Need a new Gaming monitor
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Need a new Gaming monitor

Hybrid View

Need a new Gaming monitor

Need some advise. I think my viewsonic 19" PF790 is dying and I'm going to need a new monitor. It will be use almost entirely for games but maybe some surfing. I have about $400 maybe tad more to spend. Really like LCD's but know their not the best for games. Any advise?

Thanks
    Very funny Scotty, now beam down my clothes!

AMD Athlon 64 X2 5200+ | ASUS M3N78 PRO AM2 | 2GB G.SKILL Extreme Series Memory | Geforce GT 430 1 gig | 120 gig Seagate 8 meg cache ST3120026A | Lite-on LDW-811S DVDRW | Toshiba DVD-ROM SD-M1612 | Antec True Power 480w | Win XP Pro SP3 | Cable Modem

I've got the exact same monitor, though mine is performing splendidly <I guess... I bought what I thought was a good monitor to begin with, after much research, three years ago>. I had read, and now years later fully concur, that a monitor should be the most expensive piece of equipment in my system as it will last for years to come and, duh, it is the *interface* between you and the machine.

I like your price point, too. I paid $360 for this monitor in 2001 at NewEgg. I'm wondering what people will recommend at below the $400 price point for a gaming monitor.

I'm also interested in what recommendations you'll receive, Shervie2.

-SynapticBliss

I don't know what most people think on this issue but i'm totally for many of the 21" flatscreen crts you can find used on ebay and some other sites. I've seen some nice 18" lcds but i'd rather play games on my 21" P815 any day of the week. For $400 i'd be looking into a sony or Viewsonic 21" crt and if you can make sure it's an aperture grill as opposed to shadow mask.

A 21" footprint is to much for me. I really would like to stay at 19" size. I been looking at this one, http://www.viewsonic.com/products/crt_p95fplus.htm . Any thoughts??
    Very funny Scotty, now beam down my clothes!

AMD Athlon 64 X2 5200+ | ASUS M3N78 PRO AM2 | 2GB G.SKILL Extreme Series Memory | Geforce GT 430 1 gig | 120 gig Seagate 8 meg cache ST3120026A | Lite-on LDW-811S DVDRW | Toshiba DVD-ROM SD-M1612 | Antec True Power 480w | Win XP Pro SP3 | Cable Modem

Yeah those are very nice. Excellent image quality, very high resolutions and decent refresh rates.

I'd recommend the Samsung SyncMaster 900NF, worth every penny.

I just bought the Samsung 19" 955DF and I like it. I'm a gamer too but had to go with a budget as opposed to refresh rates and all that (which I don't understand anyway )

I like the 3 year warranty and it was 140 dollars cheaper than the ViewSonic 19". But that's here in Canada.
    The more I learn, the less I know.....

My Beerology
    My Heatware

Originally posted by eagl
    I just bought the Samsung 19" 955DF and I like it. I'm a gamer too but had to go with a budget as opposed to refresh rates and all that (which I don't understand anyway )

I like the 3 year warranty and it was 140 dollars cheaper than the ViewSonic 19". But that's here in Canada.
    I had that monitor originally, and it was crap. So I returned it and got the 900 NF. But I've seen other 955 DF monitors that look good. If you're happy with it then that's good.

Make sure you run it at 1280x1024 at 32 Bit color and 85 Hertz. Although I'm sure you already are!
    Last edited by MacNews; April 1st, 2004 at 05:30 PM.

I wasnt impressed with the samsung crt's at best buy, but they were better than a few others.

The one i have is outstanding. I recommend it 100%, this screen is near perfect. I always get 'wows' from new guests, "look how good that picture is!" sort of stuff. It flatout mudded the other screens when they were all sitting on the shelf. It really did look as bright as any of the lcd's there, execpt it had that really smooth crt look to it, if you like that sort of thing

paid $220 at best buy 6months ago, i think a newer model replaces it...
    Last edited by krupted; April 1st, 2004 at 07:48 PM.

Thread Information