How to install windows XP through the Network ?
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: How to install windows XP through the Network ?

Hi there !

I got a laptop that don't have floppy or cd-rom drive ... the only thing that i can boot is lan ... how to boot from lan and install windows xp ???????

many thanks...

Boot from Lan

Hello.
    Do you can resolve your problem from install windows xp from LAN?
    I have the same problem and i can't resolve this problem.
    I'm portuguese so I'm sorry for my English.

Thank you,
    Rui Miguel

Quote Originally Posted by kentruong
    Hi there !

I got a laptop that don't have floppy or cd-rom drive ... the only thing that i can boot is lan ... how to boot from lan and install windows xp ???????

many thanks...
    Does your BIOS have an option allowing you to boot from a network device? Or does it allow a USB device as a boot option, so that you could hook up an external CD-ROM?

Failing that, you may need to attach the hard drive as a slave to a desktop machine (using a notebook hard drive IDE adaptor) and copy the XP CD onto it-then reinstall the notebook hard drive and install XP from it.
    Last edited by jimbo1763; February 21st, 2006 at 12:09 PM.

You won't be able to install XP from LAN unless you have a Windows 2000/2003 server with Remoite Installation Services (RIS) enabled. If you're not familiar with any other ways of deploying Windows XP besides CD installation, then your best bet is to get a USB CD-ROM and hope that the BIOS supports booting from USB. And if you don't have a Windows 2000/2003 server, then you're out of luck for RIS.
    My Guitar Hero 2 Xbox Live Ranking
    Main Rig (click this link for specs)
    Certified in: Nothing at all!
    Certifiable: 100% hands-on, real-world experience

You don't strictly need RIS; I've used the ideas from Unattended to successfully do network-booted Windows installs on my laptop.
    Safe computing is a habit, not a toolkit.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuttle
    You don't strictly need RIS; I've used the ideas from Unattended to successfully do network-booted Windows installs on my laptop.
    Why post something like that when it's more difficult to implement for someone than RIS? If you posted it to demonstrate that you can do it without RIS, well yes Unattended works, but is not practical for 95% of people on here which is why I wouldn't mention it.

Quote Originally Posted by wrathchild_67
    Why post something like that when it's more difficult to implement for someone than RIS? If you posted it to demonstrate that you can do it without RIS, well yes Unattended works, but is not practical for 95% of people on here which is why I wouldn't mention it.

I am not understanding the purpose of that post....

While you are correct that Unattended setup is harder, I don't see the point in posting what you did when all Tuttle did was give another option.

Intel I5 750 @ 2.67 Ghz, 4gb GSkill DDR3 1600, GB P55M-UD2, XFX Radeon 5850. , Seagate Constellation ES 1 TB, Seasonic Gold 620w, Win Vista Ultimate, Toshiba 32" HDTV

E6750 Core 2 Duo, 2GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2 800, GB P35C-DS3R MB, ATI Radeon X1950XT, Seagate 7200.9 320GB, Win XP Pro SP2, Enermax Liberty 500w

HWC Folding@Home Team -- Learn How to Join the Team Here ---Detailed Stats

I stand by my statement. In fact, I remember him asking the same question before. Three years ago and the same question today, so I highly doubt he ever tried/knew about RIS and Unattended is probably beyond his skill level. I'm being realistic, not insulting.

http://discussions.hardwarecentral.c...d.php?t=149313

Care to keep trying to make me look like a bafoon? You already failed in the other thread about Remote Desktop.

This thread started back on 03-22-2004 and nobody replied until si32015 did yesterday. This should have really been a new thread really.

Intel I5 750 @ 2.67 Ghz, 4gb GSkill DDR3 1600, GB P55M-UD2, XFX Radeon 5850. , Seagate Constellation ES 1 TB, Seasonic Gold 620w, Win Vista Ultimate, Toshiba 32" HDTV

E6750 Core 2 Duo, 2GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2 800, GB P35C-DS3R MB, ATI Radeon X1950XT, Seagate 7200.9 320GB, Win XP Pro SP2, Enermax Liberty 500w

HWC Folding@Home Team -- Learn How to Join the Team Here ---Detailed Stats

Quote Originally Posted by wrathchild_67
    Why post something like that when it's more difficult to implement for someone than RIS?
    For thread completeness (future searches), and because the time/effort involved in getting Unattended to work can easily look more attractive than the money involved in getting Windows Server.

I stand by my statement. In fact, I remember him asking the same question before.
    But si32015 is new here.
    Safe computing is a habit, not a toolkit.

I found RIS much harder than unattended or any self built *nix or Windows TFTP server based systems for the simple fact:

You HAVE to have a windows supported network card (drivers in the drivers.cab) which relegates to OLD cards for it to work.

Most laptops or cards now use newer chips that run on the motherboard chipset so RIS won't work.

I know you can stick the drivers in the txtsetup.oem but i found getting a freeware tftp & dhcp server (in one program) easier, especially if its a one off installation.
    Apple Powermac G5, Dual 1.8 IBM G5 Processors, 1gb Crucial DDR400 Ram, 512mb Samsung DDR400 Ram, 160gb SATA-150 Drive, Superdrive DVD±RW, Geforce FX Graphics, 21" TFT Monitor

AMD AthlonXP 2400+, 512mb Ram, 120gb HDD, DVD±RW, Geforce 4 TI4800SE 128mb Graphics, Nforce 2 Motherboard

Quote Originally Posted by kentruong
    Hi there !

many thanks...
    please tell
    me

Red face ris

Thread Information