Another 2500+ Mobile Success Story...
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Another 2500+ Mobile Success Story...

Another 2500+ Mobile Success Story...

For those of you sick of my other thread, well, I finally hit that magic 2.5GHz. This chip is a freaking champ to say the least.

Temps idle at around 44 and peak at just under 50 using Prime95, and better yet, this is with a poorly fitted $15 heatsink!!! Take note of the voltage - 1.675. I think that's pretty shocking that it can do 2.5GHz stable at 1.675V (200x12.5). Of course I can't really attest to its stability just yet - I've only run Prime95 for a few hours or so, but you get the idea. I'm going to back it back down now to a more conservative 2.2GHz @ 1.525v where it idles at 40C and warms up to 44C. Amazing. Do any of you guys think I could pull 2.7GHz with an SLK-900? I'm feeling pretty confident... What kind of longevity do you think I'd get out of this chip running even at 2.5GHz with proper cooling? Will it last me a year or more hopefully? What about at 2.7?

I am just psyched.
    Last edited by SaulTurnedPaul; March 20th, 2004 at 05:57 AM.
    Opteron 165 @ 280x9 = 2.52GHz
    ASUS A8N32-SLI Deluxe
    BFG 7600GT OC
    Corsair 2GB DDR400 Dual Channel
    Seagate Barracuda 200GB SATA
    NEC 3500A 16X DL DVD±RW

OMG, you should be amazed, wow

Guess I really do need to go out and get one.

How is it doing in 3dmark03? You benched it yet with 03?

I am still thinking you should be in the 6000's or so at least. What do you think?
    Last edited by Richard R.; March 20th, 2004 at 03:09 PM.

Re: Another 2500+ Mobile Success Story...

Originally posted by SaulTurnedPaul
    I'm going to back it back down now to a more conservative 2.2GHz @ 1.525v where it idles at 40C and warms up to 44C.
    How could you even think of doing that!!!

Seriously though, that is quite an achievement in its own! I can only dream of hitting 2.5GHz @ 1.68v! These mobile bartons really are kicking out some great overclocks, it's hard to think that they were designed for laptops. (they were designed for laptops right?)

What heatsink are you using at the moment SaulTurnedPaul? Not a dreaded Volcano 9 by any chance? If so, be prepared to be shocked when you drop an SLK-900 in there

edit... Just noticed that they are stocked here... I'm so tempted to get out the credit card and order one!
    Last edited by agw_01; March 20th, 2004 at 03:21 PM.
    Desktop - XP2100 @ 2.4GHz, Abit NF7-S, 1gb DDR500 Crucial Ballistix, 120 + 160gb HDD, Windows XP
    Laptop - Athlon 64 3000, 1gb RAM, 40gb HDD, Radeon Mobility 200, Windows Vista
    Server - P4 1.8GHz, 768mb RAM, 2x 40gb HDDs, Win2k3 Server

With a SLK 900A, artic silver 5, and a Delta 80x38 fan you should get around 2600 or more with 1.8v I got 2750 with 1.9v and it never reached 40*c
    Attached Images Attached Images

Here's where I'm at now and will probably stay, seems to run best here with 1.8v All memorys and cards in harmony!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thumbs up

That is just amazing. You might have one of the best K7 cores in existence!

Damn... I guess Im getting me one of these soon... I got my Athlon XP 2000+ 1.67Ghz to 2.3Ghz with the Corsair water cooling system and it's getting there with 2.1VCore... Passed Prime95 Torture test for about 7 hours with out even going above 40C with the room temp at 32C............ I hope one of the XP-M will hit 3GHZ with my setup

Re: Re: Another 2500+ Mobile Success Story...

Originally posted by agw_01
    How could you even think of doing that!!!

Seriously though, that is quite an achievement in its own! I can only dream of hitting 2.5GHz @ 1.68v! These mobile bartons really are kicking out some great overclocks, it's hard to think that they were designed for laptops. (they were designed for laptops right?)

What heatsink are you using at the moment SaulTurnedPaul? Not a dreaded Volcano 9 by any chance? If so, be prepared to be shocked when you drop an SLK-900 in there

edit... Just noticed that they are stocked here... I'm so tempted to get out the credit card and order one!
    LOL well I know that XPs can run hot, but I don't like the idea of a mobile running at 50C, so that's why I'm having to turn it back down. Gosh, I gotta tell ya, this chip is so refreshing in terms of just temperature. This one runs at 36C idle - with my old 2100+ at stock I was getting 52C idle no matter how many times I reseated the heatsink. Was it the Volcano 9 or what? I'm not sure, but using the Volcano 9 only dropped my temps about 4 degrees from stock.

Well the 2500+ mobiles weren't designed for laptops persay, they were desktop bartons that were found to run stably at 1.45v, and thus their stock voltage was changed to 1.45 along with their fsb speed from 166 (333) to 133 (266) along with the multiplier. Cream of the crop.

Im using the Zalman CNPS3100+ Cu. It's a copper flower heatsink that does its job, but if I would like to get any higher than 2.5GHz I'm going to need at least al SLK-900. Unfortunately buying one of those adds $40 to my overall cost, along with buying a quiet 92mm fan to go with it. But If I can hit 2.7 or 2.8GHz at around 1.8v or 1.9, then it'll all be worth it. I'm wondering if this chip at 2.8GHz would beat out the new P4 3.4GHz EE's. Someone should do a benchmark.

Get one!! That's as simple as it is. Despite the problems with locking these chips due to their PowerNow! circuitry, AMD's gotta be either kicking themselves for not locking these like the Bartons or rejoicing in their success at making yet another fantastic chip. Kudos to AMD!!
    ASUS A8N32-SLI Deluxe
    BFG 7600GT OC
    NEC 3500A 16X DL DVD±RW

I got my SLK 900A for $33.00 here.. www.excaliberpc.com

I love it! The SP-94 heatpipe is a tad better but more money too, they say its almost as good as water cooling without the cost & mess! Excaliber also has the Barton 2500 XP-M for $93.00, guaranteed stepping IQYHA which is exactly what mine is, may not be the best but its a fine number for sure! Man I was gonna just buy another XP-M for safe keeping, I'm sure the supplies will end soon then thats it, but too poor! Hammer 64 laptop chips are now available,so the Bartons are short lived.

Originally posted by flat-v8
    I got my SLK 900A for $33.00 here.. www.excaliberpc.com

I love it! The SP-94 heatpipe is a tad better but more money too, they say its almost as good as water cooling without the cost & mess! Excaliber also has the Barton 2500 XP-M for $93.00, guaranteed stepping IQYHA which is exactly what mine is, may not be the best but its a fine number for sure! Man I was gonna just buy another XP-M for safe keeping, I'm sure the supplies will end soon then thats it, but too poor! Hammer 64 laptop chips are now available,so the Bartons are short lived.
    Sweet! Thanks a bunch for that link flat-v8, I just placed my order a minute ago.

Just FYI I also have the IQYHA stepping so I bet I'll be able to get the same temps and overclock as yourself by the looks of things. How loud is your Delta fan? Oh, and is it a big hassle attaching the SLK-900? I've read about it being as much. This is a stupid question but is this thing heavy enough that it could cause your socket bracket to break? A pound of copper - dang.
    ASUS A8N32-SLI Deluxe
    BFG 7600GT OC
    NEC 3500A 16X DL DVD±RW

shipping said something about 3 pounds, hmm,,not the hs huh,,,sheesh,,is it a pound, wow,,,not sure how heavy this ttvolextreme12 is but it is heavy

ps, would one of ya, STP or Flatv8 send me a link to whom you guys ordered your Mobile chip from?,,thanks,,,gonna order one as soon as i get the link from yall,,thanks

Originally posted by Richard R.
    shipping said something about 3 pounds, hmm,,not the hs huh,,,sheesh,,is it a pound, wow,,,not sure how heavy this ttvolextreme12 is but it is heavy

ps, would one of ya, STP or Flatv8 send me a link to whom you guys ordered your Mobile chip from?,,thanks,,,gonna order one as soon as i get the link from yall,,thanks
    Ahhh, you've been bitten by the bug too, eh? Well you will not be dissapointed!

2500+ Mobile @ Newegg.com

2500+ Mobile @ eXcaliberPC.com

Both are $93 bucks, but newegg gives you free shipping.

Take your pick! I got mine from the egg, but I may start shopping at eXcaliber more now too seeing as their SLK-900 was $5 cheaper than newegg's.
    ASUS A8N32-SLI Deluxe
    BFG 7600GT OC
    NEC 3500A 16X DL DVD±RW

Originally posted by Richard R.
    OMG, you should be amazed, wow

Guess I really do need to go out and get one.

How is it doing in 3dmark03? You benched it yet with 03?

I am still thinking you should be in the 6000's or so at least. What do you think?
    Sorry I ignored this by accident.

Yeah, I don't have a screenshot but I got about 6100 or so. I'll run it again later and post a pic.
    ASUS A8N32-SLI Deluxe
    BFG 7600GT OC
    NEC 3500A 16X DL DVD±RW

I got my barton mobile from Newegg, SLK-900A from Excaliber way cheaper, and they take money orders too! SLK 800-900A both have real narrow base, you need to use the tiny round white sticky pads that comes with it. Apply Artic Silver 3 or 5 as per website instructions, not too much to know really, just smear sink bottom where core will sit, run in then wipe off gently, let it stay grayish color, then apply to cpu core in thin layer. The sink will fit nice and tight, easy to install but takes force. I use a 80x38 near 100 cfm, screaming loud, military grade, bad mofo fan, I love it! I also have a Vantec Tornado 80x38 saving for my sons new rig, waitin for all the parts to get here. We both dont care about noise, just performance! LOL Good Luck!

So, STP, you've been splashing your cash again have you?

I would love to go and order a 2500M, but have got driving lessons to pay for, and seen as I don't have a job, I have no constant income... But then, I seem to be doing pretty well for myself, lol.

I just won an auction on ebay for an SLK-800A! The guy threw in a 92mm Panaflow and a tube of AS3. Can't wait to see how it compares to the SK-6+ I have at the moment. I wonder if I'll be able to hit 2.2 or 2.3GHz, that'll really make my day.

I know what you mean about Palomino's running hot. When I got my SK-6, I had a Pally 1800 which ran 45ºc idle at stock. The Barton 2500 runs at 33ºc idle at stock! That's some drop in temperatures, as you have found out. I've never seen a Zalman flower cooler in action, but have heard many great reports about them, how long have you had it?

Good luck when you get the SLK-900! I've got my fingers crossed for you, hoping that you can hit 2.8GHz
    Desktop - XP2100 @ 2.4GHz, Abit NF7-S, 1gb DDR500 Crucial Ballistix, 120 + 160gb HDD, Windows XP
    Laptop - Athlon 64 3000, 1gb RAM, 40gb HDD, Radeon Mobility 200, Windows Vista
    Server - P4 1.8GHz, 768mb RAM, 2x 40gb HDDs, Win2k3 Server

Thread Information