Cant get xp1800 below 50C
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Cant get xp1800 below 50C

Cant get xp1800 below 50C

I'm helpin out a friend with his athy system thats been doing some wierd things... ive about got it narrowed down to heat probs, but I cant seem to get the chip below 50-52C.

Its an Abit board with an xp1800, and I've tried both an orb-ripoff fan and a Volcano5 and a couple different heat pastes, but to no avail. I'd greatly appreciate any ideas!

Thats not really a bad temp, my 2400 used to happily sit around those temps on a volcano 9 until i got water.

They can easily go into 60+ so wouldnt have thought heat would be an issue.

What strange things are happening?
    A64 3000+ at 3.2ghz
    1gb OCZ Plat 2
    DFI NF4 Ultra-D
    Galaxy 7800GTX
    600W Enermax
    Regassed prommie with R507a

Ah the new updatedness of my sig.

Thanks for the info... I didnt know the xp's got that hot when idle. My ol' duron 950 runs ~42 idle and thats with terrible ventilation.

After fiddling with it some more, it turns out its behavior was because of the ti4200 that was in there... during boot and in the bios a few random characters would appear in various places, sometimes over lines or text that was supposed to bethere, and then a few pixels here and there would be the wrong colors when it got into windows. Swapped it out for an old Voodoo3 and it worked fine. Go figure.

It's still running hotter than it ought to be. I would check out two possibilities:

Is the conductive paste too thick? This can increase temps. Check the Arctic Silver website for good instructions on applying pastes.

Is there enough airflow through the case? Too many fans can create turbulence. Restrictive grilles can kneecap fans and many cases do not have sufficient openings at the front to feed the exhausts in the back. The cpu hsf ends up recycling hot air.

I had already messed with the paste a couple times and got it down to about 43C idle... theres a fan mounted on the side of the case that also seems to help the hsf. I wasnt using anything as good as arctic silver, but my radioshack paste was a helluvalot better than the uneven goo-pad that the bozo that put it together had left on there.

I'm a lil rusty with socket a's so it took me a couple tries with the paste but it seems to be working now cept for the vid. Thanks for your help guys!

My GainWard GeForce4 Ti4200 w/64MB would go all funny on the screan during some games (Call of Duty mostly). The screan would be paterns of pink, white, and light blue blocks all over the screan. When I reboot, they are differant but still there in the post screan. They only go away if I power down completely. Got sick of it and had to get a new card this week. I turned out get a Radeon 9600 np. Not really as fast, but close enough for my #2 LAN Party machine.
    AMD Phenom II x4 945 3Ghz | ASUS M4A77TD | 2X WD 1TB SATA 2 hard drive | 2x2GB Corsair XMS3 | nVidia GeForce 8800 GTS | ATI TV Wonder Theater Pro 550 | Antec P-160 case | Antec 650w Earth Watts | LG Blu-ray Super Drive | LG DVD RW | Windows 7 Pro

That sounds a lil like the prob with this one, only the junk doesnt go away after a reboot... its just moves in the bios-it stays put in windows; go figure. The vid card is cheap anyway- i couldnt find the name of the company stamped anywhere on it! It seems like "inexpensive" hardware has become "cheap" hardware these last couple years and companies dont even want to identify parts as their own

my palomino 1600+ was the same, but amd say they are ok untill 70C, make sure the vcore is at default.
    Gigabyte Z87M-D3H l Pentium DC 3.2GHz l 16GB Ram l 64GB OCZ SSD l Radeon 7750 OC Edition l Windows 7 Ultimate X64
    Dell OptiPlex 745 l Intel C2D E6600 2.4GHz l 4GB Ram l 64GB OCZ SSD l Windows 7 Ultimate X64
    Lenovo ThinkPad T61 l C2D T7700 2.4GHz l 8GB Ram l 60GB Kingston SSD l Windows 7 Ultimate X64

Originally posted by Martin_89
    my palomino 1600+ was the same, but amd say they are ok untill 70C, make sure the vcore is at default.
    You can do better than default if your board has voltage control. If you're not overclocking the cpu, if your board gives you manual control of Vcore in the bios, and if that control allows you to undervolt (this is least common) you can often reduce the Vcore and reduce the heat.
    I have an Athlon TBird 1.1G, default voltage 1.75V, running at 1.60V, thanks to an AOpen motherboard that lets me undervolt.
    The process is the same as overclocking -- you try a setting, see if it posts, and run a cpu intensive program like Prime 95 or CpuBurn for a period of time to find if it's stable at that setting.

my duron runs at 1.5V and thats default and as low as my motherboard lets me go
    Gigabyte Z87M-D3H l Pentium DC 3.2GHz l 16GB Ram l 64GB OCZ SSD l Radeon 7750 OC Edition l Windows 7 Ultimate X64
    Dell OptiPlex 745 l Intel C2D E6600 2.4GHz l 4GB Ram l 64GB OCZ SSD l Windows 7 Ultimate X64
    Lenovo ThinkPad T61 l C2D T7700 2.4GHz l 8GB Ram l 60GB Kingston SSD l Windows 7 Ultimate X64

Undervolting ability is hard to find. For example, MSI's K7N2 Delta has 0.025V control, but the minimum voltage is 1.55V. A lot of budget boards have only +5%, +10%, etc. options.
    You can find a list of undervoltable boards in a sticky in one of the forums at Silent PC Review.

this board seems to have a big list but has a limmiter if you know what i mean, theirs a scroll bar that can go higher or lower but it wont! not sure why.

I think some boards give you a range that is set by the default voltage of the cpu, meaning that the board is capable of a larger range of voltages than you will be able to access once it's detected the cpu's default.
    In your case, it could be that the hardware on the board doesn't support the entire range shown in the bios.

Thread Information