keep uping the FSB in small increments and see when the system fails to boot? I've left the multi at 6...some murky remembrance of a poster going with a small multi to see how high the RAM will go while knowing it isn't because the CPU is the limiting factor.
    You can try upping the fsb past 200 and should be able to do so without too many problems, but keep in mind upping the fsb doesn't just change the memory speeds, it changes the system speeds as well, including the chipset I believe. Of course you're going to want smaller multipliers if you're running at a higher fsb, for example 220x10 = 2200, whereas 200x10 equals 2000, and if you're going for more of a fsb overclock than simply multiplier for your processor speed, you're going to want to have a lower multiplier. However you're going to get to a point where you'll experience instability if you push your fsb too high, so you'll want to back it down a bit, then push your multiplier up to find the perfect combination of a fsb and multiplier adjustment.

Read up, and then let us know how successful you are. Oh, and if you wouldn't mind, after bumping your multi up to the stock 9 and turning down your voltage to 1.45, relay back what your stock temperatures are in the bios. I'm curious to see what they are with that 900a.
    Opteron 165 @ 280x9 = 2.52GHz
    ASUS A8N32-SLI Deluxe
    BFG 7600GT OC
    Corsair 2GB DDR400 Dual Channel
    Seagate Barracuda 200GB SATA
    NEC 3500A 16X DL DVD±RW

There are a few things about the mobile AthlonXP. Because it is a mobile chip it uses Power Now for speed stepping to run the CPU at lower speeds when not under load. This chip is not really made for the desktop because of this and at defuault settings will set the multiplier MUCH lower than it would normally be (13x for my 2500+ and 12.5x for your 2400+). You need to manually increase the multiplier in the system BIOS. Hopefully your motherboard's BIOS supports this or you will likely need to get a differant motherboard or CPU to get much farther.

I am currently running at 170Mhz x12.5 for 2.125Ghz and things are 100% stable (converting a DVD to Divx is pretty stressfull). I'm at 1.65v to run here, but my memory can go no farther without stripping down the timings too much and then it only goes a bit higher. I likely will swap this CPU into another system of mine that has an Abit NF7 and 2x256MB Geil PC-3200 2-6-2-2. I just got that system put together with my old AthlonXP 1800+ (which does 1.833Ghz). It would require a bit of shifting parts around (HD, DVD, CDWR, and Graphics), but I want to mod the case first. I just orders 2 LED UV fans and a pair of UV and blue 12" cold cathodes. I still need to figure out the design for the window too. Those parts will likely not come before the holiday.
    AMD Phenom II x4 945 3Ghz | ASUS M4A77TD | 2X WD 1TB SATA 2 hard drive | 2x2GB Corsair XMS3 | nVidia GeForce 8800 GTS | ATI TV Wonder Theater Pro 550 | Antec P-160 case | Antec 650w Earth Watts | LG Blu-ray Super Drive | LG DVD RW | Windows 7 Pro

Ah, thanks for the wonderful replies.

Go down to 1.45v, eh STP? Bump the multi up to 9...okay, we'll do, brb....

Hmmmf!

Odd. Or not, how would I know, really?

I was looking at my bios and did this:

CPU volt controlled: moved from "auto" to "1.45v"

AGP: kept at "auto"
    Chipset: kept at "auto"
    DRAM: kept at "auto"
    DDR DRAM clock: kept at "by SPD"

CPU Ratio: changed from "auto" to "9"

Kept my former setting of FSB at "200"

Hit my save to CMOS and got this:
    "Backup CMOS...ok"
    NVIDIA boot agent
    <numbers and words here>

Client MAC ADDR: 00 01 29 26 F2 of GUID FFFF <more F's here>
    DHCP

Disc Boot Failure.

Okay, lets reach into the recesses of my mind and pull on half-remembered posts! Yes, that's wise, let's do that, Precious! <Golem off>

I changed to 1.5 v and 10.5 multi thinking someone had once said their chip/mobo didn't like anything under that.

Got the same disk boot failure as before.

Changed to 1.45v, 200 FSB, 8 x....disk boot failure.

Changed to Auto volts, auto multi, same 200 FSB....disk boot failure.

I'm now at default everything so I can post here. Let me get a quick peak at CPUID...

...yep, 133 FSB and 6x multi, at volts ranging from 1.552 to 1.568.

Also, during my first attempt, upon reboot the computer started to make siren like noises, like the ambulance was coming. I heard this sound the first time the other night after installing "hardware doctor" to monitor temps (was recommended to me at a DFI mobo site

HERE . The siren went off because it thinks my CPU fan has stopped working because I've got the panaflo wired directly to a molex; and I've got the power supply fan monitoring lead going to the one for the CPU...it turns slow so the "hardware doctor" thinks something has died and sends me the sirens. That's my take, anyway.

So there it was, my first attempt at OC and it went astray, lol. Oh well, something is going to be learned here.

Suggestions?

thank you as ever,
    -SynapticBliss
    Last edited by SynapticBliss; April 8th, 2004 at 02:35 PM.

Thread Information