Here's what I've put together for my new 2400 XP Mo' Bile rig; comments plz
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Here's what I've put together for my new 2400 XP Mo' Bile rig; comments plz

Hybrid View

Here's what I've put together for my new 2400 XP Mo' Bile rig; comments plz

Here's my list of parts, all from the Egg (I'm loyal to em, built my entire first build from them a few years ago). I just bought 120 gig HD, WD at BB, $80 after MIR.

Will be scavenging DVD/CD ROM/Keyboard/Speakers/Mouse/Floppy from current machine.

Is this all I need, top to bottom, or am I forgetting something? (Do I need some kind of connector for the fan?)

I need the Win OS, mine isn't legit and I don't like that.

ANTEC Black Solution Series ATX Mid-Tower Case with 350W Power Supply, Model "SLK3700-BQE" -RETAIL
    $73.00

Enermax Adjustable Speed 120mm Cooling fan, Model "UC-12FAB-B" -RETAIL
    Bearing Type: Two Ball Bearing
    Nominal Speed(RPM): 1800~2300
    Max Air FlowCFM): 63.05~94.92
    Connector: 3 Pin & 3 Pin to 4 Pin Adaptor
    Noise(dBA): 24.60~30.10
    Special Features: Fan Speed Manually Adjustable throngh Variable Resistor.Support Fan Speed Monitoring. Fan Speed can be Manually set by User
    $11.99

DFI nForce2 Ultra 400 Chipset Motherboard for AMD Socket A CPU, Model "NFII ULTRA INFINITY" -RETAIL
    Chipset: nForce2 Ultra 400 + MCP-T
    FSB: 266/333/400MHz
    RAM: 3x DIMM support Dual Channel DDR400/333/266/200 Max 3GB
    IDE: 2x UltraDMA 133 up to 4 Devices
    Slots: 1x AGP 8X, 5x PCI
    Ports: 2xPS2,1xCOM,1xLPT,6xUSB2.0(Rear 4),1xLAN,SPDIF In/Out,Audio Ports
    Onboard Audio: Realtek ALC650 6-Channel Codec
    Onboard LAN: 10/100Mbps
    Onboard SATA/RAID: Silicon Image sil3114, 4x SATA w/ RAID 0/1
    Onboard 1394: MCP-T+Agere FW803, 3 Ports
    $95.00

AMD Mobile Athlon XP 2400+, 266FSB, 512K Cache - OEM
    Manufacturer: AMD
    Model: AXMH2400FQQ4C
    $77.00

Kreton Technology Blitz Extreme Speed Module 184 Pin 512MB DDR PC-3500 - Retail
    Model: BLZ512M-433
    Cas Latency: 2-3-3-7-1T
    Support Voltage: 2.6V
    $92.50

Arctic Silver's NEW Premium Silver Polysynthetic Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver 5. 3.5-gram( 1 cc. ) tube
    $7.15

Thermalright "SLK900A" Copper Heatsink for AMD: Athlon XP Palamino, Thoroughbred, and Barton 2800+ and up
    $38.99

Panasonic Panaflo Axial 92mm Ball Bearing Cooling Fan, Model "FBA09A12H" –OEM
    $11.00

On Sale!
    Microsoft Windows XP Professional with Service Pack SP1a - Full Version OEM
    $138.00

Thank you for your replies, suggestions, well wishes and comments.

Nice configuration you have their.

that mobile 2400+ paired with the Nforce 2 Motherboard and that PC3500 Ram should overclock great!
    Gigabyte Z87M-D3H l Pentium DC 3.2GHz l 16GB Ram l 64GB OCZ SSD l Radeon 7750 OC Edition l Windows 7 Ultimate X64
    Dell OptiPlex 745 l Intel C2D E6600 2.4GHz l 4GB Ram l 64GB OCZ SSD l Windows 7 Ultimate X64
    Lenovo ThinkPad T61 l C2D T7700 2.4GHz l 8GB Ram l 60GB Kingston SSD l Windows 7 Ultimate X64

Maybe its me but i've never heard of Kreton ram, though the timings looks good for 3500+ speeds.

Though you should be flying good effort
    A64 3000+ at 3.2ghz
    1gb OCZ Plat 2
    DFI NF4 Ultra-D
    Galaxy 7800GTX
    600W Enermax
    Regassed prommie with R507a

Ah the new updatedness of my sig.

i was thinking the same, ive never heard of it but its timings are great for PC3500
    Gigabyte Z87M-D3H l Pentium DC 3.2GHz l 16GB Ram l 64GB OCZ SSD l Radeon 7750 OC Edition l Windows 7 Ultimate X64
    Dell OptiPlex 745 l Intel C2D E6600 2.4GHz l 4GB Ram l 64GB OCZ SSD l Windows 7 Ultimate X64
    Lenovo ThinkPad T61 l C2D T7700 2.4GHz l 8GB Ram l 60GB Kingston SSD l Windows 7 Ultimate X64

Thanks for the good words, Marvt74 and Martin_89. About that Kreton, I came across several posts concerning this RAM at OC forums - all good words. Alas, I'm waiting on the Egg to get them in stock again; sposed to get em on the morrow.

Concerning the fans, the Panflow pic shows just wires coming out of it here . Do I need to purchase some kind of adapter.

I'm very excited to get the goodies. I know I'll have lots of questions, thank god I've got a resource like HWCF!

A shout out to STP and FlatV-8: STP, congrats on your build; FHV8, keep the excitement revved!

-SynapticBliss

well im not sure but you can just wire it straight to the molex connector and by doing that run it at 7V (black fan wire to the red molex wire, red fan wire to yellow molex wire) and then it will be silent and push out just about as much air as it would at 12V

Right on, Martin_89, thanks for the preemptive knowledge strike! A perfect hit on my ignorance!

-SynapticBliss

Originally posted by SynapticBliss
    Right on, Martin_89, thanks for the preemptive knowledge strike! A perfect hit on my ignorance!

-SynapticBliss
    Someone as thorough and articulate as yourself surely isn't as ignorant as you propose. You already had a great idea of what you were considering and why when you first posted here.

I wish you the best in building your system, all of your parts decisions were well made should serve you very well. You made the right decision especially on the heatsink right off the bat - I have always scrimped on that, but you can't afford to when overclocking it turns out. We'll both be basking in the glory of the SLK-900 soon. I also hope that your overclocking ventures are as productive as everyone else's here at HWC. Don't forget to post all of your results and overall analysis of your new system once it all gets put together. When do you get your parts, according to newegg?

Hey, thanks for the shout out!
    Opteron 165 @ 280x9 = 2.52GHz
    ASUS A8N32-SLI Deluxe
    BFG 7600GT OC
    Corsair 2GB DDR400 Dual Channel
    Seagate Barracuda 200GB SATA
    NEC 3500A 16X DL DVD±RW

Someone as thorough and articulate as yourself surely isn't as ignorant as you propose
    ignorance: the state or fact of being ignorant.

ignorant: lacking knowledge or comprehension of the thing specified

STP, thank you -- and agreed, I'm not 'ignorant' as goes the word when typically soiled through irregular usage. However, the knowledge I currently have of computers and tweaking is wide asunder that which I see displayed regularly on these boards.

I've been doing a fair bit of research, kicking it up a notch, trying to prepare for a system I'll be proud of building and owning. There's a fantastic, or maybe it just seems so, amount to learn yet. Hence, my literal ignorance of tweaking minutiae. There are programs to learn, like them fancy diagrams ya'll post showing your system's prowess. Little nitpickers like my fan question which I'm sure I'll be asking again in more detail once I have the parts before me. "Molnex," what the heck is a molnex connector? Speculation says its the big plastic gizmo at the end of the wires snaking out of the power supply.

In your post you have a paste of 3DMark2001, I see those all the time, don't really understand what I'm looking at though. CPUZ? Looks like valuable information, should learn that.

And what's with this ONE ? I see this thing in several posts I ghost through, means something relevant, that I'm almost sure of

I gotta learn how to apply the artic paste; hook up fans; wonder what is "too much pressure on the heat sink" so I don't ~crack~ my CPU -- would that too much pressure be like the effort it takes to push in an infants fontanel causing brain damage (I have no idea about that either, luckily I'm not drawn to babies' craniums.

Don't get the wrong idea, I'm not afraid of doing any of these things (well, maybe the baby thing kinda freaks me out) because I can follow directions fairly well. And with the search feature (a true gem) from this board and others there's lots of information to plunder and obscond with to my Neophyte-Overclocking-Lair(tm). Ah, my NOL, my lovely, lovely NOL.

It's about time to push that buy button and commence. Then build, then learn about finding steppings, download programs to test with, learn how to use the programs, learn how to paste the program results into a thread, then sit back with a big macheesmo grin of satisfaction at my accomplishments, enjoying the fruit of my labors and becoming part of a community of people I generally admire.

Okay, where's that credit card...

-SynapticBliss

Cpuz/cpuid programs show details about your machine such as fsb and multiplier speed and also the voltage flowing through your chip

3Dmark01 is a benchmark which does numerous gaming tests and gives you a score and the end, many people focus on this rather than actual gaming performance but the competitional aspect is fun.

And the final screenshot is of a program called Sisoft Sandra which gives lots of details about your system and also tips on improving it, That particular screen shot is showing the bandwidth of the ram.
    A64 3000+ at 3.2ghz
    1gb OCZ Plat 2
    DFI NF4 Ultra-D
    Galaxy 7800GTX
    600W Enermax

Marvt74, I downloaded SiSoftware Sandra. I ran the "Memory bandwidth benchmark."

<just spent about 45 minutes trying to figure out how to host a picture on the internet....hmm, and now a thought occurs to me, couldn't I just paste the pic in here...let us try, Precious!>

Nope, that doesn't cut it. Let me see here, now...

There's that "IMG" there, bet that stands for 'image.' Well, what do you know... lets see if this works...

-SB testing in progress

OKAY, that didn't cut it. I'll just post the LINK to the pic.

I assume this pic of SSS's quiz results shows my computer is special , kind of touched, that is, she's slow. No problem, I knew this was coming :ats computer affectionately::

-SynapticBliss

PS this link better work; why, I spent 25 minutes trying to figure out this yahoo breifcase fiasco. Seems SBC global didn't deem me worthy of my own web site.
    Last edited by SynapticBliss; March 24th, 2004 at 01:23 PM.

A molex connector is a connector at the end of one of the wires from the power supply, it plugs into the CD Rom/DVD Drive/ CD RW/ DVD-RW, Hard drive, some Fans, and some top end video cards.

Great pic, Martin_89. Question, earlier you stated:

you can just wire it straight to the molex connector
    I've some knowledge of wiring connectors (played with my jeep often enough), but usually I use a crimping device to crimp a connector-thingy that connects the wires. That molex connector doesn't look crimp worthy, how do you get the wires to stay in the little sockets?

-SynapticBliss

btw, thanks for the replies. To all that respond to my questions, I know it takes your time to reply, so I thank you very much. Time is crucial, important, and limited; I thank you for sharing your time with me.

-SynapticBliss

Also if you want a no hassel way of uploading and image to use, when typing your post theres an option below offering to "attach file" select your file with this and HWC uploads if for you.

However that may have been more usfull before you spent 45 minutes
    A64 3000+ at 3.2ghz
    1gb OCZ Plat 2
    DFI NF4 Ultra-D
    Galaxy 7800GTX
    600W Enermax

i just push the wires in and they dont fall out, well they did once when i wasnt carefull ( and fried my 6 hour old video card) you could always tape them in.

Thread Information